Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Pushing Fuel Limit Almost Ended Up Pushing The Bike  (Read 7490 times)

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-sold
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG
Re: Pushing Fuel Limit Almost Ended Up Pushing The Bike
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2016, 04:48:20 PM »

I haven't ever ran out on a bike, even though the fuel might came on and the range went to 0 we still managed to roll into a station on my Ultra. I have ran out in a tractor and a car. I've figured out that it takes, an emence amount of time to get where I'm going if I'm waiting for someone to bring me fuel, as apposed to just stopping to fill, even if it's not my preferred fuel type. We will run with the fuel light on, as long as we know where our fuel stops are, but I have no desire to experience an pucker factor. Good news fuel stops are now closer together than every 100 miles out west, as long as your not trying to avoid civilization.
Supershooter

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2016, 12:41:07 PM »

I generally get gas when just under 1/4 with around 180 to 200 miles on the tank.   I have gone further and the most I have put in was 5.1 gallons. Which tells me I have at least another 40 miles.   

I worked a gas station in the early 70s'. Regular was 19 to 29 during that time. Man I enjoyed working there!  I learned a lot about life and people with so many comings and goings.  We stayed open until 11 which was late and you would see some interesting people. 

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2016, 12:59:21 PM »

I generally get gas when just under 1/4 with around 180 to 200 miles on the tank.   I have gone further and the most I have put in was 5.1 gallons. Which tells me I have at least another 40 miles.   

I worked a gas station in the early 70s'. Regular was 19 to 29 during that time. Man I enjoyed working there!  I learned a lot about life and people with so many comings and goings.  We stayed open until 11 which was late and you would see some interesting people.

Ahhh........the memories!  I worked at the Texaco Station in High School, and our town was also a College town.  Saw a lot of great scenery, cleaning windshields on all those college girls cars.  Think us ol' boys called it "beaver shots", back then.  Lol.  Back when we would clean the windshield, check the oil, and gauge the tires for patrons.  Different world back then.  Later--HUBBARD 

2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

coloradotom

• Senior CVO Member
    • CO

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2016, 02:40:08 PM »

A long time ago on my first injected bike ('01 Fat Boy) I ran it out & pushed it the first week I had it and learned there was no reserve.  :oops:

I also go by miles & I still don't trust the gauges.

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2016, 03:38:34 PM »

My '07 bike had a faulty fuel gage, learned that the hard way right after I got it. Worst part about that experience was that I ran out of gas right in front of a fertilizer plant near Dothan, AL. Man that was a stinky place!

Speaking of low gas prices, I had a '68 T-bird when I was in high school. I could fill her up, it held about 24 gallons, for about $10 and cruise all night.  I had to get rid of that car when gas hit $1/gallon, what college kid could afford that?  :o
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 22 queries.