Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: CVO 110 Engine Longevity  (Read 31060 times)

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE converted to FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTSCI
Re: CVO 110 Engine Longevity
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2016, 05:43:30 PM »

Threads like this one are what prompted me to replace my 110" engine in my 2010 SESG.

After I gave consideration of fixing all the poorly designed/selected components of the 110", including reworking the bottom end to handle the increased power of a larger displacement kit, I decided a full engine replacement was best.

I finally have peace of mind with regard to reliability of my CVO.  These threads are kinda depressing!   :(

smenard415

• Junior CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange & Black
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2016, 02:43:32 PM »

Greetings,

Not a frequent poster but been on the list for many years.  I have a 2009 CVO S/E Roadglide, orange and black, best looking Harley I've ever owned and in 40 years of riding HD i've owned a bunch.  I love this bike and I plan to keep it for a long time.  Having said that this is without a doubt the worst HD i've ever owned as far as the motor goes. 

It has made rocker box/valve train noise ever since it was new.  I had a hot rod 95in in my previous Roadglide so I was familiar with the typical twin cam rattle so I just put louder mufflers on it.  8)  At 36k I am on my 4th compensator and I'm not sure about the one that is in it now even though it has the S/E version with the glue on plastic parts in the primary cover.

We got home from a 8 day, 2400 mile trip around Lake Superior in September when I thought it was making more noise than usual.  My first thought was that the lifters had taken a dump like so many other's on this list have experienced.  It was indeed a lifter which of course ruined the cam.  I, like any red blooded American man, used this as a excuse to up grade to the HD 117 kit.  I'm going to stick with the HD cam but I did purchase S&S lifters like most folks around here recommend.   

I would add that for the last 13yrs I have worked at two different HD Dealers so this bike has been meticulously maintained and always had Redline oil used in it.  To be transparent I did put a 30 tooth sprocket, Fullsack baffles and a Mastertune tuner on it.  No converter either.  I just think, as do many others, that there is some inherent design flaws in the twin cam motor and do not get me started on the shocks and forks.

I retired, again, in May as my dealership had a new owner who does not believe in vacations in the summer.  But the mechanic there is fixing the old girl.  Fingers crossed.

As a side bar I promised the sales staff that I was going to buy a second bike and it was not going to be a HD.  After scaring the dog chit out of myself on a Ducati XDiavel S I bought a 2016 BMW R1200RT.  It is a blast to ride.  not as comfortable as the Roadglide but it certainly out handles it.  About 200 pounds lighter to so it's like riding a scooter.  Sure is nice to have though while the Roadglide is on a lift at the shop.  Especially when Ohio had a string of 70 degree days in November.

Just my two cents worth.  Love my bike but any motorcycle should go well past 36,000 miles when maintained as well as this one has.
Flame on.

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2016, 08:37:36 PM »

Threads like this one are what prompted me to replace my 110" engine in my 2010 SESG.
What engine did you put in?
If you want peace, prepare for war.

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2016, 05:40:17 PM »

What engine did you put in?

I went with a Fuel Moto 126" Outlaw, and all the necessary bits to support it.

Ended up with 147.91HP & 154.62TQ.

:bananarock:

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2016, 04:58:24 PM »

I went with a Fuel Moto 126" Outlaw, and all the necessary bits to support it.

Ended up with 147.91HP & 154.62TQ.

How's the reliability/driveability and cost on that? It's an engine option that is never mentioned when the S&S 124 and SE 120 are discussed.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2016, 12:26:58 AM »

How's the reliability/driveability and cost on that? It's an engine option that is never mentioned when the S&S 124 and SE 120 are discussed.

Here is more info on it:
http://www.fuelmotousa.com/p-31168-126-fuel-moto-outlaw-engine.html

Turn key installation of the engine itself is $8745, including full dyno tuning.  With this engine though, you need to have ancillary components that are capable of supporting 150hp/150tq.  Items like full exhaust, clutch pack/clutch spring, injectors, throttle body, and tuner (Fuel Moto requires the use of a Power Vision for tuning).

Depending where you're at with those things will determine the actual price out the door.

One of the things that was appealing about this engine is the use of SE cases.  Fuel Moto upgrades to the Timken bearing and uses an S&S crank.  The SE cases maintain stock oiling passages, so no need for the external oil lines that S&S uses.  Also, the manufacturer statement of origin is nice to have too.

With the build as it is and the use of premium internal components, I am confident the engine will be reliable.  Fuel mileage is still good for touring, but takes a hit when playing around!  The engine has probably the quietest valve train for a V-twin, at least that I've been around.

And the cherry on top - the Fuel Moto crew is fantastic to work with.

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2016, 12:19:31 AM »

On my 2011 I got to about 60 000 miles before the dealer rebuilt it under warranty. Now at 87 000 miles. (140 000 KM).

LOUDHOG

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2016, 04:05:20 PM »

2007..at 13,900 my cam wiped out. Stuck valve caused lifter/cam to score. Crank was out of spec so I did a rebuild. Stock bore, Fuel Moto 777 cam, portwork and Darkhorse repaired bottom end. 112HP 119TQ

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2016, 10:59:53 AM »

Well, it's my turn! :o This last MV trip I started to smell and use oil. Never had to add between oil changes. Put lifters in it at around 13K and has 23K now. Finally got around to bringing it in and after a leakage test they thought they'd replace rings, hone and valve guides. When he got jugs off to do pistons he found rods on flywheels not flopping. Not good! Waiting on how bad when he gets it out. Looks like an exchange engine might be coming. Glad I got extended warranty. Going to try and get by there today or tomorrow to see it. At least it's not sunny and warm outside! :D Merry Christmas Everyone! :2vrolijk_21:

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2016, 02:05:32 PM »

Sorry to hear this!  I hate hearing about issues with such low miles. How many miles have you put on her since the MV trip and you started noticing the oil usage?

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2016, 03:45:17 PM »

Well, it's my turn! :o This last MV trip I started to smell and use oil. Never had to add between oil changes. Put lifters in it at around 13K and has 23K now. Finally got around to bringing it in and after a leakage test they thought they'd replace rings, hone and valve guides. When he got jugs off to do pistons he found rods on flywheels not flopping. Not good! Waiting on how bad when he gets it out. Looks like an exchange engine might be coming. Glad I got extended warranty. Going to try and get by there today or tomorrow to see it. At least it's not sunny and warm outside! :D Merry Christmas Everyone! :2vrolijk_21:

John, so sorry to hear about your motor troubles.  That's about the same mileage my 2012 had when it's original motor failed.  It was still under moco factory warranty and I got a brand new motor.  That motor lasted about 45k when it too failed.  I figured I'd paid quite enough '110 tax' and traded it off for the 2017 CVO Limited.  I had not intended to do so with it being the first year for the new M8 motor but I figured I made it through being a beta tester on my 2007 with the first year 110 motor and I would no doubt survive.  So far with 6k on it the M8 motor has been perfect.  Keeping fingers crossed that it remains so.  Hard to believe but the moco may just have gotten this one right.  Good luck with yours and keep us posted.  And a very Merry Christmas to you, Deb and your family.

Jerry
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 03:47:08 PM by ultrafxr »

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2016, 04:33:54 PM »

FYI If you are on the ESP you will not receive a motor exchange, the Motor Company and the Warranty Company as in my case will replace everything that needs replacing and save everything that can be saved even if it isn't cost effective, they did a complete engine rebuild and replaced my engine cases that required my VIN to be stamped on it; I know it sounds insane, however now you can add free upgrades like a Screamin Eagle Cam Plate and and S & S Premium Lifters w/o limiters just make sure the dealer doesn't mark the S & S Lifters on the receipt or the ESP will be voided, thus, have them list the Harley Lifters of the day. That could be what I did, but I can't say I would do such a thing.

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2016, 05:23:45 PM »

Same with me lower rod bearing . No new motor. They said they are not available anymore. So they rebuilt the motor .Runs great. We added SE oil pump and plate . I have a esp till 2021 So If I need one more They will pay again. They fixed in one week So I was happy. % K on it now and it is fine. Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2016, 07:58:39 AM »

Same with me lower rod bearing . No new motor. They said they are not available anymore. So they rebuilt the motor .Runs great. We added SE oil pump and plate . I have a esp till 2021 So If I need one more They will pay again. They fixed in one week So I was happy. % K on it now and it is fine. Billy

I find that very hard to believe.  The 110 engine is still in production for several bikes.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2016, 04:35:06 PM »

I do not believe anyone will receive a motor exchange unless the motorcycle is under Warranty even then it's not a guarantee; I could be wrong, however, I am a recipient of 5 crate motors under Warranty. Once you are out of Warranty and into the ESP this is when the Dealers make their money in parts and labor. My last repair complete motor rebuild including engine cases which needed my VIN stamped on it, wasn't a motor exchange, it would have been more cost effective for the Motor Company to send out a crate motor with my VIN on it and the labor would have been the motor swap. However, there are benefits of the rebuild happening in front of you, such as upgrading some parts cam plate and lifters and not voiding your ESP. My cost was $50.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 21 queries.