Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stock 15 head light. You happy?  (Read 3689 times)

Afdharley

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

Stock 15 head light. You happy?
« on: July 06, 2015, 10:36:30 AM »

Haven't done much night riding. Not avoiding it, just worked out that way. Anyway, on a twisty tree covered back road and my light is aimed down too far. I'll adjust that but was wondering if you guys are happy with the output after its adjusted properly?

I may be looking for driving lights of an adjustment doesn't work for me.

saddlebow

• Junior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 06 SEFB
    • CVO2: 07 SEUC [gone]
    • CVO3: 15 SESG
Re: Stock 15 head light. You happy?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 01:20:12 PM »

I live in SoCal, love to ride the coast at night and back through the canyons.  The day maker light is so directional that when you lean into any turn you are going to overdrive the lights. I just had day maker fog lights installed on the lower front dump bar, helps a little but still scary. It's like no one at MoCo ever rides twisties.....
Bikers know why dogs stick their heads out the window....

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 01:24:48 PM »

It seems the RGU headlights are set low from the factory.  I was amused that neither the owners manual nor service manual told you specifically how to adjust them.  Up is counter clockwise.  After adjustment, they were fine. However that depends on what you are used to and your eyes.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

saddlebow

• Junior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 06 SEFB
    • CVO2: 07 SEUC [gone]
    • CVO3: 15 SESG
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 02:03:33 PM »

Adjusted mine three times before I got the added lights,  Decker or Box canyon or the snake is like a really bad fun house at night, you can't see where you're going.....the only way to get them high enough to light the corners makes them too high for oncoming traffic.
Bikers know why dogs stick their heads out the window....

Afdharley

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 02:40:19 PM »

Ok then. I'll adjust them and plan on adding the driving lights as well.

New Freedom Shield is due to arrive tomorrow. I'll install that, get some pictures and get that light adjusted. Then we are doing a dinner ride so I'll see if the adjustment helps.

Thanks for the info fellas.

Afdharley

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 11:50:06 AM »

About how many turns did it take for you to be happy?

I just briefly messed with it and didn't see any improvement in my garage. I'll play more with it tonight.

Afdharley

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 10:43:56 AM »

Ok, got it set where I'm happy for now. Really wasn't expecting the amount of turns it took to get any kind of result. Lost count but 15-20+ turns to see a change!?!

I'll keep a 6mm Allen wrench handy on rides for a while to fine tune it.

I did not out a line on a wall and measure off anything like the manual suggests. I found a dark road and would stop and adjust and ride and adjust until I wasn't overdriving the light in corners.

No one flashed back at me on low beam so I don't think it's too high. Doesn't clip off as much when leaning in turns as it did before.

Really wondering exactly what the service department actually did for the PDI. No air in shocks and light aimed at the fender. Maybe I should go ask for a refund on it. Lol

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 10:27:56 AM »

No one flashing back at you (or maybe one out of 10 or so  :P) was always a good test for me too!

So by turning counter clockwise, we're saying turn it righty-tighty to go up, correct?  Cause while squatting at the front of the bike, I think I went left-lucy and lowered the daing thing before my last night drive! 
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 12:18:01 PM »

No one flashing back at you (or maybe one out of 10 or so  :P) was always a good test for me too!

So by turning counter clockwise, we're saying turn it righty-tighty to go up, correct?  Cause while squatting at the front of the bike, I think I went left-lucy and lowered the daing thing before my last night drive!

No!  Sorry but counter clockwise means LEFT,  at least while facing the bolt as you described.  Of course, this is from an old guy who still wears an analog wrist watch.   :huepfenlol2:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 12:20:29 PM by GregKhougaz »

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Afdharley

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 09:22:29 AM »

Hahaha.........if you squish your head between the fender and fairing and look up at the adjustment bolt, turn it lefty losey. Find a dark place and turn it a lot.

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 10:13:21 AM »

I have seen many 2015 coming down the road in day light and you can not tell they have their headlight on unless you really look closely.  This should not be.  The motor company has them setting the light way low and I am not sure why.  I have stopped and talked to several rider about their lights and they mostly where not aware that they where not noticeable in the day time, even with the high beam on.  I have  my bike set up with the passing lights and high beam set to where I look like a freight train coming, as it should be in my opinion.   If you want to survive, you have to standout.  I do not have the day makers on my bike and would not put them on because the beam is too narrow and they leave you blind in the turns.  I have the stock projector they put on the 2012, which will shine almost as far as the daymaker without the large blinds spots.  For safety I added the passing lamps and in my opinion it is better than the full daymaker three light setup. Personally, I would consider some of the new aftermarket LEDs if they had better range and coverage than what I am using, but I have not found a set that out preformed what I am using currently. 
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 08:46:19 PM »

I like the stock daymaker headlight on the 15 Road Glides, once you adjust it correctly.  As stated, from the factory they are all low, CVO or not.  Had to adjust my CVO RGU and had to adjust my wife RG Special.

That said the 15 Daymaker is not as good as the 13 CVO RG Daymaker.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2015, 09:22:20 PM »

The Daymaker RG pre-15 is the BEST headlamp I ever saw. Car/Truck/Off-road buggy whatever it was just amazing. My new 15 is not as impressive but once I raised it what seemed like an excessive amount it is better, but still does not have all the fill lighting the early bike had.
I put some Oracle H 11 (I think) in my wifes commuter car, they are pretty overwhelming. Very bright (6000K), and just unplug and remove old bulb, insert new one and replug connector to harness and your done. They have them for all H series headlamps, good investment in my opinion and warranty is good.

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 24 queries.