Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: What is the cost to replace lifters?  (Read 24730 times)

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO Ultra Limited - 2013 FLHTCUSE8 (Traded)

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
Re: What is the cost to replace lifters?
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2014, 07:39:19 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:

Why do you want to change your lifters?  Is there a reason besides the negative posts on the internet of other riders lifter failures?
This is a very small percentage of actual riders and they all have their different circumstances but if your not having any problems then leave them alone.

Personally, I would not touch them unless you have really high mileage on your scoot.  If you do decide to change the lifters its time to get a real cam in there and take care of the bearings and lifters at the same time. Save on all that labor and get it done at the same time with peace of mind.
Do it now!

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2014, 09:59:16 PM »

When I sent my Jim's motor back after complete failure. The first thing they said was we noticed the tappets aren't the same as the motor was shipped with can you tell me why? I answered when I was deciding to order the motor I spoke with a well known HD dealer that installs many of your motors and I asked the head guy for any advice, He said if you do nothing else but install the crate motor pull the Jim's lifters out and replace them with HD B's. When she asked me "can I ask why" I said they told me they don't trust them and they are very noisy. She answered OK. I said that is not what took out this motor. She agreed.

dahsen

• Elite CVO Member
    • QC

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout Sedona Sand
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2014, 10:28:48 PM »

With a 2014 you already have the latest upgraded lifters and inner cam bearings, so I'm not sure you need to be jumping the gun on changing any parts.  Don't get spooked by all the failures on earlier models that didn't have the latest lifters or bearings.

Jerry

Good advice, tnx!

I have the cruel chance of having a short riding season, so chances are that others 2014 will have issues before I do if the problem still exists...  Giving me the chance to react then...

Keeping my fingers crossed.......    :nervous:

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2014, 08:21:53 AM »

we have cammed over 2 dozen of the 14 bikes and the lifters are not upgraded at all. Inner cam bearings are hit or miss new vs old .  Specs & part #'s  aside I have seen this stuff first hand.. Be happy to post up some 2500 mile lifters  from a 14 we just pulled one down yesterday. Same roller damage , rattle on start up Dealer said that's ok ,..Hyd lifters bleed down.  :-\  Swapping lifters and adding ex and tune. Maybe once HD has used up all the old parts you may see a change . 
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2014, 09:08:42 AM »

we have cammed over 2 dozen of the 14 bikes and the lifters are not upgraded at all. Inner cam bearings are hit or miss new vs old .  Specs & part #'s  aside I have seen this stuff first hand.. Be happy to post up some 2500 mile lifters  from a 14 we just pulled one down yesterday. Same roller damage , rattle on start up Dealer said that's ok ,..Hyd lifters bleed down.  :-\  Swapping lifters and adding ex and tune. Maybe once HD has used up all the old parts you may see a change .

Is that just 110's Steve, or a mixture of engines?  The reason I ask is that Harley only claimed to have upgraded the lifters and inner cam bearings on the 110, not the 96/103.  Of course nothing would surprise me with Harley's hit and miss quality control system.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2014, 11:13:41 AM »

Is that just 110's Steve, or a mixture of engines?  The reason I ask is that Harley only claimed to have upgraded the lifters and inner cam bearings on the 110, not the 96/103.  Of course nothing would surprise me with Harley's hit and miss quality control system.

Jerry

110 have the same lifters ( they look the same have the same light blue paint marking  , part number wise  I dont know as I dont re use the stock lifters ) and inner bearings are still hit or miss .. On the 103 all the same stuff but I did one here a short time ago that had new inner bearings ??   
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2014, 07:32:44 PM »

We locked on S&S lifters years ago.

Stebra13

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2019, 04:44:32 PM »

I realize these posts are ancient, but I just joinedthis group, AND I’ve just finished replacing the internal parts of my ‘04 FLHTCI Cam Body (cams, oil pump, lifters, push rods) by myself, opting to buy the inner/outer cam bearing installation tool, and taking two days to remove/replace the chain-driven cams with gear drives.
The S&S kit I chose (.510 lift cams) was expertly packaged with all the necessary parts, lubrication, thread-locker, and gaskets, and included excellent step-by-step installation instructions. I have tinkered with all the different Harley’s I’ve owned over the years - 3 Sportsters, a Low Rider, a Wide Glide, and now the FL, and I feel very comfortable wrenching on my own - considering the fact that I have wrenched on a lot of stuff over the years, and can usually follow instructions when given - I have to say that this little project was by far one of the easiest I have undertaken.
If any of you are considering upgrading your Twin Cam HD from the standard wire-type cam chain tensioner to either hydraulic tensioner, or even gear driven cams, you will save about $700-$1000 in labor by doing it yourself.....and of course now there are many helpful Utube Videos on this very subject that I encourage you to look at. Also, I am happy to answer any questions you may have regarding this post.
Happy wrenching!
Steve

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2019, 08:04:09 AM »

Gear drive only if less than .002 runout cam side. S&S does a good job with the kits but the 510 is never the wrong cam but often there are better, depends on the application.

r0de_runr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Officer Scott Noller RIP, 01/04/1989 - 12/28/2017
    • TX

• CVO1: 2019 Ultra Limited 114
    • CVO2: 2022 Heritage 114
    • CVO3: SOLD: 2014 Ultra Limited; SOLD: 2012 CVO Street Glide, SOLD 2016 BMW
    • Wichitagreg
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2019, 08:44:30 AM »

You can save some money on the lifters if you try GMR's new ones. ;)
Why experiment with such a critical and inexpensive part.  It's like saving $100 but putting ChingShen Chinese tires on your $45k motorcycle.
Go with S&S or Johnson HyLift and forgetaboutit.
Greg
formerly WichitaGreg
Lives in the TX Hill Country
AKA r0de_runr
Explore your VA Benefits:  http://1.usa.gov/1NPzKkM

owl893

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Autumn Haze
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2019, 09:48:11 AM »

S&S Premium Lifters w/HL2T kit & S&S adjustable pushrods   p/n's 495979, 493889        $802.39 installed on 2011 CVO Street Glide

OWL
1961 DUO GLIDE, 1979 FLH, 1999 FXDWG, 2001 FXSTS, 2003 FLHRCI, 2004 FLSTCI, 2005 FLHT, 2006 FLHXI, 2011 FLHXSE2

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2019, 10:10:48 AM »

I have the limiters for Johnson Hylift lifters but in most cases they are not needed.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 24 queries.