Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21

Author Topic: FXR HISTORY  (Read 290153 times)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
Re: FXR HISTORY
« Reply #210 on: February 15, 2009, 05:23:54 AM »

Thanks to Kevin below for his added input he could tell by it's appearance that what we appear to have here is a 1986 FXRD Seems to be in pretty good shape.......We do talk about this particular model much earlier in the THREAD..... :2vrolijk_21:

Regards,

Tim

[NOTE: Please remember that putting your cursor next to the paper clip icon below the photo will allow you to enlarge the photo plus save it to your computer if you desire OR if you merely wish to see it enlarged simply put your cursor on the photo and "LEFT" click and it will enlarge]
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 04:18:52 AM by FXR2evo99 »

revinkevin

« Reply #211 on: February 15, 2009, 06:29:11 AM »

woooot ... that is a 1986 FXR(D)  :2vrolijk_21:

What distinguishes an FXRD from an FXRT is the dual exhaust, floorboards, heel/toe shifter,gauge cluster on the handlebars, wider touring seat and the tour pak was standard equipment. I believe it was the first year for the Factory Premium Sound system too with the radio controls on the handle bars. This model was produced in 1986 only and less than 1,000 made. Not sure how many have survived.

too bad he's missing the original mufflers, paint and decals.

Thanx for that pic Tim

FXRD GRAND TOURING EDITION

« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 06:34:16 AM by revinkevin »

TLMitchell

« Reply #212 on: June 13, 2009, 02:11:45 AM »

Wow! What a great thread! Once I started I couldn't stop until the last post.

My indoctrination into FXRs began with the aquisition of a 1986 FXRS Lowrider Sport Edition 6 years ago. It's a real "bike in a barn" story.

Purchased near Atlanta, GA, the original owner put 2025 miles on it in the 2 years he owned it as evidenced by the GA title I received at purchase. (wish I would have made a copy of it before transfer to Ohio) The 2nd owner put an additional 4000 miles or less on it, the bike had 6003 miles on the clock when I first laid eyes on it in August 2003.

Here's where things get interesting, the 2nd owner had the bike prepared for storage as he was moving to the Caribbean for what was supposed to be a year. This was circa 1991 or so. The guy that assisted in storage prep was a tech and later Service Manager at the original selling dealer. They pickled the engine, tranny and primary, sprayed the bike down with cosmoline and put it up on jackstands before covering it up.

Fast forward 11 or 12 years.... this now former Service Manager is running an independent shop near Atlanta. He gets contacted by the FXR owner still living in the Caribbean who wants him to pull the bike out of storage, make it road-ready and sell it. The owner obviously wasn't in touch with 2003 used H-D prices because he names a fairly low price he'd like to realize and tells the now-indy dealer that he can keep anything over that amount. So the bike gets pulled out of storage, cleaned up, new battery, replaced dry-rotted original front tire , fresh fluids, cleaned and rebuilt the original Keihin butterfly, fires it up and goes for a ride. The darn bike still felt tight, like new.

I first heard of the bike when the indy dealer posted to an Internet list I'm on. Said the bike was going in Cycle Trader for $7200 unless someone he knew was interested. In that case it could be bought for $6500. I requested pictures and after seeing them was on the phone pronto. I asked question after question and after becoming nearly exasperated this guy sez, "geeez, it's almost like a new bike! Just buy it!" I FedEx'd a deposit that day and 2 days later was on a flight from Cleveland to Atlanta. Road it home over 2 days, US23 from the guy's shop all the way to central Ohio. One near calamity enroute.... the rear axles didn't get the hole for the cotter pin until 1989. After a particularly spirited ride through the NC/TN/VA hills and twisties I was stopped at a red light in Wise, VA. Letting out the clutch I felt the rear end drop and the bike wouldn't budge. Looking under the right saddlebag I see no castle nut... Hell!.. I didn't even see an axle end!!! Looking under the left bag I see the axle sticking out about 4 inches from the swingarm. I must have been living right because if that axle would've slid out of the swingarm in the preceding hour or so I would've been smeared somewhere along US 23.

I got hauled to an H-D dealer in Pikeville, KY and the next morning a new axle WITH cotter pin hole was installed, wheel bearings and everything related inspected and away I went.

Over the years I've vacillated over what I wanted to do to the bike. Originally, I wanted an FXR to make it my own.... bobbed rear fender, mid glide front end, chrome, paint... lots of stuff. But knowing I had an (then) almost 18 year old bike that was pretty darn close to the way it had rolled out of the showroom I figured it'd be nothing short of criminal to bastardize it now.

I road the bike for 2 - 3 thousand miles before the 18 year old gaskets started doing what I knew they were going to do. When the inner primary started dripping I upgraded to a 32 amp stator and new voltage regulator 'while I'm in there'. Also replaced the reportedly problematic transmission pulley which had been upgraded with a stouter hub.

When the right side gaskets started to leak the base gaskets were just beginning to weep. "While I'm in there" the heads got a bit of a cleanup, new lifters, base and rocker gaskets etc. We also pulled the cam to take a look at the inner bearing. All probably woulda been fine if we wouldn't have pulled the cam. The journal end was scored so the cam and inner bearing both got replaced. The wrench that assisted me had a new EV3 laying around so we stuck that in. As much as I wanted to now keep the bike OEM putting the EV3 in was a real good decision   :)

In the interim I've cleaned grounds and electrical connections, replaced the starter relay and turn signal flasher with upgraded items, put fresh rubber on the rear, stuck a sealed beam headlight on (with replaceable 55w 100 H4 bulb.... the original was an anemic 35w 55) and cleaned and polished everything that can be cleaned or polished. Front and rear cast wheels shine like new as do the aluminum rocker covers. There's some blemishes on the coating on the primary cover and some rubs on the coating on the ignition cone. Other than that it's clean as a whistle.

(continued)

TLMitchell

« Reply #213 on: June 13, 2009, 02:12:58 AM »

(meanwhile, back at the FXR...)

Closer inspection while we've been bonding over the years revealed that the tank and front fender have been resprayed. When I inquired I was told some racks and stuff hanging on the garage wall had fallen on it when they were pulling it out of storage. The paint was done locally and a pretty good match.... most wouldn't notice it. But when you're cleaning and polishing and really looking close you can see a slight bit of fisheye here and there and some dust in the finish. Plus is been clearcoated which gives it an artificial shine, if you're familiar enough with 80s H-D paint to know it shouldn't be cleared you might notice. Most people never do unless it's pointed out.

Now here's the crying shame.... I've only put an additional 7000 miles on it in the past 5 1/2 years. My daily ride is a dresser. Once you have enough room to carry anything you'll need on the bike it's sometimes inconvenient to ride a bit more spartan like "the good old days". Thinking back to leather bungeed on top of the headlight, newspapers stuffed down the front of your jacket to try and keep warm and sitting on the side of the road with a tool roll open..... the "good old days" might not have been as good as we thought they were then. So the FXR usually stays within 100 miles of home and gets put through it's paces on those days I don't need to carry a lot of leather or raingear and I don't need the room to stuff whatever I might pick up here or there.

Every time I look at that bike sitting in the garage I think I ought to sell it. I don't ride it enough and someone *ought* to. It was made to be ridden. But every time I fire it up, especially when I find the curves it was made for, I decide there's NO WAY I'll part with it !

I've learned a lot about this particular model over the years but there's a couple of blanks still there. The Parts Manual indicates the Sport Edition parts in the rear of the book as "High Performance". It appears the Sport Edition was a dealer-ordered option for '86. The longer front legs, higher kickstand and rear shocks, longer speedo cable amd additional right side front disc are listed, among other things. I've been unable to determine how many went out the door that way that year. I'm also a little sketchy on the designation. FXRS Lowrider Sport Edition is pretty clear. As far as letters I find references to FXRSE in the original Owner's Manual and Service Manual but I find no mention of that designation anywhere else. In '87 it lost the buckhorns and the EGL VIN became the -Sp. But other than those tidbits I'm in the dark as to whether FXRSE was ever the official designation.

Anyway, since....

:worthless:

Here it is:

I've been keeping my eye out for that fugly OEM exhaust with no luck. The Cycle Shacks pictured ran good but sounded like spam cans. A friend recently gave me some Python IIIs that look better and make it sound like a Harley should. A little loud for my tastes when you get on it but 100% better than the POS drags that were kludged on it when I got it.

TL

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #214 on: June 13, 2009, 07:37:59 AM »

TLMitchell

Welcome to the site TLM. Great story. Nice scooter! I still have my OEM header pipes around here somewhere if your interested.

JW

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #215 on: June 25, 2009, 03:21:27 PM »

Nice story ...... very interesting too

Welcome !

Thanks for the pics too, your skooter looks REAL GOOD !!
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #216 on: June 25, 2009, 06:35:53 PM »

Glad you took the time to write up the 'bike from a barn' story for us.  I feel your dilema concerning selling or watching it sit....I too went thru that with my knuckle and ended up selling it 'cause I was into sailing and not riding it....big mistake, but like you said.....maybe the good ole days really weren't that good.  ??? har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Fred Average

« Reply #217 on: November 07, 2009, 01:32:58 AM »

Nice  FXR  History    posting .  The FXRD (commonly called THE R OAD D AWG at THE Motor Co.) was a 1 year only model=1986

fartnokker

« Reply #218 on: November 16, 2009, 08:43:57 AM »

I know I'm late to the party, but I've really enjoyed reading this thread end to end.  Thanks to all for such a great & comprehensive look at FXR history.

Mine is a work in progress, like most... Lusted after FXR's for years, and finally got the opportunity to get one for a good price.  It is a 1988 FXRP that was completely gone over back in about 1990 and converted to something resembling an FXLR.  Had the FXLR tank, lowered front & back, forward controls, bobbed rear fender, and some motor work done.  Worst of all, it had a horrific custom paint job (black, metallic green, and gold leaf "spirit horse" graphics!), and most every chrome piece was gold-plated or had "Live To Ride" crap on it.

I've been working hard at de-crapifying it ever since I got it last year, and have been wrestling with electrical problems galore.  I've replaced the tires, battery, ignition, starter, lights, turn sigs, exhaust, solenoid, relays, voltage regulator, clutch, seat, handlebars, air cleaner, forward controls, gas tank, gauges, mirrors, added spotlight bar, changed out rear brake master cylinder, etc., etc... painted it myself, and replaced damned near every fastener on the bike with chrome instead of gold!  The list keeps getting longer, and there's still work to be done, but it is a labor of love.  It'll never be anything near stock, but that's okay by me - I love "Black Betty", as I've dubbed her, and my wife & I rode her to the courthouse & back when we got married, so the sentimental value is off the charts.  I've been making changes to my taste, and the response has been pretty positive overall.  Let's just say that it now looks nothing whatsoever like the bike I bought!!!

It is great to see all the enthusiastic support for the FXR - in my opinion, the cult classic of Harley-Davidson.  Whenever I go into a dealership or indy shop, people want to comment on how cool FXR's are, except the RUB-types who can't figure out if it is a Sportster or a Dyna!  :)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 08:51:05 AM by fartnokker »

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #219 on: November 17, 2009, 05:29:32 PM »

I know I'm late to the party, but I've really enjoyed reading this thread end to end.  Thanks to all for such a great & comprehensive look at FXR history.

Mine is a work in progress, like most... Lusted after FXR's for years, and finally got the opportunity to get one for a good price.  It is a 1988 FXRP that was completely gone over back in about 1990 and converted to something resembling an FXLR.  Had the FXLR tank, lowered front & back, forward controls, bobbed rear fender, and some motor work done.  Worst of all, it had a horrific custom paint job (black, metallic green, and gold leaf "spirit horse" graphics!), and most every chrome piece was gold-plated or had "Live To Ride" crap on it.

I've been working hard at de-crapifying it ever since I got it last year, and have been wrestling with electrical problems galore.  I've replaced the tires, battery, ignition, starter, lights, turn sigs, exhaust, solenoid, relays, voltage regulator, clutch, seat, handlebars, air cleaner, forward controls, gas tank, gauges, mirrors, added spotlight bar, changed out rear brake master cylinder, etc., etc... painted it myself, and replaced damned near every fastener on the bike with chrome instead of gold!  The list keeps getting longer, and there's still work to be done, but it is a labor of love.  It'll never be anything near stock, but that's okay by me - I love "Black Betty", as I've dubbed her, and my wife & I rode her to the courthouse & back when we got married, so the sentimental value is off the charts.  I've been making changes to my taste, and the response has been pretty positive overall.  Let's just say that it now looks nothing whatsoever like the bike I bought!!!

It is great to see all the enthusiastic support for the FXR - in my opinion, the cult classic of Harley-Davidson.  Whenever I go into a dealership or indy shop, people want to comment on how cool FXR's are, except the RUB-types who can't figure out if it is a Sportster or a Dyna!  :)

Welcome, great looking ride.  You comment is so true, most people don't know what an FXR is.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #220 on: November 18, 2009, 09:08:30 AM »

Welcome aboard fartnokker! Funny name you chose! Great having an FXR "afficionado" on board, who understands how special the FXR's are, and appreciates them even more now that they haven't been made in 10 years. Really 15 besides the CVO 2/3/4 run! I like what you've done! It'd be nice to see it at our FXR GTG next June, 2010 in The Smokies! All the info is in the thread I have linked in my signature. Hope to see both of you there!!! :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

91FXR

« Reply #221 on: December 22, 2009, 11:35:22 AM »

I read on page 6 that the rake/trail for the SP and the CONV. are different from the other models. 31 degs. / 4.82"  compared to 29 degs. / 4.66" respectively.  Is that difference in the neck of the frame or are the upper and lower trees offset 2 degs? I am wanting an SP but I've been told I could make my own with any FXR frame. I'm ok with that but the specs tell a different story. Any FXR owners have any insight on this?

Thanks, Dennis 

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #222 on: December 27, 2009, 03:37:54 PM »

I read on page 6 that the rake/trail for the SP and the CONV. are different from the other models. 31 degs. / 4.82"  compared to 29 degs. / 4.66" respectively.  Is that difference in the neck of the frame or are the upper and lower trees offset 2 degs? I am wanting an SP but I've been told I could make my own with any FXR frame. I'm ok with that but the specs tell a different story. Any FXR owners have any insight on this?

Thanks, Dennis 

Sorry Dennis, I can't help, that stuff is beyond my knowledge....
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

vaquerorngr

« Reply #223 on: April 07, 2010, 12:08:54 AM »

Here's a question I just bought a 1985 FXRS. It has 28,000 original miles. The normal upgrades, exhaust (v&h short shots, which I will probably replace with supertrapp 2:1), s&s carb and intake, custom paint with flames (not a big fan of flames but looks pretty good), other then that, it is pretty much stock. My question is I have read that the FXRS-SP was introduced in 1986, and is denoted by a EG in the vin on the 5th and 6th digits. Here is my vin 1HD1EGL19FY119435 . You can see the EG which is an FXRS-SP and an F as the tenth digit which is definetly and 85 model. Could it be they did make some in 1985, it's obvious from my bike they did. It has the longer fork and the dual front discs. My other question is what are the other differences in the fxrs and the fxrs-sp.

Thanks for any reply, Michael

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
« Reply #224 on: April 07, 2010, 09:16:31 AM »

Here's a question I just bought a 1985 FXRS. It has 28,000 original miles. The normal upgrades, exhaust (v&h short shots, which I will probably replace with supertrapp 2:1), s&s carb and intake, custom paint with flames (not a big fan of flames but looks pretty good), other then that, it is pretty much stock. My question is I have read that the FXRS-SP was introduced in 1986, and is denoted by a EG in the vin on the 5th and 6th digits. Here is my vin 1HD1EGL19FY119435 . You can see the EG which is an FXRS-SP and an F as the tenth digit which is definetly and 85 model. Could it be they did make some in 1985, it's obvious from my bike they did. It has the longer fork and the dual front discs. My other question is what are the other differences in the fxrs and the fxrs-sp.

Thanks for any reply, Michael

I owned a 1985 FXRS bought it new. Had a choice of the FXRS or FXRS-SP. My dealer had one of each sitting there same color. I took the regular FXRS because of the lower stance. The SP had a longer fork and shocks and dual disc front brakes. That was all the difference to my knowledge. 85 transmission had the clutch lever on the outside top of side cover. 1986 the new style with cable going into cover came out. Easy way to tell.  :2vrolijk_21:
2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21

Page created in 0.4 seconds with 21 queries.