Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: New CVO guy, new bike... yeah I'm blue.  (Read 7170 times)

ACfixer

• Global Warming Enthusiast
  • Senior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLSTSCi Springer
    • CVO3: Honda Pioneer 1000-5
New CVO guy, new bike... yeah I'm blue.
« on: July 06, 2015, 02:55:07 PM »

Hey folks. I was heading out to ride with my female ;) yesterday on my 2005 Heritage. I bought the bike new, it was a great bike and treated me well over the years. Anyway, the day started with a pinched tube and a prompt flat tire (which was brand new, we know who pinched it right?). Called my buddy and we pulled the back wheel off and took it to the dealer... new liner, new tube and a four our ordeal and I'm ready to ride again. We take off for Big Bear Lake and the thing starts spitting out codes and check engine lights along with some oil. Well I'd been thinking of a newer, more comfy ride so yeah. I made the jump to a new 2015 FLTRUSE. Looking forward to another 11 years, the bike is a heck of an upgrade over the softail. Of course, as chromed out as it already is, I started finding stuff.

So... anyone know how to move the boards a bit to give me a little more leg stretch? I'm 6'2 w/ 34" inseam.

Anyway, the real name is Lance and I'm glad to meet you.
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue/Crushed Sapphire
15" Freedom shield - TTS Tuned by Fullsac - Fullsac DX pipe - 2.0 cores. 96HP - 113TQ

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: New CVO guy, new bike... yeah I'm blue.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 03:22:53 PM »

Blue?  I doubt that you'll get over it.  Welcome to the Sharks!    :coolblue:   

Search here for Softbrake or EZ Brake and you may find your board answer. 

E-Z BRAKE.com

Softbrake Extended Brake Lever

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 03:27:49 PM »

Welcome!
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

ultrarider123

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 03:29:13 PM »

Welcome to the site, AC.  If'n I were you, I'd re-introduce myself on the new member board...here's the link:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?board=30.0

What Greg has posted should work for your brake issues plus there is a part from HD that will extend the floorboards a bit for more room.  Good luck and again, welcome.

Congrats on a great looking scooter, by the way.... :2vrolijk_21:

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 03:48:11 PM »

Welcome to the site!

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 03:48:35 PM »

Lance, Welcome from Middle TN.  Your about the same size as me and I've mostly gotten used to the leg room other than the brake pedal.  Probably eventually change it out.  I've resisted putting spacers under the floor board mounts to widen boards as I scraped my old Ultra Limited so bad with them I almost ground the floorboard mounts away.  The other biggest change I had to make was a recurve windshield as wind was hitting me right in the eyes and ears and I like riding in a half helment.  Folks here can find lots of ways to spend even more of your money.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

ACfixer

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 03:57:40 PM »

Wow, guys, thanks for the fast responses! The brake pedal think looks like a real help Greg.

Haird: Thank you sir, I'll repost in the intro forum. I should have done that but I was a little anxious!

TNCarters: Can you give me a link to the windshield? Yep, that was my next question because the stock one lets the wind hit me square in the face and I too only ride in a half helmet. By the way, my sis lives in Johnson City and I've several times almost relocated in that area. The scenery and roads around the Smoky and Blue Ridge mountains are stunning. Great advice on the spacers, I was thinking the same.

I gotta get back to work here... gotta pay for this beast. I'll check it a bit later and post in the intro section.

Lance
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 04:01:51 PM by ACfixer »
15" Freedom shield - TTS Tuned by Fullsac - Fullsac DX pipe - 2.0 cores. 96HP - 113TQ

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 05:20:17 PM »

I ended up going with the 14" Freedom Shield which is available in clear and 3 tint levels, also has a forum discount with "CVO".  I'm looking a couple of inches over the windshield and wind just hits the top of my helmet.  I still get a little wind noise but not much wind in the face.  For longer trips I'd probably like a little taller but this works good for general use.  Search of the forum will give you photos of the tint color as OBB and I went with the light tint and Greg I think has the medium tint.  I think they have web pics online for clear and dark.  You'll also find several forum members have Klock Werks Flair that they like.  I belieive they are available in at least a clear and two tint and a couple of heights.  Also beware of the windshield fastener screws as they are an easily stripped fine thread screw insert in the fairing.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 05:31:00 PM by TNCarters »
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

Nickp2012

• CVO1: 2012 Ultra Classic - Sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Road Gilde Ultra
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 06:11:44 PM »

Nice bike I just went from a 12 CVO Ultra to the 15 RGU CVO in the burgundy and maroon. Gotta tell you I am enjoying the hell out of this bike and don't miss the Ultra one bit.

Beemer

• Elite CVO Member
  • USAF CMSgt (Ret)

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Electric Orange/Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE Autumn Haze/Carbon Dust
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 09:35:35 PM »

Just had a coworker tell me he test rode a 15 FLTRUSE and didn't like it because the fairing didn't turn with the bars.  I honestly don't know how he stays out of the ditch.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 09:54:19 PM »

OP. Here's a few pix of the shield in light tint. This is a 14". I'm right at 6' with a 34" inseam. It's the same height as the stock one but the recurve in it tosses the wind over you better. On flat ground, I'm just barely looking of the top of the shield. Riding in hilly terrain I'm usually looking through the recurve but the distortion factor is minimal. Did a 3700 mile round trip to TX a few weeks back and just love it.

This pix is taken from the back seat, gives a good idea what I'm talking about as far as distortion or lack there of at the recurve.

Oh yeah, Welcome to the site.  :drink:
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

ACfixer

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 10:48:41 PM »

That looks great OBB. That's the Freedom shield? Being about two inches taller on the upper half I'm thinking the 15" medium tint... Sound about right?

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 10:55:15 PM »

Just had a coworker tell me he test rode a 15 FLTRUSE and didn't like it because the fairing didn't turn with the bars.  I honestly don't know how he stays out of the ditch.

Must be the same guy claiming ape hangers above his head and 26" front wheels improve handling.      :huepfenlol2:    :huepfenlol2:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

2014WtGld

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2015, 01:10:39 AM »

Welcome to the site. You have a nice ride and will enjoy it more and more with every mile. I know I do.

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 05:57:18 AM »

That looks great OBB. That's the Freedom shield? Being about two inches taller on the upper half I'm thinking the 15" medium tint... Sound about right?
Yeppers. Freedom in 14" light tint.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2015, 09:14:15 AM »

ACfixer, that would give you a little calmer/quieter air at your face than I have with the 14".  Freedom actually recommended the 15" for me but I did not want to have the top edge of the windshield right in my line of sight. As OBB stated there is very little distortion at the recurve.  Greg has some pics of his medium tint on the forum and it looks pretty good.  A little darker than OBB but you can still see through it.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=102158.msg1320664#msg1320664
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 10:38:29 AM by TNCarters »
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

martys

• 5k CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red SE Road Glide
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2015, 10:01:26 AM »

Welcome to the site from Southern Ontario, Canada   :pepper: :pepper: :pepper:
Here in Canada we have four seasons Spring, Summer, Fall, and New Chrome

ACfixer

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2015, 11:42:09 AM »

Thanks for all the input and warm welcomes guys. Yeah Ron, I think that's where I'll start... I'll try the Freedom 15" in medium and report my findings. They offer what appears to be a pretty solid return policy if the size isn't right so I may as well give 'em a shot.

Afdharley

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2015, 02:09:25 PM »

Beautiful bike. Great color choice, I have the same one. Lol

Sitting here waiting for UPS with my 14" dark smoke Freedom Shield. Soon as it gets here I'll put it on, take it for a test drive and then post up some pics. Haven't seen a dark one yet so I'm hoping it isn't too dark for those few occasions at night where I do look through it.

ACfixer

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2015, 02:33:52 PM »

^^^ Thanks!

Okay, pulled the trigger and I have the 15" medium tint on the way.

ultrarider123

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2015, 02:39:53 PM »

You made a great choice, AC.  My opinion of the Freedom is the same as others that sing those praises.  I was impressed with the quality of the shield but the optics looking through the shield is second to none.  I have no distortion with the curve of the Freedom and LOTS with the stock offerings.

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2015, 12:12:19 AM »

Welcome to the site, AC.  I agree with the others, good choice of bike, and good choice of color! 
I went with the SoftBrake as I agree, the position of the stock brake lever is horrible.  I really like it (see my thread on the review with pictures here:  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?board=42.0).
I also installed Kuryakyn footboard extenders, which I really think you'd benefit from (also have a thread with the review here:  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=102832.msg1327798#msg1327798).
Lastly, I ordered a 13" Freedom Shield in medium tint, but it was way too short, so sent it back for a 15" and am hoping it won't be too tall.  It's 3/4" taller than the stock windshield so we'll see!
PM me if you have any questions on the products, and good luck with yer new scoot!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 12:13:59 AM by RGlideKid »
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

ACfixer

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2015, 02:26:52 PM »

Thank you RGlideKid (and everyone else!). I've put 500+ miles on the bike now and have started making some decisions and one of them is the SoftBrake lever. I kind of got used to having my boot underneath the stock brake lever but I think we can all agree that's less than ideal. Any increase in scraping with the footboard extenders on it?

Okay I got my 15" medium tint Freedom Shield. I guess they got a bad batch of medium tint stock so it delayed it a few days but John was all over it keeping me informed and overall it was here easily within a reasonable time frame. Very nice product, again I am almost 6'3" with a 34" inseam and for touring purposes it is perfect. It looks really good, but I'll admit especially from the riders perspective it's not as sporty looking as the stock shield due to a fuller side edge profile. I've elected for now to keep the stock shield in place for local mountain type rides, and swap to the Freedom Shield for extended trips and highway use. Nothing negative about it, and maybe looking through it would get me used to the new look but it's just not as "sleek" looking to me.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2015, 04:19:47 PM »

Welcome from GA.  I also have the extended brake pedal and a Freedom shield. I am only 5'11" so I went with the 14". yes it is not as cool but it does keep a lot of stuff off of me and in the rain it makes a big difference. I toyed with swapping it but decided to just keep in on. The bike is beautiful and yes I am partial to blue as well. HA

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2015, 05:03:39 PM »

Welcome from South Korea.

ACfixer

• Senior CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2015, 06:41:53 PM »

It appears Softbrake's stuff is all on backorder?
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 24 queries.