Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Bugs & My Fairing  (Read 4125 times)

ggraves427

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's a clean machine.
Bugs & My Fairing
« on: April 23, 2004, 09:25:05 AM »

I went on a four day ride and collected a lot of bug marks on my SEEG paint.  It really took me a while to get all the bug marks off. I had to wash the bike (carefully) and go over the bug marks several times, it was still not perfect so I had to wax and polish it.  Someone told me that before you go on a long trip, you can spray the fairing with Lemon Pledge furniture polish and the bugs will wash off much easier.  Now that I think about it, I believe I have heard this before.  Has anyone out there heard of this, the last thing I want to do is screw up my paint.      
2004 B&B, SEEG, Power Commander, S&S dual runner to single bore Tuned Air Induction System , D&D Performance 2 into 1 with fake left side, spoiler lights, LED lights, air horns, front fender spear, chopped tour box, in dash oil temp. guage

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
Re: Bugs & My Fairing
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2004, 09:31:17 AM »

Why not just a fresh wax before the trip?  or S100 Detail and Wax spray?  They should help...but I admit, I never thought about doing it right before a long trip...makes sense.

The idea sounds the same as Rain-X.  Iuse it on my Jeep windshield which is a bug magnet since it is almost verticle and very flat.  The rain-x helps remove the bugs easily.  BUT DO NOT USE rain-x on you fairing...I am just using it as an example.  A Fresh Wax should create the same type of slippery surface on the Fairing as Rain-x does on a glass windshield.  
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

Kingsalmon

• Senior CVO Member
  • HD gets too much of my money
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2004, 10:44:42 AM »

Remember these are not 80 miles an hour bugs any more. There 100+ bugs. Its gonna take a little more work.

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCSE Black and Blue
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2004, 11:21:35 AM »

1. Use Harley Glaze...I was skeptical but got a free bottle, and LOVE it.

2. Go to Wal-Mart and buy a pack of two microfiber cloths for around $5.

3. Wipe everything down with the cloth and water, nothing else needed, and then wax it using the glaze.  Windshield, fairing, chrome, everything.  Amazing huh?

4. Take a damp microfiber cloth in a ziploc bag and wipe down at every gas stop.  The bugs will just about fall off with the cloth and the wax job.  You can press hard and scrub with the cloth, and it will not scratch the paint.

Give this a try if you have never used a microfiber cloth.  You'll never use anything else again.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2004, 11:38:37 AM »

I use the directions that came with my Lexan windshield.  I soak a full size towel in warm water (leaving it very wet, since I'm going to wash the bike anyway) and lay it across my windshield and fairing for about five minutes or so.  They just kind of come right off.  Of course, having a good coat of wax on the fairing and Plexus on the windshield helps.

If you guys don't know, you don't want to use wax or anything on your windshield that is not made specifically for Lexan.  Over a period of time and miles, your windshield will get a dull haze to it.  Plexus is a pretty commor product and is designed for Lexan.  Also, never use a paper towel on your windshield......just live with the bugs until you can do it right.  Or, stock up on extra windshields (I bought two extra of the 8" dark tinted).
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2004, 11:47:03 AM »

JCZ...he was talking more about the fairing...I muddied the waters by bringing up the rain-x.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2004, 12:10:46 PM »

JCZ...he was talking more about the fairing...I muddied the waters by bringing up the rain-x.

I was talking about the fairing, also.......as far as the bug removal goes.  A wet towel for five minutes (turn your wheel straight ahead and the wet towel will hug the fairing if you pat it down) and wa-laaaa.  No scrubbing, no muss, no fuss.

Then I went on, to make a few comments about the windshield, also.

Don't worry about me, I'm still learning how to communicate clearly. [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2004, 12:23:34 PM »

I tend to go off on a Tangent ... not that that is a bad thing but ... nevermind!

I have to try that Harley Glaze...

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2004, 12:46:12 PM »

Key word there was MICROFIBER though.  Use it, love it, live it.  Trust me guys...this will change how you clean your bike forever.  I've used one for 4 years, and it makes it faster and leaves no streaks if used right.

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2004, 12:48:01 PM »

Oh yeah...and no lint too...and no scratches...and no worries.  You just wash them and dry them without fabric softener and they are brand new.  

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2004, 08:55:03 AM »

I'm a firm believer in the hot water,  except I wet it lay it on for a few minute and then rewet again with hot water.  We must have stubburner bugs  [smiley=confused5.gif] . And if it has to say HD on it they make a micro fiber cloth as well.  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Doc

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2004, 11:33:37 AM »

Yes...yes they do.  With a nice carrying package.  And It doesn't even cost a Hundred Dollars! (H-D)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2004, 12:08:10 PM by Doc »

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2004, 11:48:11 AM »

I don't know about all these cleaning practices, what works for me is just say f**k it and go for a ride!!  [smiley=cool3.gif] it's more fun riding than cleaning and when I'm riding I forget all about how dirty my scoot is!!! LOL!!! [smiley=beerchug.gif]
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2004, 09:58:26 PM »

Check out my bug collection!!! It took me about a 20 minute ride to collect them all, it's actually a pretty nice ride down the western edge of jersey along the delware river (thank god this only happens after sundown) [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]
2020 Scorched Orange Limited

tony1968

• Full CVO Member
  • SEI2
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2004, 10:46:19 PM »

yikes!! that reminds me of ridig thru ms-la-tx on i10 at night... in the spring... bug city!!
i use s100 wax and purple power bug wash and wax
« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 10:48:03 PM by tony1968 »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.