Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Trailer suggestions for towing CVO roadglide  (Read 6772 times)

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2012 Softail Convertible
Re: Trailer suggestions for towing CVO roadglide
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2020, 10:26:34 AM »

Forget open trailers- you spend lots of cash and time making your bike look pretty and then tow it on an open trailer through the rain, dust, snow etc. No way! Buy an enclosed aluminum trailer and you'll never look back. You'll have piece of mind that your bike is safe. The extra space to carry gear and your tools is priceless.

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2020, 10:47:25 AM »

Forget open trailers- you spend lots of cash and time making your bike look pretty and then tow it on an open trailer through the rain, dust, snow etc. No way! Buy an enclosed aluminum trailer and you'll never look back. You'll have piece of mind that your bike is safe. The extra space to carry gear and your tools is priceless.

If you are worried about keeping the bike clean, buy a Geza Gear cover, protects 100%. I like the open trailer as it makes observing/checking the tie downs much easier and quicker. I towed two baggers f/ AB to AZ in a 7x14 enclosed trailer and unbeknownst to me the tie downs on one became loose and damaged both bikes.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 10:49:54 AM by Bungy »
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 SESG
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2020, 12:00:39 PM »

I have a 7x14 enclosed trailer made by stealth. It holds two bikes no problem and like stated before, it's like having a traveling garage. Done riding for the day and they get put on the trailer every night. Keeps them protected from any storms that might roll through over night and keeps people from messing with them. Not only that but when driving down the road if you get caught in bad weather they are protected from any potential damage.

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2020, 01:32:31 PM »

Iron horse  is the way to go. Very light and goes thru the wind great. Great people. i have been to CA then FL 3 times no problems. i added a camera to the back to see what is going on . Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2020, 08:42:17 PM »

I just received a quote from a Texas dealer and yes the are pricey.

Twice what an aluminum trailer would be.

Sure are nice though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2020, 07:11:24 AM »

More important than the brand are the features as most of these trailer manufactures get their parts from the same places. For me must haves on an enclosed trailer are : V Nose, dual axle, electric brakes, venting system, rubberized floor coating, mounted spare tire to name a few things.  I’ve had a bendron titan for 10 years and have put 40k miles on it doing some long trips all over the country with my wife. If you shop around for a 7x14, you can probably find one with all those features for about $5k.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

ultrarider123

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2020, 09:14:43 AM »

Two cents here...for the first time ever, we trailered to Sturgis this year (actually, first time trailering, ever).  With the heat being an issue for me as I'm aging (and recent but fixed health issues) and all the COVID BS, it only made sense to trailer if we wanted to go.

I love the Aluma two bike trailers.  Light weight but sturdy buggers...however, they are not enclosed.  The Aluma enclosed trailers are just out of our price range.

Enclosed really was the only answer.  Mainly because of the reasons mentioned previously about keeping the bikes clean and having a garage space at our destination.  I searched for about 3 months before finding a real bargain at a place in Bowling Green, KY (Trailer World...ask for Steve).  We ended up with a larger trailer than we wanted but it was used, had about 100 miles total on it and was a 2019 model.  7X16, fully finished inside (aluminum walls/ceiling, rubber floor and on ramp, e-trac down the center).  This thing set us back $6,000 out the door.  If you don't get in a hurry and purchase smartly, you can find a bargain.  This thing new, priced with the options was around $8,500.

Iron Horse is just down the road from us in TN.  Those things are VERY nice but VERY pricey, resale value or not.  While you can use them for hauling more than just a bike, that's what they are set up for.

We have a trailer now that can work for all kinds of things and didn't cost us a fortune.  With my Chieftain, I can't use the B&W biker bar (dang it) but second choice was the Wheel Dock Chock...best chock bar none.  Easy to load and, following their instructions, much better to tie down without compressing the front forks.  We used the bar mount like mentioned above so when we have other things in the trailer, the chocks are easy to remove.  We got two, one for my Chieftain and the second for Rick's Skunk.  We got model 4's and they worked like a charm, no spacers needed.

With this first experience of trailering and after 3,200 miles, these are the choices I'd make if we had to do it again, too. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 09:27:28 AM by Haird »

ultrarider123

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2020, 09:26:24 AM »

Inside

Beach Bum

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary Edition
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3 Road Glide
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2021, 01:46:57 AM »

I have an ultimate trailer. Dont use it much but i can load bike alone in a minute or two. It tows great
https://www.theultimatetrailers.com

Vanamal, I know this post is over 1 year old, but I am currently looking at "The Ultimate Trailer" and was wondering if you have any updated thoughts on this brand.  Live in Huntington Beach, so trip to Colo to pick up is no big deal.  Thanks for any input.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 22 queries.