Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21

Author Topic: FXR HISTORY  (Read 290251 times)

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
Re: FXR HISTORY
« Reply #150 on: August 16, 2008, 08:03:24 AM »

Question: I have understood theat the FXR '99 was the first Screamin Eagle built according to the history in this thread......why the "SE" letter were no added to FXR? but until 2000 with the RG..........

Thanks

Jorge

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #151 on: August 16, 2008, 08:19:25 AM »

Question: I have understood theat the FXR '99 was the first Screamin Eagle built according to the history in this thread......why the "SE" letter were no added to FXR? but until 2000 with the RG..........

Thanks

Jorge

Jorge, the FXR2 was the first CVO, but they weren't SE bikes. They had HD's "Collection" bolton pretty parts, but no pefrormance upgrades to the standard Evo bikes. The SERG was the first SE CVO with the 95" kit factory installed. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #152 on: August 16, 2008, 08:26:08 AM »

I would say because and this is only "speculation" that at the time the CVO program began, HD wasn't sure that it would do as expected.  For these reasons, Initially the CVO program was to:

1) Bring the FXR customer back to the dealerships
2) Respond to the customer requests for the FXR vehicle.
3) to TEST the Motor Company's ability to produce "Low Volume", highly customized vehicles for "niche" markets.
4) To generate "incremental" vehicle sales and profits.

They were looking at perspective customers as being:

1) FXR loyalists who once owned an FXR and would want another one.
2) FXR tradionalists who wanted the style of a custom FXR but wouldn't want to look for a used FXR to customize.
3) HD collectors who would be attracted to the "exclusivity" of the "low-volume" production campaign.

HD felt this was also a way to "showcase" the "depth" of the P&A product line while demonstrating the customization options available to the existing FXR Owner.

All of this of course led to a very limited idea to begin with.....what would the market do, would it respond as they hoped....or not....and as we all know, "Screamin Eagle" is associated with "Accessories" both "motor" and "chrome" and while few will admit it, the CVO line today is much to do about "bling" as it is to do about anything else, it's synonymous with "Accessories" thus they "advanced" their "marketing cause by labeling the CVO program as the:

Screamin Eagle CVO Program

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 08:29:39 AM by FXR2evo99 »

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #153 on: August 16, 2008, 10:24:13 AM »

Thanks mis amigos Howie and Tim....understood  :2vrolijk_21:

RedFXR2

« Reply #154 on: August 16, 2008, 11:23:27 AM »

Question: ......why the "SE" letter were no added to FXR?

Some of us have done it for ourselves. ;)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #155 on: August 16, 2008, 11:31:50 AM »

Mike,

YES INDEED YOU HAVE!!!!!!!!!

Ok so now specifically what did you do to it.....I would like the run down please.

Regards,

Tim

[NOTE: Please remember that putting your curser next to the paper clip icon below the photo will allow you to enlarge the photo plus save it to your computer if you desire OR if you merely wish to see it enlarged simply put your curser on the photo and "LEFT" click and it will enlarge]
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 04:43:20 AM by FXR2evo99 »

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #156 on: August 16, 2008, 11:58:25 AM »

Thanks

Jorge

Who knows for sure, but I think if the 2000/2001 Screamin' Eagle Road Glides hadn't bee such a success, maybe none of the bikes today would be knowns as SEs.  Recall the 2001/2002 CVO Wide Glides were also absent the "Screamin' Eagle" moniker.  It wasn't until 2003 that all (both) models in the linup began to utilize the SE name.

As a caveat, my understanding from talking to a few dealership personnel after the show in Vegas this year, is that Harley is now trying to back off of the Screamin' Eagle name and make the Custom Vehicle Operations (CVO) name more prominent.  If you read some of the recent magazine article coverage, it seems that is the case as you actually see more use of "CVO Fat Bob," "CVO Electra Glide," etc. in their write-ups than "Screamin' Eagle _______ _______."

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #157 on: August 16, 2008, 12:28:47 PM »

Brian....

LOL it wouldn't surprise me that HD thinks they need to go to back to "CVO", I mean after all they ended up with 73 different models of FXR's over 15 years.....and name changes all over the place....lol their idea is if it's not selling it's got to be the "height" of the bike or the "name" of the bike....the best thing that happened to our FXR "CVO" bikes is the simplicity of the models...ie:  FXR2   FXR3   FXR4.  I called in to HD yesterday gave them my VIN# and she called my bike a FXR Super Glide....I said ummm actually how about an FXR2 and she says, "yeah" a FXR Super Glide....laughing....I mean on any given day.....but that goes hand in hand when anyone attempts to figure out the symbols as well....there is no reason to it at all.....but I digress......lol

:bananarock:

Regards,

Tim

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #158 on: August 17, 2008, 01:01:04 AM »

1988 FXRS Low Rider Photo:

Featuring 1998 Dyna 13 Spoke Take Offs

New 4.2 gallon tank with a filler cap on each side of a new console designed to mimic the one that that had been used on the 1977 Low Rider, with a small, tandem speedo and tach on the wrinkle black housing.  The Use Of Black-and-chrome  engine.  

Well as we can begin to see more clearly, the FXR2's, FXR3's, and FXR4's are most reflective of this PARTICULAR model, ie: the matching Tank size ie: 4.2 gallon, the tank trim panel with the instrument housing, stock they began in "wrinkle black" notice that this one has the chrome tank pannel trim and the instrument housing. Of all the choices HD had to replicate they chose the 5 year run of the FXRS Low Rider from 1988-1992

[NOTE: Please remember that putting your curser next to the paper clip icon below the photo will allow you to enlarge the photo plus save it to your computer if you desire OR if you merely wish to see it enlarged simply put your curser on the photo and "LEFT" click and it will enlarge]
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 04:43:36 AM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #159 on: August 17, 2008, 01:02:36 AM »

« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 01:05:54 AM by FXR2evo99 »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #160 on: August 17, 2008, 01:04:11 AM »

Featuring 1998 Dyna 13 Spoke Take Offs

New 4.2 gallon tank with a filler cap on each side of a new console designed to mimic the one that that had been used on the 1977 Low Rider, with a small, tandem speedo and tach on the wrinkle black housing.  The Use Of Black-and-chrome  engine.   

Well as we can begin to see more clearly, the FXR2's, FXR3's, and FXR4's are most reflective of this PARTICULAR model, ie: the matching Tank size ie: 4.2 gallon, the tank trim panel with the instrument housing, stock they began in "wrinkle black" notice that this one has the chrome tank pannel trim and the instrument housing. Of all the choices HD had to replicate they chose the 5 year run of the FXRS Low Rider from 1988-1992

Where are the indicator lights? Are they in the console? If so, can I use that console on the FXR3? :confused5:

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #161 on: August 17, 2008, 01:15:06 AM »

1992 FXRS Low Rider Photo:

Howie, if you look at the above photos and you look at this photo, I believe you will see that the "instrument gauges" are on the "canopy" that cover's the head light, just like what is done on the 2002-2005 Dyna Low Rider....[could even be more years but I know these years apply for sure]

NOTICE THE LOCATION OF THE RED ARROW

« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 01:20:24 AM by FXR2evo99 »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #162 on: August 17, 2008, 01:19:21 AM »

Howie, if you look at the above photos and you look at this photo, I believe you will see that the "instrument gauges" are on the "canopy" that cover's the head light, just like what is done on the 2002-2005 Dyna Low Rider....[could even be more years but I know these years apply for sure]

Regards,

Tim

Oh yeah, that's what they did! Thanks Tim! :2vrolijk_21:

We have that cool headlight though. Oh well, back to doing it custom. I'm liking the idea of flush mounting them in the console. Maybe LED's! ;)

Hoist! 8)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #163 on: August 19, 2008, 02:01:35 AM »

1983 FXRT PHOTO BELOW:
36,000 miles

CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN   Isn't this a beauty?

Regards,

Tim

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 02:06:44 AM by FXR2evo99 »

93 FXR

« Reply #164 on: August 19, 2008, 08:33:11 PM »

Woo Hoo, another FXR afficionado!!! We're getting em in droves these days!!! :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

Welcome aboard TL!!! You definitely found the right board to hit first! We all know we're fortunate having the best of the best bikes they made!!! Enjoy this great site man!!! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)

Thought I'd jump in....

Here's my '93 with less than 10 grand on the clock...

Was bone stock when I found it....brought it home with

5123 miles......about this time last year.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 25 queries.