Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ride Planner Gone?  (Read 1502 times)

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
    • Elegant Solutions Inc. dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
Ride Planner Gone?
« on: April 01, 2018, 07:30:11 PM »

Anyone notice the Ride Planner appears to have been replaced with a "Plan Your Ride" mapping app? While the Ride Planner had its quirks/faults, I'd been able to make it work for my needs. One of the features I appreciated was the B-W Hotels button which displayed B-W Hotels along your route and allowed you to check their rate and book.

This feature is missing from the new mapping app even though it offers other features such as displaying restaurants and gas stations :nixweiss:. WTF!?!
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.
dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com

2015 FLTRUSE:
Road Glide Triple SPLITSCREENS vent protection;
SE High-Flow Exhaust Sys w/4.5" Street Cannons & SE-585 cam;
Rockouts + S&S Premium lifters;
HD Premium Ride Front Fork + rear RWD RS-1 Adjustable Touring Shocks;
Fuel Moto Dynojet Power Vision Tuner & Wide-Band Target Tune;
6.5GTS BOOM! Audio Stage II 2 amp/4 spkr system;
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;
Tour-Pak Ultra Brace by eGlideGoodies

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Ride Planner Gone?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 10:38:38 PM »

Tried routing an easy ride have done before.  Works ok, a little different than the old Ride Planner.  Have not tried loading a map into the Infotainment GPS, but seems similar to before.  No "import" feature, unless I missed it.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Trigger-Man

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member
  • https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com
    • CO

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset - "quotquotTournado"quotquot
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRUSE Road Glide - Frosted Ivory/Vintage Gold "quotquotTrigger"quotquot (traded-in)
    • Elegant Solutions Inc. dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 06:40:54 PM »

Tried routing an easy ride have done before.  Works ok, a little different than the old Ride Planner.  Have not tried loading a map into the Infotainment GPS, but seems similar to before.  No "import" feature, unless I missed it.
Don't see an "import" feature either. Had a bit of trouble at first seeing my old saved Ride Planner routes, but after saving a new ride (and Bookmarking it) yesterday, it now shows all 48 of my previously created rides, so no need to import (for me). Created a one week ride and saved as a gpx file which I imported into my Infotainment navigation. Haven't tested it while riding yet, but it appears the same as the old Ride Planner. Experience will be the real test. Here's my preliminary take on the new Ride Planner:
PRO'S:
  • Uses mapping by "HERE" which is the same as used by Garmin :2vrolijk_21:. One huge benefit is it ignores "seasonal road closures" which allows for planning a trip during the Winter months which I'll ride during the Summer months. Couldn't route through a closed mountain pass with the old Ride Planner nor with the current free version of MyRoute-app which uses a Google Map
  • Appears faster and more robust than the quirky old Ride Planner
  • It's SIMPLE to use
CON'S:
  • No B-W Hotels (or any lodging) option. I'm a B-W Rewards fan and miss the ability to conveniently view (and book) B-W lodging along my route, although there are work-a-rounds.
  • No menu Zoom Option for new Waypoint to insure it's ON the road you intended. And it appears a waypoint can only be created by clicking on an existing route between locations and dragging it to the road you want to travel
  • No option to change a waypoint to a location or vice-versa
  • If you shuffle locations to change the order of the route, ALL WAYPOINTS YOU'D CREATED DISAPPEAR with the route defaulting to quickest
  • No notes option for locations. Viewing the day/date we were visiting that location was convenient particularly on a longer road trip when verifying multiple lodging bookings.
Hoping others try it and evaluate here.
Dennis
Elegant Solutions Inc.
dba Motorcycle Vent Screens
https://MotorcycleVentScreens.com

2015 FLTRUSE:
Road Glide Triple SPLITSCREENS vent protection;
SE High-Flow Exhaust Sys w/4.5" Street Cannons & SE-585 cam;
Rockouts + S&S Premium lifters;
HD Premium Ride Front Fork + rear RWD RS-1 Adjustable Touring Shocks;
Fuel Moto Dynojet Power Vision Tuner & Wide-Band Target Tune;
6.5GTS BOOM! Audio Stage II 2 amp/4 spkr system;
TPMS;
16" Freedom Shield;
Tour-Pak Ultra Brace by eGlideGoodies

TriDan

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 12:08:24 AM »

CON'S:
  • No menu Zoom Option for new Waypoint to insure it's ON the road you intended. And it appears a waypoint can only be created by clicking on an existing route between locations and dragging it to the road you want to travel
  • No option to change a waypoint to a location or vice-versa
  • If you shuffle locations to change the order of the route, ALL WAYPOINTS YOU'D CREATED DISAPPEAR with the route defaulting to quickest
  • No notes option for locations. Viewing the day/date we were visiting that location was convenient particularly on a longer road trip when verifying multiple lodging bookings.
Hoping others try it and evaluate here.

Those cons are enough for me to go find another brand's mapping software.

I have a three day, 17 waypoint ride.  Just shy of 2K miles.  I want to search for gas stations on the route and see how far it is from the last waypoint.  Well, it doesn't show you that any more.  Only full ride mileage and time/distance between turns.  Doesn't do me a hell of a lot of good for quick ride planning.

The map you posted would create 6 rides on the bike.  You cannot have more than two locations on a ride and there's no way to change the intermediate locations into waypoints.  As you said, if you add it to the bottom then move it, all the waypoints go away.    So this 17 waypoint ride "Am I on 8 or 9 this time?  I can't remember" I want one ride from start point to finish point and to be able to screw with waypoints inbetween. 

Even as it was on the older version, I would have to actually plan the route on google maps and then plug in each stop as a location then turn it into a waypoint but I would have the route's mileage between stops.

GRRRRR

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 08:35:40 AM »

I’m not a big fan of Ride Planner - old or new. Nor do I comprehend why H-D feels they need to reinvent this wheel.

There are several ride planning tools available that are MUCH more feature rich...and actually work. MyRouteApp.com and Furkot.com come to mind.
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

zigzag930

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '15 CVO RGU (FLTRUSE) Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset: Hertz HCX165; FuelMoto Stainless 2-1-2; Fullsac 2.0;TTS-100; TTS Mastertune; SuperShox; Custom Dynamic Ringz, Freedom Shield
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 03:17:17 PM »

Well it seems like the option to reverse a route is now gone too.   Not fun, when you have over dozen waypoints loaded.  What a pain in the ass.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 12:56:43 PM »

Used Ride Planner to route a bike trip for 4 couples this morning.  230 miles, almost all off interstate.  Easy enough to get it to stay off the interstate, just a few waypoints. Seemed easier than the last times I used it, and I like the "ride the route line" at the bottom of the screen. Am using MyRoute to view the GPX file, it transferred ok to my computer. 

As to downloading the GPX file from the USB into the I-taint.....after 3 tries it took the file ok.  First 2 times it took the destination & the starting points only.  No idea why.  There is a special place in GPS hell for whoever designed the Nav part of the I-taint on my bike.  I hope the sumbeech gets an I-taint they designed to try to route themselves out of hell after they get there, & they have as much "fun" with that as I did this morning.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 25 queries.