Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Proper Riding Gear  (Read 2850 times)

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Proper Riding Gear
« on: June 03, 2016, 03:01:55 PM »

Read this on Bikernet, sometimes it is very hot and gear is overlooked. Deal like this will make you think.
http://blog.bikernet.com/dress-slide-not-ride/

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
Re: Proper Riding Gear
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 06:44:10 PM »

Yup, not a lot of ATGATT fans here but I'm in full gear of some sorts no matter what the temp or which one of our bikes I'm on.

4fun

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 06:49:32 PM »

I also wear gear, full face helmet boots, gloves, jacket (vented when it is hot out). Sometimes I think about wearing less but then I remember the time a left turner took me down by surprise. I get a few funny looks sometimes but that does not bother me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

bandit

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3, TP, Saddleman Explorer
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 07:04:28 AM »

I feel uncomfortable, when not full dressed up. Vented clothes in summer, but still with protection on.  :2vrolijk_21:
It is not that we have less time, it is much time that we use wrong.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 08:48:51 AM »

Dress for the slide, not the ride was the title when I ran across this pic a couple of weeks ago.....
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 10:32:11 AM »

JCZ, I had a friend in NC back in the early 80's , he & girlfriend rode around in flip flops, & bathing suit (him- no shirt, her in string bikini, & good looking I might add). then they went down 2 blocks from the house. she looked worse than the pic & she lost her entire suit, laying on the hot asphalt naked. she lost one nipple & lot of skin. thought they were looking cool, not so much anymore. she had to have skin graphs.
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 11:13:22 AM »

I feel uncomfortable, when not full dressed up. Vented clothes in summer, but still with protection on.  :2vrolijk_21:

Same for me. It's a pain sometimes, especially when it's 90 degrees with 90% humidity but I feel too vulnerable without all my gear.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 11:24:06 AM »

JCZ, I had a friend in NC back in the early 80's , he & girlfriend rode around in flip flops, & bathing suit (him- no shirt, her in string bikini, & good looking I might add). then they went down 2 blocks from the house. she looked worse than the pic & she lost her entire suit, laying on the hot asphalt naked. she lost one nipple & lot of skin. thought they were looking cool, not so much anymore. she had to have skin graphs.

I rode many, many years without a shirt when it would get in the triple digit temps, even rode without a helmet for several decades until they passed the helmet law (then ended up with a shattered jaw from one accident).  Even wore shorts for a brief period of time (riding through a swarm of bees in the mountains cured that real quick).  I still wear a t-shirt or a sun shirt when it's above 90F due to the heat affecting me a lot more in recent years.  Riding has known, inherant risks and I just pray I never end up like the photo above!
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 10:38:03 PM »

Since '99 I have ridden with gloves, jacket, at least jeans and 8" min boots on every ride. Had a hard time at first in the summer but it has gotten better, discovered Vanson several years ago and use there stuff for 3 seasons here in Florida. I have an older model Vent Max that has full armor and is made of the toughest Cordura mesh of anything I have ever seen and is closest, temp wise, to wearing no coat I can find. I use HELD summer gloves, max protection, but very pricey but the current pair have almost 4 years on them. Either FXRG or Ridge 9000 boots and a Shoei Neotec full face. Used to it now and have a hard time understanding anyone who doesn't.
Remember sliding up the road in 1974, no fun.

RAINEY

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MI

• Apex Oil lab
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 09:57:29 PM »

Wearing proper protection even in the heat is always a good idea. I'm an ATGATT guy too. If you buy proper hot weather protective gear you actually will be cooler and not dehydrate as quickly. The venting is like a nice fan while the material protects you from the sun or the unfortunate slide/impact. If you're into looking cool there's a lot of nice proper gear available.

Jason
2015 CVO Limited

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 21 queries.