Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Mo-Door Garage Door Opener  (Read 6934 times)

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
Re: Mo-Door Garage Door Opener
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2017, 09:01:18 PM »

That is an easy fix. $15 and 5 minutes and that is resolved. That's what I did to work with my 2015 Chamberlins.

My '15 CVO RGU did come with an opener but unfortunately its not compatible with the newer Chamberlin door opener electronics.  I've decided to just Velcro a mini remote inside my RGU fairing door for now.  Works OK except I have to take my hand off the grip to use it.

el Cadar

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2017, 09:49:43 PM »

I've got the built-in one for my '13 CUSE8.  Love it.  Seems like every time I think of having something cool done to the bike as I read the forum, I go out to the garage and realize it's already done! 

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2017, 10:03:30 PM »

My opener on the bike doesn't work with the new security openers either. It worked fine with the older version. I simply reverted back to having the opener with me. I was going to put it in the little media compartment but so far just have it in my pocket like I did for years before I had the built in remote.  There was a company that sold a unit for around $50 that hooked up the opener and worked with the existing bike remote. I never tried it to see if it worked or not.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2017, 09:03:00 AM »

I believe only the CVO EG Ultra/Ltd and RG Ultra came with the garage door openers, and still do as far as I know.

All the other CVO owners must purchase them separately.

You are correct.  Had to add it to the 12 SERG, the 13 SERK and the 17 SESG.  Came with the 15 SERGU.

I like the fact you can have five bikes and one receiver. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Glenncarp

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2017, 01:38:26 PM »

That is an easy fix. $15 and 5 minutes and that is resolved. That's what I did to work with my 2015 Chamberlins.

Can you expand on how $15 and 5 minutes corrected the issue?

4fun

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2017, 08:09:26 AM »

Can you expand on how $15 and 5 minutes corrected the issue?
It really is a simple fix, all I did was get another button that worked with the Chamberlain opener and soldered a couple of wires to the switch on the board and it works great.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 11:04:04 AM by 4fun »

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2017, 08:18:30 AM »

Did you get the a control that did not have the added security and wire the output from that control to the opener wires (I assume next to the other control).  Then the bike remote is synced up the new controller you installed?  That makes sense but you would lose the added security from the other controller. I may look at that at Home Depot today.  Thanks for sharing. 

4fun

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2017, 11:03:33 AM »

That is the actual button that came with the system.  It is not the typical pushbutton anymore. I soldered the wire to the pushbutton on the circuit board and then just wired it to the wires from the HD opener and it works perfectly. You lose the additional security measures of the unit but being that garage doors are easy to pop open anyway it doesn't matter too much.
Home depot does not sell the pushbutton, I needed to order it on Amazon for a couple of bucks.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 11:05:18 AM by 4fun »

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2017, 01:32:08 PM »

Thanks!

zigzag930

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '15 CVO RGU (FLTRUSE) Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset: Hertz HCX165; FuelMoto Stainless 2-1-2; Fullsac 2.0;TTS-100; TTS Mastertune; SuperShox; Custom Dynamic Ringz, Freedom Shield
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2017, 07:50:08 PM »

My new (used) '15 FLTRUSE did not come with the garage door receiver.  I purchased this one for $15+shipping:

https://www.amazon.com/Skylink-838R-Rolling-Code-Receiver/dp/B000KL0MMK/ref=lp_9418047011_1_2?srs=9418047011&ie=UTF8&qid=1494892005&sr=8-2

Works perfect and was a breeze to install.

It says on the box "Guaranteed to work your existing garage door opener, regardless of brand or model."

Now I can't say that it will work on some of those other are having problems with, but might we worth checking on it.  Perhaps they have updated firmware that Harley does not?

J

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2017, 09:09:06 AM »

The best approach would be for Harley to update its obsolete design and replace it with a modern one.  Since they haven't done it in the eight or more years the new garage door openers have been on the market, I'm guessing it isn't even on the priority list.

There are many ways to make the system work with the new Chamberlain and similar openers.  The least expensive method involves running the wires from the Harley receiver to the smart wall control, NOT to the opener itself, and soldering the two wires to the pins in the wall control for the button switch to operate the door.  Then you have the option of using a remote for your actual door, as detailed in this thread, either mounted to the bike with a remote pushbutton or just used like it would be used in a car.  Then there are solutions that use the system on the high end openers that allow for wireless control from various locations.  Lots of choices are out there.  For those who have bikes that didn't come with a Harley system, I highly recommend you not buy one.  There are much better options out there.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

4fun

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NJ

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2017, 01:04:19 PM »

The best approach would be for Harley to update its obsolete design and replace it with a modern one.  Since they haven't done it in the eight or more years the new garage door openers have been on the market, I'm guessing it isn't even on the priority list.

There are many ways to make the system work with the new Chamberlain and similar openers.  The least expensive method involves running the wires from the Harley receiver to the smart wall control, NOT to the opener itself, and soldering the two wires to the pins in the wall control for the button switch to operate the door.  Then you have the option of using a remote for your actual door, as detailed in this thread, either mounted to the bike with a remote pushbutton or just used like it would be used in a car.  Then there are solutions that use the system on the high end openers that allow for wireless control from various locations.  Lots of choices are out there.  For those who have bikes that didn't come with a Harley system, I highly recommend you not buy one.  There are much better options out there.

JMHO - Jerry
Taping into the wall switch is nice and easy and works great.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2017, 06:27:00 PM »

My new (used) '15 FLTRUSE did not come with the garage door receiver.  I purchased this one for $15+shipping:

https://www.amazon.com/Skylink-838R-Rolling-Code-Receiver/dp/B000KL0MMK/ref=lp_9418047011_1_2?srs=9418047011&ie=UTF8&qid=1494892005&sr=8-2

Works perfect and was a breeze to install.

It says on the box "Guaranteed to work your existing garage door opener, regardless of brand or model."

Now I can't say that it will work on some of those other are having problems with, but might we worth checking on it.  Perhaps they have updated firmware that Harley does not?

J

:cherry: Zig..........I'm signing up to get one of these receivers.  My HD receiver got taken out via a lightening strike a few weeks ago.........along with two garage door openers/one big screen tv/one stereo surround sound set/an irrigation controller and maybe more.........don't know yet but hope no other.

I've installed two new Chamerlain GDOs and damned if my old outside pushbutton remotes wouldn't work either with the new gdos.........so getting two new pushbutton remotes to hang on the outside wall of the garages.......was another $85.  This deal is around $50-60 less than a new receiver from H.D.   So I'm liking the deal and believe it will work.  My Home Owners policy is $2500 deductible..........while I'll end up close,  I don't think insurance will be in the loop and I'm all "out of pocket" to get things right again. :-\   

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2017, 07:25:07 PM »

:(
Well,  I finally got the new receiver today.  The one that Zig referenced.  It is exactly like the H.D. receiver in my garage.  It's made by the same company........only diff is no H.D. logo on the front.  Package instructions say it will work with ANY GDO.

Package has an 800 # to call if you run into problems........guess I will ring them up tomorrow.  Cause I cannot get the receiver and transmitter on the bike to talk to each other.  Wired it to the wall switch for the GDO exactly as the old H.D. receiver had been.  But repeated push/and hold on the receiver while my wife flipped the hi/lo beams on/off............did not communicate.  Yes I had the ign switch on as directed in the H.D. manual instructions.

Only "trick" I have not yet tried and will do tomorrrow morning before I ring up their hot line is to back the bike out of the garage and start it up and try it all over again..........thinking that maybe more "juice" from the transmitter might make things work.   :nixweiss:

Even before I had the lightening strike disaster,  my H.D. setup would occassionally not want to work.  Sometimes it took repeated on/offs on the headlite switch to get the damn door to go up. >:( 

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2017, 07:30:00 PM »

:(
Well,  I finally got the new receiver today.  The one that Zig referenced.  It is exactly like the H.D. receiver in my garage.  It's made by the same company........only diff is no H.D. logo on the front.  Package instructions say it will work with ANY GDO.

Package has an 800 # to call if you run into problems........guess I will ring them up tomorrow.  Cause I cannot get the receiver and transmitter on the bike to talk to each other.  Wired it to the wall switch for the GDO exactly as the old H.D. receiver had been.  But repeated push/and hold on the receiver while my wife flipped the hi/lo beams on/off............did not communicate.  Yes I had the ign switch on as directed in the H.D. manual instructions.

Only "trick" I have not yet tried and will do tomorrrow morning before I ring up their hot line is to back the bike out of the garage and start it up and try it all over again..........thinking that maybe more "juice" from the transmitter might make things work.   :nixweiss:

Even before I had the lightening strike disaster,  my H.D. setup would occassionally not want to work.  Sometimes it took repeated on/offs on the headlite switch to get the damn door to go up. >:(

Any chance you have a street glide or ultra with LED Headlights ?      might try pointing the headlight right at the receiver if you do, its the only way mine will work and  have replaced the unit behind the fairing multiple times.   The HID and Halogen work fine and even the wifes LED work on the roadglide.  /shrug
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.236 seconds with 21 queries.