Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Odometers  (Read 2368 times)

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
Odometers
« on: March 18, 2023, 09:45:18 AM »

So here is a question for the people in the know. When Harley ships a bike overseas or you buy one over there does the bike come with the Km speedo? The big question is if you bring the bike back to the U.S. do you switch the unit back to miles? Do you have to legally do that at the dealership for authentication?

FELIX

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

• CVO1: Street Glide - 2020
Re: Odometers
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 11:52:27 PM »

Not a 100% sure what your answer would be but in Canada we have kilometers as well so on my bike I can select either kilometers or miles. And switch back and forth between it.

JKM

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2023, 01:19:16 PM »

almost all the bikes outside the US are in KM.
depends on the import rules for motorcycles in your state.
For example, I imported a US market harley into Canada.  Since it was a US bike, it was in miles and not able to change the display (some newer models have that option).  Import to Canada did not require to change the instruments, but I bought a ordered a new KM speedo from the dealer I purchased the bike from in the US (part was cheaper in the US than Canada).

So it depends on what is required for import, but you can also easily purchase a new speedo in miles.  Depending on the model, HD may offer a few selection of speedos for a specific bike, some with more features.
2008 FLHRSE4 (105 Anni)- V&H Dresser duals and slash cut mufflers, Big Sucker AI, PCV, Woods 777, JPrecision Heads

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Diamond Black
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2023, 10:07:54 PM »

All Harleys sold new in Australia must have Km/H speedometer/odometers ONLY! part of our "Australian design rules"

NOT Km/H and MPH like some countries (UK) for example.

When we put a new Km/H speedometer into a used Harley imported from the USA the brand new speedometer takes the covered miles from the ECM and puts them into the new Km/H speedo/odometer as Kilometres.

The covered distance is "stored" in the ECM.

As a point of interest I once in 1993 had a 1978 Silver Anniversary Chevrolet Corvette in the UK, but it had come from Canada where it had been sold new in Vancouver.

It's speedometer was Km/H in large numbers around the outside of the dial AND MPH in smaller numbers on the inside of the circle ! Km's on the odometer of course !
No illegitimi carborundum

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2023, 01:46:00 PM »

Thanks for the inputs..... ;D

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 22 queries.