Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Installing internally wired (Stock) heated grips on an 17 CVO SG  (Read 558 times)

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

As some of you know that there is no internally wired kit available for the CVOs that didn't come with heated grips like my 17'.  So not wanting the generic grip kit with the wire hanging outside the bar on clutch side, note: It is possible to re-route the wire back in the bar but you will still have some wire hanging outside on the grip.
So my solution was to order the stock grips off of the Limited (air flow) and I assumed the the bike was probably pre-wired.  I was half right, the throttle assembly does have the cable for the heated grips already run but that's it.  Once I pulled the new left side wires and connected one of the 2 new ends I couldn't find a spot to connect the grips to a power source.  So again after some research I ended up buying one of the kits anyway because I figured  the right cable should be in it by looking at the part list for the kit and not wanting to order wrong cables and save trips to the now father away dealer, then I could just replace the cables that I used & resell the kit.  I ended up using a long and short cable from the kit and plugged them together and then a (Y) cable I had left over from a speaker kit to get to a power source under the seat (Probably should put a fuse holder in line but I did all this without cutting any wires)

This is the part list:
56100097A Grip, LH, Heated $270
56100096 Grip, Throttle, heated $107
69201713 Wire-long $5
69201703 Wire-short $5
69200921 Y-harness power $9 (There are a couple of different ways to connect to a power source once you get under the seat)
Not cheap but I'm happy.  FYI the generic airflow kit is $270
Hopes this helps anyone interested in doing the same thing.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 08:43:16 PM by RivRaptor »
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

Re: Installing internally wired (Stock) heated grips on an 17 CVO SG
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 07:59:46 PM »

you need to remove the plug on the throttle side under the end cap.  also you will reuse the end cap.

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

Re: Installing internally wired (Stock) heated grips on an 17 CVO SG
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 08:02:58 PM »

Then plug the 2pin connector of the new heated grip into the throttle assembly.  Then plug the 2 sides together and then connect to power source under seat area.  Reinstall end cap. Stock heated grips & no hanging / exposed wires!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 08:40:50 PM by RivRaptor »

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 21 queries.