Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lifter question  (Read 1273 times)

Bav

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Road Glide Custom
Lifter question
« on: February 22, 2020, 06:04:29 PM »

If 18572-13 are Screamin Eagle High Capacity lifters one would assume they are standard on a CVO which is designated as an SE model? Is this not the case? Looks from the OEM parts fiche that my 18 has 18538-99C which are standard lifters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Lifter question
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 06:27:35 PM »

Never "assume" when it comes to the MoCo. :( The parts fiche for your bike is probably correct... even though they designate CVO's as "Screamin' Eagles" not all the parts are "Screamin' Eagle" parts.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 07:10:54 PM »

The "high capacity" lifters were only factory installed on the late versions of the CVO 110 Twin Cam, as an attempted band-aid for the premature failures of the lifter rollers.  The M8 engines have a different valve train and don't seem to need those lifters, so yes you have the old "C" lifters that were standard on the regular Twin Cams.  There are a ton of SE parts in the catalog that are not standard on CVO's btw.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Bav

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 01:53:57 AM »

Thanks gents for clearing that up. Good to know but not good. I feel a bit cheated as my previous bike a 2014 SERK had the SE lifters as standard.

Using Tapatalk

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 08:48:58 AM »

Thanks gents for clearing that up. Good to know but not good. I feel a bit cheated as my previous bike a 2014 SERK had the SE lifters as standard.

The internal parts of those SE lifters are the same as the "C" lifters as best I can tell.  The only significant difference is the bearing for the lifter roller, and so far I've heard no evidence that it's needed on the M8's.  I do understand how you feel though, many of us have felt the same way over the years as we found out the over-hyped "Screaming Eagle" bikes had very little in the way of SE parts in them.  Think of a CVO in terms of how things are done in the automotive world; it's a high end option package, and it's becoming less high end as the years go by and the MoCo removes more and more of the content they used to justify the much higher price.  Compare the paint and trim from 10 - 15 years ago to what they offer these days, for instance.

When it's all said and done, the important thing is if you enjoy riding the bike.  If you do, the pedigree of the parts shouldn't make any difference.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Bav

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 08:58:54 AM »

The internal parts of those SE lifters are the same as the "C" lifters as best I can tell.  The only significant difference is the bearing for the lifter roller, and so far I've heard no evidence that it's needed on the M8's.  I do understand how you feel though, many of us have felt the same way over the years as we found out the over-hyped "Screaming Eagle" bikes had very little in the way of SE parts in them.  Think of a CVO in terms of how things are done in the automotive world; it's a high end option package, and it's becoming less high end as the years go by and the MoCo removes more and more of the content they used to justify the much higher price.  Compare the paint and trim from 10 - 15 years ago to what they offer these days, for instance.

When it's all said and done, the important thing is if you enjoy riding the bike.  If you do, the pedigree of the parts shouldn't make any difference.

JMHO - Jerry

Well said Jerry. I’ve heard of M8 lifters failing but it’s not clear if it’s because they are poor quality or a lubrication problem or possibly both?

Dave

Using Tapatalk

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 24 queries.