Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: WHIM VS Freewire Vs nothing  (Read 594 times)

Glenncarp

WHIM VS Freewire Vs nothing
« on: April 11, 2020, 11:12:20 AM »

Taking a poll:

Should I:
Install the HD WHIM? Can use only HD stamped headsets, have t remove fairing and tank to run update cable, cost is $300 roughly, have to bring to dealer to flash.

Install Sena Freewire? Have to remove fairing to install 7 Pin connector (19 RG special does not come with one), have to find spot for connector and Freewire to fit in fairing and need access to update. Cost is $250

Install nothing? Enjoy the wind, music and screw taking calls and talking to the GPS?

Sort of leaning toward nothing, but then I am pulled toward technology.

Thoughts?

cvosjoe

• Elite CVO Member
    • Joe's Place
Re: WHIM VS Freewire Vs nothing
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 11:22:13 AM »

Taking a poll:

Should I:
Install the HD WHIM? Can use only HD stamped headsets, have t remove fairing and tank to run update cable, cost is $300 roughly, have to bring to dealer to flash.

Install Sena Freewire? Have to remove fairing to install 7 Pin connector (19 RG special does not come with one), have to find spot for connector and Freewire to fit in fairing and need access to update. Cost is $250

Install nothing? Enjoy the wind, music and screw taking calls and talking to the GPS?

Sort of leaning toward nothing, but then I am pulled toward technology.

Thoughts?
Install the WHIM. Found a used one on eBay for 155. You don't need to pull the tank. Some have run the update cable to one of the fairing speaker pods just under the cover. I ran mine along the right side wire bundle that runs from under the fairing along the upper frame rail. I have included a picture. I have seen the 30K HD Sena on eBay from 150 to 250. I ran the plug in cable for years and it is much better with the WHIM.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

2019 FLHXSE Charred Steel/Lightning Silver
2018 FLHXSE - Totaled
2017 FLTRXS Wicked Red Denim
2017 FLHXSE - Traded
2015 FLTRUSE - Traded
2014 FLHTKSE - Traded
2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Traded
2012 FLTRXSE - Sold
2011 FLTRUSE - Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 - Traded
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Traded
2004 FXSTDSE2 - Traded

Glenncarp

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 11:40:07 AM »

Thanks for the advice, just checked Ebay, lots of IPOD and navigation interface modules, no Wireless headset modules right now, Will have to keep checking. Like your mounting idea, guess it makes no sense to run just an update port back to under seat.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 12:15:11 PM »

i did the same thing.  i ran the whim update cable to the right side speaker pod.  it isn't like they are releasing new firmware updates for the whim at a rapid fire pace anyways.  i think they've done one in the past year?

depends on what you want out of the system.  if you want to be able to have full functionality, using siri for navigation, text, commands, etc.  then yeah, get the whim.  if you are okay with limited functionality, ie. CarPlay, then just get your system flashed for the whim and mic disabled.  that'll give you CarPlay and you can use your headsets to communicate rider to rider, but you won't be able to use voice commands or send/receive phone calls through the boom.

one correction, you can use non-hd branded senas with the whim, you just would have mono sound vs stereo.

look at discount sources instead of your local dealer.  i got a 2 pack of sena 30k headsets for $450, and $250 for the whim.  bought one whim locally as i had a store credit and chrome cash points so out of pocket for that one was $50.

i will say that there is a definite learning curve with this stuff.  at least for me it was. 
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 25 queries.