Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Screaming Eagle Tuner  (Read 10842 times)

Layin the Pipe

• Drill baby drill!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FXSBSE Hard Candy Gold Dust/Liquid Sun
Screaming Eagle Tuner
« on: February 18, 2013, 01:42:39 PM »

I've been talking to a shop in Wyoming about putting on V/H pipes and a Thundermax Tuner for the auto tune feature. The guy that own the shop is telling me that he prefers using the screaming eagle tuner and they will build a custom map for it.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 11:56:02 AM by Layin the Pipe »
You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas! - Davy Crockett

Born2Live

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: FLHXSE 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: VRSCF 2013 V Rod Muscle
Re: Screaming Eagle Tuner
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 03:48:59 PM »

I am not the expert but after all of my research, It appears the Power Commander V and the Power Vision have the highest reviews.  My Harley Dealer prefers the Power Commander V.  The "race tuners" allow you to tune pass the 5000-5500rpms and get around the rev limiter programming.  It is my understanding that if a "race tuner" is put on the bike it automatically  voids any warranty.  I ended up buying the Power Vision and can hopefully tell you all about next week if my bike arrives this week.
Fuelmoto 2-1-2 Jackpot Headers
Fuelmoto FLH E Series Mufflers - 14 discs

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 04:16:25 PM »

What's the price for that perfect map?  Not sure what a "race tuner" is, but every dealer I've ever asked said that they will honor the warranty with just pipes and a tuner.

Often, a canned map from a good vendor like Fullsac and Metal Dragon will give you exactly what you're looking for.  

grayghost731

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Built For ME! Love My Fatboy CVO

• CVO1: FLSTFSE Platinum Mist&Slate 102.81 HP 113.47 Torque
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 04:37:12 PM »

I have the Super Tuner S.E. PRO  that's what the box says  :nixweiss:

That is what my tuner wanted and prefers    ;)  Since I don't do my own tuning,He's the BOSS  lol  :huepfenlol2:

Always get what the tuner request and everything should go good.

I have had no problems with the tune  or the product   :2vrolijk_21:

I was told it is the BEST   :nixweiss:  Im sure there are plenty of opinions  :)

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 06:21:59 PM »

I am not the expert but after all of my research, It appears the Power Commander V and the Power Vision have the highest reviews.  My Harley Dealer prefers the Power Commander V.  The "race tuners" allow you to tune pass the 5000-5500rpms and get around the rev limiter programming.  It is my understanding that if a "race tuner" is put on the bike it automatically  voids any warranty.  I ended up buying the Power Vision and can hopefully tell you all about next week if my bike arrives this week.

Just to be clear...the race tuner and the power vision accomplish the same thing...changing the map that the bike runs on. If the dealer voids the warranty when using the race tuner, then he should also with the power vision--unless he wants to sell you that one. Either way....find a tuner that you trust and ask him what product he uses to tune with and go with that.

Z06_Pilot

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Breakout-crimson red
    • CVO2: 2012 V-Rod/10th Anniversary edition..well it SHOULD have been a CVO!
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 09:03:16 PM »

Not sure I the whole "voids the warranty" from dealers.  I can't speak for the SERT, but with the PV, I have my original, HD factory tune saved in position 6.  If for some reason I experience an engine or emission issue, I simply load the stock tune in and take it to the dealer....
2013 CVO Breakout-crimson red, V/H Big Radius 2-2, Power Vision tuner, Kuryakyn swingarm plate mount
2012 10th Anniversary V-Rod, TAB slash-cut exhaust, Cobra Fi2000 Pro Tuner

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 09:25:01 PM »

if any bike under warranty gets to the dealer with mod tune, mod intake, mod exhaust or any combination or ANY mech mods - that are not street legal mods - they can, if they wish, void the warranty on the engine itself, and possibly the whole drivetrain.

there are two conflicting views and sets of laws. one says that if you "tamper" its illegal and you can be fined and the bike can no longer be ridden on the road - the other point of view is that under the warranty laws they have to prove your mod did the damage.

in actual practice you have to prove your mod DID NOT do the damage. [you know hire lawers etc] the installing dealer may honor the warranty [ie provide a dealer warranty] but if it fails 6 states away you will be paying the bill. every so often some dealer or shop gets fined - and it sort of flows down to the owners via zero warranty coverage. and last if you have a extended warranty - that is actually a insurance policy where you agree to pay x bux and ride it STONE STOCK during the period of the contract and they agree to fix anything that fails during the contract time.

the last is the one that is most likely to ruin your day. if you have a extended and you want a blown engine covered you need to get it to the dealer with stock pipes, stock mufflers, stock air cleaner & stock tune - or its often game over depending on how much lying to the warranty rep the dealer is willing to do.

tts and the new pv allow returning the ecm to stock - very very cool - but keep all the rest and return that to stock or its possibly a waste of time. ssert, street tuner, tts are the least likely to cause actual problems. the old power commanders & similar add on units cause actual problems at times.

the real deal - do what you want - just dont think for a instant that there is any real warranty coverage once you start messing with the engine, then you wont be disappointed or upset. performance mods are not for those who care about a warranty at all. the two thought processes are basically mutually exclusive - stock and warranty - hot rod and no warranty. there IS some grey area in the middle but its grey - you wont know what you can get your dealer to actually do until they do or dont do something - whatever the salesman says and two bits will get you a cheap cup of coffee.

Born2Live

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 10:08:50 PM »

Just to be clear...the race tuner and the power vision accomplish the same thing...changing the map that the bike runs on. If the dealer voids the warranty when using the race tuner, then he should also with the power vision--unless he wants to sell you that one. Either way....find a tuner that you trust and ask him what product he uses to tune with and go with that.

From what I understand and I only know what I heard, is that there are programmable race tuners that allow you to tune past the 5500 rpm limit.  Harley has tags on these specific tuners if they are used and state that it will void warranties.  The Power vision will not modify the base ECM to tune past the 5500 rpm limit.  I am only repeating what I heard at a performance seminar I attended at my dealer that addressed this issue.

cherryseeg2

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
  • J&B Performance Cycles
    • TN

• CVO1: 2003 Deuce traded for CVO 2
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 03:29:04 AM »

Having used power vision and tts both I know for a fact they will tune past 5500. As MJB said they all do the same thing with a different name on the box. Just because Harley markets theirs as a "race tuner" doesn't mean it's strictly for racing. If your tuner says he's best with the pro tuner go with it and if he's good you won't regret it.
2005 SEEG2 J&B Performance 120 -163/144

maia812

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 08:06:17 AM »

I've been talking to a shop in Wyoming about putting on V/H pipes and a Thundermax Tuner for the auto tune feature. The guy that own the shop is telling me that he prefers using the screaming eagle tuner and they will build a custom map for it. They build race bikes for Hiro Koiso racing and he likes building the perfect map instead of using autotune. Any thoughts here?
I had the latest version SERT done by the dealer and have been well satisfied.Since I had it done by them, Warranty is supose to be still good. They also raised my rpm to 6200 which I really like. 98.6 hp  and 97.7 trq  and a crisp throttle .

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 - CVO Softail Convertible, 2012
    • CVO2: HD Custom Softail Heritage (Sold)
    • CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 08:13:41 AM »

I am presently choosing a tuner for my FLSTSE3, would it be right to assume that with the comments listed that all tuners void the HD warranty?
Better to Reign in Hell than serve in Heaven!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 08:53:50 AM »

I am presently choosing a tuner for my FLSTSE3, would it be right to assume that with the comments listed that all tuners void the HD warranty?

The simple answer is yes, modifications to the stock engine management system by whatever means and using whatever device and software package can void your emission and powertrain warranty.  And it's not up to the dealer to make that determination, although they can heavily influence any warranty decision by how they talk to H-D.  The warranty is from H-D, not the dealer.  So anything the local dealer tells you about "if you have us do it we won't void the warranty" is just BS, they don't have that authority (unless they plan to pay for repairs out of their own pockets, which I doubt).  Anyone who agrees to let a dealer do mods based on such a BS statement needs to get the dealer principle, not the hired help, to put it in writing to make it legally enforceable.  Once again, it's highly unlikely they will do that, but if you insist it sure will cut through all the BS pretty quickly.

If warranty is really that important to anyone, they need to think about this sort of thing before they let their dealership sell them a bunch of mods along with the BS.  A simple pipe and tune is usually a safe bet, but all bets are off when you let them sell you any internal mods.  And with all the reports over the past couple years of both Harley and the ESP folks denying warranty or ESP coverage due to mods, they obviously aren't looking the other way as much as they have in the past.

If someone really wants to avoid the possible hassle, then do not use an SEPST but instead use a TTS or PV that allows you to reinstall the stock map (assuming you followed directions and saved it) before taking the bike in for service or repairs.  The SEPST doesn't offer that capability, and as soon as the dealership hooks the bike up to their computer the fact you have an unauthorized calibration installed will be recorded and Harley has access to that information.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 - CVO Softail Convertible, 2012
    • CVO2: HD Custom Softail Heritage (Sold)
    • CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 09:43:57 AM »

The simple answer is yes, modifications to the stock engine management system by whatever means and using whatever device and software package can void your emission and powertrain warranty.  And it's not up to the dealer to make that determination, although they can heavily influence any warranty decision by how they talk to H-D.  The warranty is from H-D, not the dealer.  So anything the local dealer tells you about "if you have us do it we won't void the warranty" is just BS, they don't have that authority (unless they plan to pay for repairs out of their own pockets, which I doubt).  Anyone who agrees to let a dealer do mods based on such a BS statement needs to get the dealer principle, not the hired help, to put it in writing to make it legally enforceable.  Once again, it's highly unlikely they will do that, but if you insist it sure will cut through all the BS pretty quickly.

If warranty is really that important to anyone, they need to think about this sort of thing before they let their dealership sell them a bunch of mods along with the BS.  A simple pipe and tune is usually a safe bet, but all bets are off when you let them sell you any internal mods.  And with all the reports over the past couple years of both Harley and the ESP folks denying warranty or ESP coverage due to mods, they obviously aren't looking the other way as much as they have in the past.

If someone really wants to avoid the possible hassle, then do not use an SEPST but instead use a TTS or PV that allows you to reinstall the stock map (assuming you followed directions and saved it) before taking the bike in for service or repairs.  The SEPST doesn't offer that capability, and as soon as the dealership hooks the bike up to their computer the fact you have an unauthorized calibration installed will be recorded and Harley has access to that information.

Jerry
Thanks Jerry,
You couldn't be Clearer, and your bang on with the mechanics saying its no problem!
Still cant help myself!
Only changing the exhaust, breather, adding a oil cooler and  tuner for now, the rest of the mods will be purely cosmetic,
Is their much difference in the TTS and the SEPST? he dealer just keeps pushing the SEPST!
Thanks again for your time,
Charlie
Better to Reign in Hell than serve in Heaven!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 01:39:52 PM »

From what I understand and I only know what I heard, is that there are programmable race tuners that allow you to tune past the 5500 rpm limit.  Harley has tags on these specific tuners if they are used and state that it will void warranties.  The Power vision will not modify the base ECM to tune past the 5500 rpm limit.  I am only repeating what I heard at a performance seminar I attended at my dealer that addressed this issue.

not true.  there are 2 harley tuners.  one is street legal.  the other is not.  they will both extend your rev limit beyond 5500, though the pro super tuner will give you much more tuning options, while the other will only allow you to stay with the lean air/fuel ratio... (but compensate for pipes and ac)

Is their much difference in the TTS and the SEPST? he dealer just keeps pushing the SEPST!
Thanks again for your time,
Charlie

the dealer is pushing the sepst because it is a harley product.  the tts used to be a harley product, though that was a couple software iterations ago, and then it was called the sert.  the super tuner is a fine product, if that is what the tuner is familiar with.  but be aware, like was said earlier, it does technically void your warranty coverage.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 01:47:25 PM by ekim60 »
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Born2Live

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 03:40:43 PM »

not true.  there are 2 harley tuners.  one is street legal.  the other is not.  they will both extend your rev limit beyond 5500, though the pro super tuner will give you much more tuning options, while the other will only allow you to stay with the lean air/fuel ratio... (but compensate for pipes and ac)

the dealer is pushing the sepst because it is a harley product.  the tts used to be a harley product, though that was a couple software iterations ago, and then it was called the sert.  the super tuner is a fine product, if that is what the tuner is familiar with.  but be aware, like was said earlier, it does technically void your warranty coverage.

Thanks for making that a little clearer.  Lot of different takes on this subject  :huepfenjump3:
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 24 queries.