Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oil pan removal  (Read 1358 times)

Farm boy

Oil pan removal
« on: March 25, 2019, 08:16:59 PM »

Could use some insight on oil pan removal. 03 se road king 103.
 I followed the manual to remove the oil pan. When I went to slide the pan rearward, it only goes back about an inch. The springs that hold the baffle down were hanging things up, or so I thought. I was able to wiggle them out of place, and into the bottom of the pan. Still cannot remove the pan. Baffle catches on the rear of the transmission case. Seems like there is not enough clearance between the pan and the cross member.
How do I get around this ?
Note: reason for pan removal,  is cam chain tensioner failed and cleaning debris out of pan.
Just a note: screwed up my back and may have to have surgery.  Can't work on it very long at one time. Want to get it done before surgery.
Sorry for long post

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
Re: Oil pan removal
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 08:59:48 PM »

You have any pics?

Farm boy

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 09:19:22 PM »

No, have about 1/4"- 3/8" gap to look through. I can try to get some tomorrow. 

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 09:48:44 PM »

A common problem with the pan removal is the crossmenber often gets hit and bends upward toward the pan. This makes removal very difficult and sometimes impossible without straightening the member or removing the swing arm cleveblocks. This will allow you to raise the trans upward some. In one case we had to remove the swingarm and axle to get the trans lifted enough to get the pan out. You will need to support the rear of the bike and engine to do this.

07CVOEG

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 07:04:33 AM »

I feel your pain definitely I just did my 07 this winter and would consider changing to the new style oil pan so it will be easier to install once you get it out. I bought one used. and opens the door on exhaust too.

I had to jack the engine up,oil drain plugs out,dipsticks out,and rear engine rubber mounts out  . definitely one I don't ever want to do again. I can't imagine getting those bafle springs back in.

be safe take your breaks it will come out
S&S 585 cam, Jackpot 2/1/2 exhaust, unidentified as of yet domed pistons.

Farm boy

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2019, 06:36:52 PM »

I went back and tried it again this afternoon.  I guess I wasn't holding my tongue just right.  I was able to wiggle it out.
 :orange: :huepfenjump3: :mango: :bananarock: :pepper: :pineapple: :apple: :huepfenlol2:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2019, 09:46:11 PM »

When I put those back in I put a long wire tie around the pan and squeezing the springs down as tight as you can get them.  Then after cussing and compressing to get it all back in just cut the wire ties and remove them.

Farm boy

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 06:46:37 PM »

That is a splendid idea.  I was going to try some shim stock, but the zip ties are worth a try first.
Thank you all.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 07:17:06 PM »

I have a Baker Plus One, 5 quart oil pan has internal baffles no Springs.  Keeps S&S V124 cool even in 100 degrees weather.  Oil temp never  over 200 degrees

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 24 queries.