Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 2012 103ci Compression Releases  (Read 13428 times)

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
Re: 2012 103ci Compression Releases
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2011, 01:23:32 PM »

I just upgraded my 2009 Ultra from 96 to 103. If you read the installation instructions carefully they tell to do the compression release as part of the install. The dealer was surprised when I asked why they didn't do it and the response was they never did and have not experienced any problems.

IF you had the dealer do this install, have him install ALL the parts.
The harness is there and there is a procedure to install the "kit".
IMHO, the CR's are part of that total procedure.
 8)
HOGMIKE

plow7man

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2011, 02:08:22 PM »

This kit did not have a compression release with it.

I just did a check and in the Harley parts book it says "Installation of automatic or manual compression releases on large displacement engines is highly recommended." This is on almost every kit they list.

I also looked at the instructions that came with the kit and it did not list a compression release with it.

Am I missing something? Any comments?

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2011, 02:37:46 PM »

Lookout for starter issues without compression releases.  I know those who went from 96 to 103 and have had problems.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2011, 02:44:32 PM »

I just upgraded my 2009 Ultra from 96 to 103. If you read the installation instructions carefully they tell to do the compression release as part of the install. The dealer was surprised when I asked why they didn't do it and the response was they never did and have not experienced any problems.

I would recommend you follow factory suggestions, especially if you change cams. Compensator assy should also be changed on this year/model bike to the SE one.
This is from experience in my '09 and my '10 !
 8)
With the changes made to MY 2010 with the above mentioned upgrades, plus the rest I  have done, I could not be happier!
JMHO
 8)
HOGMIKE

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2011, 03:20:02 PM »

Looking for a technical reason why the 2012 103's are coming with automatic compression releases from the factory...thanks.
First year 2008 103 police, they ate starters and they had a factory upgrade for those that switched to the ACR heads which are identical except for a small pocket in the chamber and the ACRs installed. Now standard equipment on all factory 103 motors.
The dealer should put them in for you. They are about a $80 dollar part and the machine work $100 or so, theirs and your call.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2011, 03:47:56 PM »

that dealer owes you the compression releases

its there responsibility to READ THE DIRECTIONS - and its good that you did read the directions

unless, of course, you put in a large overlap cam - then it will probably be fine, but if it has a 255 or similar cam there will eventually be problems with the compensator and the starter

to

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2011, 07:45:13 PM »

that dealer owes you the compression releases

its there responsibility to READ THE DIRECTIONS - and its good that you did read the directions

unless, of course, you put in a large overlap cam - then it will probably be fine, but if it has a 255 or similar cam there will eventually be problems with the compensator and the starter

to

The compression releases are not part of the kit, so the dealer doesn't owe him parts he didn't buy.  But, if they actually knew much about what they were doing they should have recommended them to him and let him make the decision before they did the kit install. 

As you noted, it makes a big difference which cams are in the bike.  If running stock low overlap cams, or especially if running the Stage II cams (255), releases are highly recommended.  If running a high overlap cam, not so much.  It all depends on the actual cranking compression.

If it were me, I think I'd have a chat with the service manager about the releases.  A fair resolution might be for the customer to pay for the releases and the machining of the heads to accept them, but not for the  R&R of the heads and the gaskets since he already paid for that as part of the kit install.  :nixweiss:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2011, 08:26:25 PM »

I agree Jerry
 you said:
But, if they actually knew much about what they were doing they should have recommended them

That makes the assumption they have the tool to drill them, I would not be so sure of that based on the experience the OP had

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2011, 05:58:44 AM »

I recently rode a 2012 103 Ultra during Demo Days at the local dealership and was quite impressed with the stock 103. You immediately notice that it doesn't run as hot as a 110. In a controlled demo ride you can't go fast enough to get into 6th, but I can say that for a totally stock bike it pulled quite well in 5 gears. With ABS and security a new '12 Ultra is about 15k cheaper than a new '12 CVO Ultra. It doesn't have all the chrome and bling of my CVO but for 5k or 6k one could add a fair amount of chrome and do a stage to a 103 Ultra. That leaves 10k in your pocket. Hmmm.

Yeah, but I'd miss the painted inner fairing, too.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 24 queries.