Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stage 1 w/ Reflash or RT with stock mufflers?  (Read 3813 times)

MoChrome

• Full CVO Member
Stage 1 w/ Reflash or RT with stock mufflers?
« on: April 16, 2004, 08:33:57 AM »

Thoughts and comments please....

I am considering adding the Stage 1 breather kit and either the HD SE 103 Reflash (the one for Stage 1 and SE Mufflers) or perhaps the HD Race Tuner.

The kicker is that I really like the sound of the stock "touring mufflers". I often ride all day and plan to do a two week trip this summer and know from past experince that I'll be happier at the end of an 800 mile day if I keep the touring mufflers.

1) Would adding the Stage 1 and reflash (Or Race Tuner) be a waste of money if I keep the stock SEEG mufflers?

2) If I only add the Stage 1 kit and keep the touring mufflers, which would be better... the 103 reflash or the HD Race Tuner?

3) What should I expect in terms of performace gains?

rugbyprop

• Full CVO Member
Re: Stage 1 w/ Reflash or RT with stock mufflers?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 08:59:21 AM »

Here's my two cents. If you were staying with the stock mufflers or a set of slip ons and the air kit and not planning on other changes down the road....someone elses exhaust, cam, head work etc. If it were me I would just do the reflash. But if you are looking at other changes, made in stages down the roadand or doing the work yourself and dyno tuning later to get every bit of performance possible from your changes I would go Race Tuner. I am not sure what they charge for a re-flash because I have not asked. Another thought if the reflash is only $50 or so is to just go reflash for now. If you want to do more changes later you can always spend the money on the race tuner.

I chose Race tuner to be able to load my maps provided by HD and other aftermarket Mfgs and play a little after I do a change on my own. Also to be able to do install the SE air Kit and exhaust and remap at home in the garage. Saved me all the labor on the install of pipes and Air Kit plus the remap....probably paid for itself right there in about 3-4 hours of labor savings. Did you by from Zylstra's if I remember??? I am going there for the dyno tune in a couple of weeks. They are only 45 minutes south of me. Are you going back to Zylstra's?? maybe I'll run into ya sometime!  [smiley=beerchug.gif]  

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2004, 09:17:31 AM »

I agree with rugbyprop's assessment of RT vs. reflash 100%.  It really depends on what you think you might get into down the road.  If all you are going to do right now is the air cleaner, then even if you have the RT they will undoubtedly just download the standard reflash map from the RT, anyway.

As far as just doing the Stage 1 (air cleaner and reflash), yes it will definitely make a noticeable difference in the bike's power.  You need to change mufflers to make the most of it, but there will still be a difference that you'll feel in the seat of your pants, my guess (educated, but still a guess) is you would get at least 5 ft/lbs. of torque.  I got about 8 ft/lbs. at the rear wheel on my 88 inch '02 Electra Glide doing the Stage 1 and mufflers at the same time.

MoChrome

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2004, 09:19:13 AM »

Thanks for your comments.  I think the reflash is around $150 and the Stage 1 kit is another $150. From what I recall, I paid a couple hours labor to have them installed on my Road King, so thats another $140 or about $450 total.

I was assuming that if I added the Race Tuner that I would need to have the bike dyno tuned. Does the Race Tuner come with a map that is compatible with the breather kit and stock mufflers?  If so I might be better off to buy the breather kit and race tuner and install them myself.  That will also give me flexibility should I make additional mods later on. I can order the parts from Hales HD for 20% off and no sales tax.

Actaully I live near Atlanta, Georgia and purchased my bike from Bud's HD in Evansville, Indiana.  The metro Atlanta "stealers" wanted anywhere from $4000 - $6000+ over MSRP for the SEEG!

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE Black and Blue
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2004, 09:24:41 AM »

One more thing...if you want quieter mufflers that give great performance with the breather and reflash...you can check into HP Plus performance mufflers.  They are quiet while on the highway, and have a nice deep rev when you get on it.  I had them on my punched out Road King for 4 years, and my brother has that now, and loves the pipes for their power, but lack of ear-ache.  Personally I think the tone is better than the tinny stock mufflers, but it is still nice a quiet for touring.

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE Black and Blue

jfscheck

• Senior CVO Member
  • also known as Da' Bear...
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2004, 10:49:43 AM »

I have that same 103 reflash with my screaming eagle slip ons and the air cleaner kit.  Will check it out withe the "gas meter" and if I am running a little lean then I will add a TechIllusion to richen it up a bit...

Hopefully Saturday or Tuesday (wrench's don't work on Sunday or Monday) and I will get my bike home.   [smiley=1syellow1.gif]

John
John "JFScheck" Scheck
H-D Screamin' Eagle CVO Electra Glide Ultra Classic in Autumn Haze & Vivid Black
"Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2004, 11:17:16 AM »

MoChrome, yes the RT has the standard maps included.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2004, 08:55:14 PM by 103tHunDer »

widerider

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2004, 07:37:41 PM »

Mochrome, this is right   out of HD's 2004 cat. race tuner 459.95  air cleaner and breather 139.95. re flash 149.95. If you plan on doing the air cleaner and maybe different pipes and stayin stock on all else the flash will work fine . You can install the air cleaner yourself and have the dealer reflash the ecm. The reflash only takes a few min.

jfscheck

• Senior CVO Member
  • also known as Da' Bear...
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2004, 11:02:21 PM »

Mochrome, this is right
John "JFScheck" Scheck
H-D Screamin' Eagle CVO Electra Glide Ultra Classic in Autumn Haze & Vivid Black
"Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.