Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: To those of you who have done it already  (Read 11182 times)

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
Re: To those of you who have done it already
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 08:48:20 PM »

I hear ya there  :'(
What??? Stu has a money beanstalk, runs all the way to the moon and back!!!  :huepfenlol2:

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 10:05:53 PM »

Sent you a PM.

It's Top Secret for now but there is a plan. It just depends if I do it in stages or not. Don't want to sway the thread. ;D

Gotta convince Momma to do it at one time. So far she's in for the whole thing but not all at once. You know, The Money Tree.....

You haven't said anything about any bottom end work?

Sounds like you already have your cam ("could work as a bolt in") picked out, I would go by the cam manufacturer's recommendation for c/r with minor headwork and be done with it...

Remember, exhaust is a big part of the equation.   
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 10:09:49 PM »

More power is very tantalizing!

welcome to the dark side  :pumpkin:
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2014, 10:15:58 PM »

You haven't said anything about any bottom end work?

Sounds like you already have your cam ("could work as a bolt in") picked out, I would go by the cam manufacturer's recommendation for c/r with minor headwork and be done with it...

Remember, exhaust is a big part of the equation.   
No case splittin'! Mamma already so no to that.

She's only 105 but she's got a mean uppercut!
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2017 Indian Jack Daniels Edition Chieftan
    • CVO3: 2019 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2014, 08:38:03 AM »

Whatever you do...if you're going to pull the engine apart at all, keep going and do the crank and bearings.  That motor is weakest in that area, and any work that you do to put any more stress on it, will cause the weakest link to fail.

I know from experience  >:(. Now riding with a S&S 124 :bananarock:
The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, those are really good days.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2014, 01:38:23 PM »

Whatever you do...if you're going to pull the engine apart at all, keep going and do the crank and bearings.  That motor is weakest in that area, and any work that you do to put any more stress on it, will cause the weakest link to fail.

I know from experience  >:(. Now riding with a S&S 124 :bananarock:

'With you on that! especially the rod bearings!

If S&S made the 124 in granite or the '09 had a black motor, I would already have one...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

clubbie

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2014, 06:53:25 AM »

Excuses. Just paint the trans black. Heck the dealer even has the right colour wrinkle black for the job.

$20 and a few hours work while the motor is out waiting for the 124. C'mon you know you want to. Lol

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2014, 09:07:55 AM »

When I was trying to decide 120 or 131 a wise man told me "the extra Hp and Torque difference only cost 1k more" His nickname I believe is Hawg Rib. I listened and am glad I did.

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2017 Indian Jack Daniels Edition Chieftan
    • CVO3: 2019 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2014, 09:52:20 AM »

I went the extra and bought all new parts to match.  It was a little extra, but... :2vrolijk_21:
The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, those are really good days.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2014, 10:31:39 AM »

A little update.

The weather here in St. Louis keeps stopping me from getting the bike over to hrdtail78. Come on weather!!!!

Cams for sure GMR577's, new push rods, new lifter and possibly a TTS tuner and headwork. Still can't decide about the heads. It's beginning to be maddening!

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Somebody make the decision for me. ;D
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2014, 09:31:44 PM »

Bike goes in tomorrow. First warm day here in a while.

GMR 577's, lifters, pushrods, cam bearings, a new TTS tuner and a dyno tune from the guy (hrdtail78) that Doc recommended to me here in the St. Louis area.

Unless I find a bag of cash in my dreams tonight no headwork. Goal is to add a little bit of length in the rpm and help cool the beast down, really not concerned about dyno number from just a cam. If I'm still inspired next winter I'll do the heads and throttle body.

We've really got some great guys here on CVOHARLEY! A big thank you to all of you've I've talked with! ;D

TorqueInc

• Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. Mark Twain
  • Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2014, 09:59:39 PM »

Jason will take very good care of you   :2vrolijk_21:

Id get into what is wrong with the 110 heads but.....if I type it out again I would end up with carpal tunnel.

They need work....for both reliability reasons and damn sure performance
2011 SG Sedona Orange 105" 125/123

www.jwperf.com

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
Re: Re: Re: To those of you who have done it already
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2014, 10:03:50 PM »

Bike goes in tomorrow. First warm day here in a while.

GMR 577's, lifters, pushrods, cam bearings, a new TTS tuner and a dyno tune from the guy (hrdtail78) that Doc recommended to me here in the St. Louis area.

Unless I find a bag of cash in my dreams tonight no headwork. Goal is to add a little bit of length in the rpm and help cool the beast down, really not concerned about dyno number from just a cam. If I'm still inspired next winter I'll do the heads and throttle body.

We've really got some great guys here on CVOHARLEY! A big thank you to all of you've I've talked with! ;D

I'm starting with cams and lifters and a tune first. We seem to want the same thing, longer curve and a quieter and cooler 110.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

fatboybern

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2014, 10:38:24 PM »

when looking at a cams duration and timing upgrades usually call for more power up higher in the rpm range but sacrifice the compression in the lower end because there is a loss in compression due to the valves being held open longer.  it really depends on what cam you choose if your require more comp. I was going to and am sure Ill create some cam chaos but the se 259 e in my 110 along with the higher compression pistons haven't really researched though. motor burns oil any ways so if im to change the rings might as well turn up the compression via pistons as well.  love the way it runs only seem to run out of oomph in the 5500rpm plus range.  nice thing about running the same base circle size and lift one can get away without having to change springs to prevent coil bind or create higher seat pressures again depends on what cam you so choose to determine what you need out of your heads compression springs etc. higher lift higher seat pressures can be hard on valve trains 

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2014, 04:11:55 PM »

the biggest HP/TQ problem is the lack of compression.with minor work,the heads flow OK for most builds.get the compression to 10.0-1 to 11.0-1 and a whole lot of cam choices are available.from mild S&S .570 @ 10.0-1 some of T-MANS or WOODS profiles at 11.0-1+ for more aggressive builds
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 20 queries.