Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Pulls to the left??.  (Read 5789 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Re: Pulls to the left??.
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2022, 06:30:19 PM »

Hope you get this figured out.
I had a RoadKing a few years back that drifted left , dealer said it was caused by the weight of the drive train and how it catches the wind.
 They must go to some kind of stupid answers seminars followed by the smoke and mirrors testing.

Got yeah on that point about asking the dealer I haven't bothered I'd probably get some sort of off the wall answer as well.

Cheers  :drink:

Some things to consider:  Under the "KISS" principle, check tire pressures, first. A deceleration wobble can easily be caused by loose or worn steering head bearings. (Been there). Does it wobble or drift if you set cruise control? If your caliper was "sized or grabbing," you may have slightly warped the rotor.

Good luck!

Greg

Cheers  Greg,  I've done the checks you mentioned before heading out making sure those basses were covered. I've even checked the front tyre for wearing evenly with a tread gauge. 

There's no deceleration wobble issues or speed wobble issue.

Yes it's with the cruise control set at 60 or 70 mph it will now start to drift as soon as I let go then it starts to begin to with a front end wobble. 
As soon as I rehold the grips the wobble and drifting stops and I can't feel any resistance against taking control.

Also did rotor runout check that was good.   

As previously mentioned alignment comes to mind, WAG maybe wheel bearings, more weight on one side will give some drift. I use my legs to steer in the twisties as much as upper body, just a heads up on that. I had a HD shop trying to address the decal wobble one time and they replaced rotors, tires, front wheel and when they referred to tech support at the mothership the service manager told me not to ride with hands off the bars. I finally tightened the head bearings up myself and problem solved. The fall away test is not consistent to say the least. I think I get 1 1/2 swings at the most and mine handles fairly well. I do keep the bearings greased.

Talking about a high speed wobble I’d look at suspension, front and back, swingarm true?? Has the rake and trail been altered, when changing height on one end the other should be addressed too. I haven’t noticed HD’s being too sensitive on small changes with suspension height because they weigh so much, allot of folks complain about the weight but on the road I say it helps. Could be a faulty tire, I have seen a few of those.

I’m just a parts changer and throwing things at you to consider, follow up with your issues when solved to help others.

This is the most words I've used in one post here to date, so consider half of them. Good luck I know you'll get it.  :orange:

Cheers TN,   I've done the checks you mentioned emptied out the bags.   I'm thinking the head bearings is the next step as you mentioned.  I have greased the bearings till it comes out the bottom but I don't know how much gets to the top bearing.
I've greased them with weight on wheel and with the wheel off the ground.

I appreciate all your words. Cheers  :drink:

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2022, 06:55:03 PM »

Well I've done a loose head bearings check and can't feel any noticeable up and down or back and forth movement . It looks like I'm going to have to open things up to get to the head bearings and give them a little tweaking up.

BTW. I was told wheel balancing could also be a contributing factor to the wobble and side drifting.  :nixweiss:

So I'll be checking these two possible options over one at a time. I'll road test the bearings tweaking first.

I don't know,...I do know it's enough to drive me to drink  :D :drink: :drink: :drink:

Thanks for your input  :drink: :drink:

Finster101

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2022, 07:53:44 PM »

" I do know it's enough to drive me to drink  :D :drink: :drink: :drink:"

Hey, I don't even have to leave the house for that anymore.  :D

vtwinjim

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2022, 01:18:15 AM »

I've corrected 2 bikes in the past, mine a 2002 and a friends 2003, by aligning the rear wheel with the front. Also changed out both rear rubber swing arm mount bushings and the swing arm pivot bearings. Plus the rubber front engine mount before checking the alignment.

You can have the same measurement from the axle to swing arm on both sides but the wheel/swing arm assembly can be pointing off center. Look at the back of your bike and see if the tire looks centered between the fender. You could easily see ours were not aligned. Both a Harley dealer and independent shop said it was normal.

I read up on how to align the wheel using an electronic protractor and a pair of magnetic laser levels.
You lift bike in center, remove the seat and get the frame level left to right. Then you need to get the front wheel straight up and pointing forward.
Attach a magnetic base laser level to rear brake rotor so it shoots a line on the concrete going forward and another on the front right rotor so laser shoots back. If the two wheels are aligned, the laser lines should lay on top of each other else they should be parallel. If they are not, you need to adjust the front stabilizer link until they are.
Not saying this will fix your problem, but it stopped his from pulling to one side and made them both much more stable in fast turns. Enough that I removed the extra stabilizing link I had added on.
Probably can find this online in much more detail.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2022, 11:46:06 AM »

I've corrected 2 bikes in the past, mine a 2002 and a friends 2003, by aligning the rear wheel with the front. Also changed out both rear rubber swing arm mount bushings and the swing arm pivot bearings. Plus the rubber front engine mount before checking the alignment.

You can have the same measurement from the axle to swing arm on both sides but the wheel/swing arm assembly can be pointing off center. Look at the back of your bike and see if the tire looks centered between the fender. You could easily see ours were not aligned. Both a Harley dealer and independent shop said it was normal.

I read up on how to align the wheel using an electronic protractor and a pair of magnetic laser levels.
You lift bike in center, remove the seat and get the frame level left to right. Then you need to get the front wheel straight up and pointing forward.
Attach a magnetic base laser level to rear brake rotor so it shoots a line on the concrete going forward and another on the front right rotor so laser shoots back. If the two wheels are aligned, the laser lines should lay on top of each other else they should be parallel. If they are not, you need to adjust the front stabilizer link until they are.
Not saying this will fix your problem, but it stopped his from pulling to one side and made them both much more stable in fast turns. Enough that I removed the extra stabilizing link I had added on.
Probably can find this online in much more detail.

Cheers Jim,  I do have a couple of magnetic laser levels . I'll give it a go and see what comes of it.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2022, 11:18:56 AM »

More UPDATE

Been busy researching more and every possible options of the issue my bike is having.

Everything I'm finding is about handling which isn't  being an issue.

So I thought I'd do the all the  alignment checks. 

I found the rear wheel to be vertically and horizontally out of alignment to the front wheel.

So I pulled the swingarm isolator mounts

Found the motor sitting back to far so had to push it forward so the new mounts would seat correctly,..old mount cutting into swingarm,..photo,..

I have a digital level to set the rear wheel vertically at a true 90° when adjusting the top dog bone on the motor.

Did a quick  check on the horizontal alignment and I believe it to be out of alignment as well.  I'll be tackling that later as well as removing the fairing to do a swing drop on the neck bearings...

I don't think the drifting to the left and the  wobble when letting loose of the handle bars is a contributing factor of one pacific fault but the combination of what I've found, mounts,  motor seating and alignment

It'll be a bit before I'll be able to  do a test ride .

Cheers  :drink: :drink:

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2022, 03:08:14 PM »

There is a way to align the motorcycle by "moving" the motor in the frame.  Search "Glide Pro Alignment" on You Tube.  It is somewhat involved and looks to be intimidating but not really that hard to do.  Worked like a champ for my SEEG.

I would forward you the link but I am computer stupid and can't figure out how to send it.........

2003 Special Edition Firefighter Road King
2005 Cherry Screamin Eagle Electra Glide

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2022, 07:50:21 AM »

There is a way to align the motorcycle by "moving" the motor in the frame.  Search "Glide Pro Alignment" on You Tube.  It is somewhat involved and looks to be intimidating but not really that hard to do.  Worked like a champ for my SEEG.

I would forward you the link but I am computer stupid and can't figure out how to send it.........

Cheers efrbc1  :drink: :drink:

I did find Glide Pro,  goob video.   I went with the Laser set up,....got the bike all lined up now vertically and horizontally  90° on the wheels and the lasers front and back are showing 13 mm between laser lines at both ends.

Took some doing getting it plum with a digital level at three points, frame ,front and rear wheels. Pulled the rubber front motor mount and have ordered up a urethane one from Drag Specialties..

Hopefully once I'm done I'll be able to to put the bike on cruise control lean back and have a nap without it drifting off to left or right  :drink: :drink: :D
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 07:52:10 AM by longlast »

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2022, 10:29:03 AM »

On going progress,...

Parts pending,..

Prepped for Steering Head Bearings Swing-by check

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2022, 09:27:17 PM »

More issues,.... :(

I found the top inner fairing threaded insert mount (the hole plastic mounting fixture)  was broken away from the fairing and was still bolted to the support bracket (right side).  >:(

Then on the (left side)  the top of the support bracket was broken at the 90 bend where it bolts to the fairing.  >:(

Also the (left side) support bracket that fixes to the speaker was broken at the speaker end.  >:(

Repaired the (right side) by drilling cross (x) holes and twist wire tied the plastic mounting into place then used an (cold weld metal paste) to bond it.

The (left side) I removed both brackets (what a choir removing the main bracket) then welded both mounting parts of the brackets back into place.

Reinstalled everything made some tweaking bends to removing an unnecessary stress from the brackets to the fairing mount fixings (bolting holes lining up).

I replaced the front motor mount with a Drag Specialties Urethane mount and beefed up the centre bolt to a 1/2" bolt.

Shouldn't (hopefully)  be to much longer before I'll be able to test ride and again HOPEFULLY  the drifting will no longer be an issue.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Re: Pulls to the left??. LAST UPDATE,
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2023, 06:48:24 PM »

Well this thread started back in May 2022 has finally come to a close

Had the bike out for its test run today, sunny day but a little on the cool side of 6 c .

The drifting to the left is no longer she runs straight as could be with no hands. Set the cruise control running at 50 mph 70 mph and 90 mph no issues.

Where I thought the wheel alignment was good back in October I was wrong alignment was out.

After setting up the bike all level horizontally and vertically then setting the wheels up with two layers front and rear is when you can fiscally see how much out of alignment they can be.

With that and replacement of the swing arm eliminators , New Avon Cobra Chrome tyres,  replacement urethane motor mount. Wheel bearings.

Anyway won't bore with all the other bits and pieces.  The bike was up on the table lift for about 3 months I learned a lot in all the recherche I did.

And thank you all for your input that was invaluable for helping sorting out the issues.  Ride Safe and have a great year.

I plan on doing a load of motorbike camping this year.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 06:50:35 PM by longlast »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2023, 10:45:24 PM »

That's good news Pete.  Persistence persistence per.... ah hell I need a beer.

Good feeling no doubt to have the long suffering chore behind you (and done in time for spring).

Bet you're still gobsmacked sometimes about having a garage to do this stuff!

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2023, 06:35:00 AM »

" Well this thread started back in May 2022 has finally come to a close"

Good deal, even more more rewarding is what you learned in the process, confidence in a bike goes along way when you're on the road.  :2vrolijk_21:
Wut the hell was that maneuver

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2023, 10:06:20 AM »

That's good news Pete.  Persistence persistence per.... ah hell I need a beer.

Good feeling no doubt to have the long suffering chore behind you (and done in time for spring).

Bet you're still gobsmacked sometimes about having a garage to do this stuff!

Cheers Don,

I'll tell yeh I had a super grin when I put it on cruise control then let go the handle bars and it carried on dead straight.

As for the garage I put a new roof on it . And yes I bo still get hahaha gobsmacked over it. 😎🍺🍺 :drink:

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2023, 10:12:05 AM »

" Well this thread started back in May 2022 has finally come to a close"

Good deal, even more more rewarding is what you learned in the process, confidence in a bike goes along way when you're on the road.  :2vrolijk_21:

No truer words said, and what you said, what is learned in the process.   :drink: :drink: I'll drink to that,....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 25 queries.