Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Valve guide removal Q.  (Read 6533 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Re: Valve guide removal Q.
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2023, 09:04:03 AM »

A bit of new input I found out today.  Both heads had been changed through the HD Service Bulletin

Would anyone know what was changed with the heads?

« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 09:10:51 AM by longlast »

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2023, 01:01:22 PM »

Could anyone tell me (can't  seem to find what I need) what the min and max valve stem to valve guide clearance is  on the 110 07 ultra classic.

Cheers  :drink: :drink:

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2023, 04:33:24 PM »

I rarely ever use stock guides. BRONZE guides, either AV&V or Kibblewhite, go into 99 % of the heads I work on. Intake: I hone the I.D. to + .001" .Exhaust: I hone to + .002". Check valve stem diameter, as some brands differ from others. :o
John
« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 04:36:53 PM by johnsachs »

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2023, 10:58:17 AM »

I found the Q. On clearances

All the guides to v/v stems clearances are within spec's.

There's one exhaust seat that I believe was not installed correctly.  The seat is shallow on one side of it  the v/v stem and guide are in spec's max clearance on exhaust is 0.0762mm / 0.003"  I'm at 0.0237mm / 0.002" .
The seats "but the tne exhaust "  all lapped in on the money to the valves,..right in the middle of the 45° valve angle

Now I need to replace the exhaust seat.  Any suggestions on going about removing the seat from the head without involving a machine shop.
I've on order some freeze in a spray can,  (step down from liquid nitrogen)  see if I can shrink it out?

Not going there with the (run a weld bead around the seat) idea
Do new seats come already at the 45° ,...any one know

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2023, 11:03:01 AM »

Little clean up

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2023, 06:57:38 PM »

The seat inserts I use have NO angles on them. Some I weld out,  and others I machine out.  ;)
John

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2023, 09:25:28 PM »

The seat inserts I use have NO angles on them. Some I weld out,  and others I machine out.  ;)
John

Thanks John,
                            I had the v/vs faced at a machine shop (45°) intake and exhaust they still have a good margin left on them especially the intake  v/v. Then after lapping  3 were showing good seating one exhaust (in the pic) was only making contact 3/4 s of the v/v face.

Anyway I took the heads to a fella that's going to cut out the exhaust seat insert a new seat (and like you said the seat's inserts are blank) then face it . He did a vacuum test on the ones I had lapped they were in the medium range so he's going to seat all the v/vs to 100% vacuum seal.

That will be the heads issue sorted.   Should have them back in a couple/ few days.

Cheers for ll the input, has helped a lot.  :2vrolijk_21:

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2023, 05:06:12 PM »

Have your guy cut the 3 stock seats to get rid of the factory PROUD 45 degree angle on the stock seat inserts. He should also shoot for equal installed heights, on all the valves so the chambers should CC the same .  FYI - Average 110" CVO factory chamber volume is 95 cc.  ;)
John 

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2023, 07:39:15 PM »

Have your guy cut the 3 stock seats to get rid of the factory PROUD 45 degree angle on the stock seat inserts. He should also shoot for equal installed heights, on all the valves so the chambers should CC the same .  FYI - Average 110" CVO factory chamber volume is 95 cc.  ;)
John

Alex Emailed me saying the heads  are done and he did the remaining seats and are now all at 100% vacuum. (Not sure if he cut or just lapped the other  seats)

I'm seeing him on Thursday I'll  check with him on the v/v heights then.

Cheers  for the info John, 

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2023, 11:57:09 AM »

On another note,......

I got this bike in 2010  its only by doing these heads I've  done some research on them cause thing weren't adding up with info I've got on the 07 ultra classic. 
I called my HD service I gave them the vin number to check on anything that had been done to the bike.,They came back to me and said it had a recall for the rear head gasket replacement.  Then HD came out with a (customers choice)  service bulletin to  replace the 110 1800cc at no expense to the customer if they so which too. They said the head were changed  in Wales (the shop has since closed) the work was done  on the 15th Dec 2009.

So these are not the original head.

Also at the same time the other owner had the pistons changed (WHY) anyone's guess.   They put in smaller ring size pistons.

I got 1.2, 1.2, 2.5,mm 0.47, 0.47, 0.98 for replacement rings for my 07 110 1800cc touring  (Hastings Rings)

But what's in there are 1.09, 1.09, 3.mm =  043, 043, 0.118 rings  making them a special order.

The good news is the cylinders are in good shape and there's no (zero)  scuff marks at all on the pistons from  cylinder wall contact.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 12:00:33 PM by longlast »

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2023, 03:24:51 AM »

Another issue,..

I removed the pistons for cleaning and for easier ring install and found the front wrist pin bush had turned in the rod it's a fit on the pin. I was able to remove it by hand ✋️ the rear is tight in the rod also a good fit on the pin.

Q. Is there a tool for removing/installing these wrist pin bushings without having to remove the rods and using a press?

Q 2. I've tried to find these 110 motor bushings in HD catalog but all I'm seeing are the tubular type,...mine are bevelled.

Would anyone know the part number for these bushings? 

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2023, 09:46:55 AM »

Got wrist pin bushings machined up .

Glade I caught theses bushings when I did.

As the bushings are tapered when they turn in the conrod bore the wider part of the brushing  will turn till it contacts the narrow part of the piston  then will prevent the piston from rocking on the wrist pin as it travels up and down .

Once the bush is in the conrod then I will shape it to the rod .

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2023, 09:49:22 AM »

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2023, 11:44:00 PM »

It took a while but back up and rolling again.  :drink:

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2023, 01:23:08 PM »

Clever work. Most would have taken the motor out and have the crank fixed by others. In the UK no clue who. A lot of times I change the rods to the older full compliment versions which I have take-offs and rebalance the crank for those. Best of luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.