Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Windshields and the Stock Gasket???  (Read 3827 times)

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
Re: Windshields and the Stock Gasket???
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2009, 07:42:48 AM »

Just a personal note....anyone who can make the KW fit with the stock SERG windshield rubber  knows magic of some sort. Put my 12" on with no gasket and it looked fine but was dissapointing compared to the Std Road Glide Stock windshield. The short CVO shield looks good, the KW looks good but the HD stocker for the RG Std is the best I have used so far. There are others out there that sound interesting but I am trying not to have more than three at a time. (Not sure why)
Now keep in mind I got my SERG last Sept, many of thre production stamps are from early August.
upon delivery the dealer put the KW 12" on the bike with stock gasket, and it fit. and I then installed the chrome trim piece, it fit. when talking to CB, joe, he said the KW should not fit, but it did, then put on the CB with stock gasket and chrome trim, it fir, but not as good. change the hardware to the CV, it fit, then got the CV Stock w recurve. the stock gasket is in the box, but the trim piece is on and it fits, I am done with windshields. Upon meeting and seeing many other SERGs this past weekend I know there are many differences to the CV recurve, some have little, mine has alot ???.saw the windvest rider said it suk'd.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 07:45:35 AM by LarryB »
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

2UP3DOWN

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2UP3DOWN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHTCUTGSE - Sunset Orange &amp Sunset Black
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3 Silver Surfer - 2013 FLHRSE5 Crushed Saphire
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2009, 10:52:58 AM »

I just recieved my CV Sport windshield (8") to replace the stock deflector.  I can live with the look since it is a little more sportier than other taller windshields.

There is a minor gap/space/bowing between the two far outside screws and the two mid screws.  The windshield appears to bowed out very slightly pretty much on both sides. The actual gap between the shield and the fairing is approximately 1/8" if that.

I've installed the rubber trim piece that CV includes and this helps to distract away from the space.

My question is; does anyone know or has anyone had the experience of dremmeling out or widening the holes so that possibly the windshield might lay flatter against the fairing..?   Or...   an even more riskier solution; has anyone ever used a heat gun to reform the lexan/shield material to compensate for the bend..?

CV users, what have you found the results to be on your 09 SERG's..?

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2009, 11:34:53 AM »

I added extra washers to the outside attachment to even it out. when installing, I put the screws in first, then added washers, then started the well nuts, inserted into holes, then tightened. took a bit of finagling. then took it off and added washers as necessary. be sure to use nylon washers. got them from HD, thats home depot.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

sem_bunda

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 Electric Orange
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2009, 05:37:26 PM »

I have the KW 8" and did not use the gasket.  Have ordered CB 14" and will use the stock gasket with it when it arrives.  Will try to remember to post comparison, but I know the CB will be night and day better and is supposed to fit with the stock SERG gasket.

Tony Smith

• Full CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHXSE
    • CVO3: 2019 FLHXSE
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2009, 10:19:50 PM »

I have the KW 8" and did not use the gasket.  Have ordered CB 14" and will use the stock gasket with it when it arrives.  Will try to remember to post comparison, but I know the CB will be night and day better and is supposed to fit with the stock SERG gasket.

So how does the CB 14" work?  How tll are you?
2019 FLHXSE Black Forest/Wineberry
2017 FLHXSE Black/Orange FOR SALE
2012 FLTRU Black SOLD
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver SOLD
2007 FXSTC Black Cherry/Pewter SOLD
1988 Suzuki Katana 750 SOLD
1994 Kawasaki KX250 SOLD
1974 Honda 500 (crashed and left in a ditch somewhere)

sem_bunda

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 Electric Orange
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2009, 09:06:38 PM »

So how does the CB 14" work?  How tll are you?
asmith1923, I have not installed the CB yet, it is supposed to arrive on 5.22 and we are leaving early 5.23 for Memorial Day weekend trip up into AR and Talamena Parkway.  Hoping it arrives before the trip so the wife will be happy on the road.  I will post comments re: the difference as soon as I can get it installed and road tested.  I am 5'10 a shade under 5'11" and ordered the 14" CB.

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2009, 02:51:47 AM »

the CB14" should work at your height , i guess , don`t worry , the look is another discussion , hmmm .
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 21 queries.