Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Amp Upgrade for RG Ultra  (Read 3979 times)

Jerry/MD

Amp Upgrade for RG Ultra
« on: February 12, 2012, 07:27:42 PM »

Well I installed J&M Rokkers in the fairing and rear pods but it seems like something is lacking....... :-\ I'm thinking an upgrade of the amp will make a difference. Now, I don't wanna go through a ton of BS...so what are my best options?

Jerry

Jerry/MD

Re: Amp Upgrade for RG Ultra
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 04:20:48 PM »

Hmmmmm, was this a hard question?  :confused5:

C'mon Man!  :'(

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 06:59:54 AM »

Since you went with J&M speakers (2-ohm) your options are limited. I'll assume you don't want to give up storage/bag space. I'll also assume you want to maintain fade control from front to back and with that in mind you can:

1. Install an Arc/Wetsounds/Elf/J&M 125.4 amp

2. Install a JL Audio XD-400/4 amp

3. Install two (2) of the Hogtunes REV 70.2 amps

Since you have a Road Glide I would go with the JL Audio amp, but that is my personal preference. All of the above should work and provide more than enough punch. I've never done an install in a Road Glide so I can't comment on fitment issues but with the room you have all should go in with minimal difficulty.

I hope this isn't a "ton of BS" for you to go through ... and you wonder why nobody replied?

Really?
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

Jerry/MD

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 08:24:24 AM »

Since you went with J&M speakers (2-ohm) your options are limited. I'll assume you don't want to give up storage/bag space. I'll also assume you want to maintain fade control from front to back and with that in mind you can:

1. Install an Arc/Wetsounds/Elf/J&M 125.4 amp

2. Install a JL Audio XD-400/4 amp

3. Install two (2) of the Hogtunes REV 70.2 amps

Since you have a Road Glide I would go with the JL Audio amp, but that is my personal preference. All of the above should work and provide more than enough punch. I've never done an install in a Road Glide so I can't comment on fitment issues but with the room you have all should go in with minimal difficulty.

I hope this isn't a "ton of BS" for you to go through ... and you wonder why nobody replied?

Really?

Holy crap, sorry I asked.  :-X I saw your thread where you documented your stereo upgrade...and I was very impressed. Nice job. Personally I don't want to go through that much rework. I was only looking for a simpler alternative. If there is none, then fine.

Jerry

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 10:03:53 AM »

Hardest thing about forums ... no inflection  :)

Probably just me that took it that way. Obviously I took it differently than it was meant. Anyway -

All of the options above are not too much work - just a matter of running power/ground and hooking up the speaker leads. Another option would be to get two (2) of the JL Audio XD-200/2 and mount one on each side of the fairing.

PM me your number and we can discuss. As always ... the BEST option for an individual is the one that balances budget with system goals. Unfortunately, I haven't done an acutal install on a Road Glide fairing but looking at the space avail (via pics) all of the above should go in with minimal effort.

I'm jealous of the room you have ....
TIF2

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 12:11:51 PM »

One modest cost alternative is to add HD's Tour Pak Bass Port kit with the dealer download to reprogram the amp to provide more bass. 

When you are considering amps, none will work the same as your OEM amp.  Specifically, the fader is controlled from the amp, not the HK head unit.  None of the aftermarket amps work this way; the fader is provided from the head unit.  With the wiring on the newer CVO Ultras, switching to a 4-channel amp requires some relatively simple rewiring inside the fairing to access the rear speaker pin-outs of the HK head unit that aren't used on the '10 or so newer CVO Ultras--they simply use the front speaker outputs; route that to the amp; and, the amp splits the audio signal for front and rear speakers.  To use an aftermarket 4-channel amp, you'll want to access the rear speaker pin-outs so the fader will work.

The OEM amp provides 40W per channel, 4-channel.  By comparison, the J&M 500W amp provides 125W per channel using 2 ohm (Rokker) speakers.

I suggest you talk to guys who have done audio projects that may interest you, or have a lot of experience with audio mods--starting a thread is fine; but, typing a comprehensive reply takes a lot of time--a phone call is a much easier way to convey information and better understand what you're after; your budget; and, your willingness to modify what's on your bike.

Good luck with your search.

Carl

Jerry/MD

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 12:22:44 PM »

Thanks for the replies...both of ya.

I realize the 'devil is in the details' and it would be extensive to describe here. Sounds like I need to swap phone numbers.

Jerry

Rio

• 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra Rio Ember/Black
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 01:58:37 PM »

Thanks for the replies...both of ya.

I realize the 'devil is in the details' and it would be extensive to describe here. Sounds like I need to swap phone numbers.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

I will follow this thread closely.  I love to veg and listen to music when I ride, this is a big deal for me.  Believe it or not, the 11 SERGU sound system is better on this bike than my 10 CUSE with Hawg Wired speakers.  I did the same as you with my last bike, replaced the speakers thinking that would make a difference and it didn't.  One reason is that the speakers and amp are matched for whatever HD thought was the best performance.  Putting a better speaker may require more power to drive them therefore you end up not getting what you expected as the benefit.  I was told or read that you have to remove the amp under the tour pack and mount a new amp whatever your choice next to the radio behind the fairing.  Then you had to rewire and or rig the rear speakers to get them to work using the radio and handlebar controls?  If theres a simpler way to make a dramatic difference, I'm all ears so I will be listening closely to this thread?
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

captdave

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 Black Diamond/Crimson SESG
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 10:16:07 AM »

Hmmmmm, was this a hard question?  :confused5:

C'mon Man!  :'(

Not a hard question, nor a hard answer.  But the install may be more than you expect or a "ton of BS" from your perspective.  I just swapped out my entire stereo system for a new one on my SESG.  It wasn't difficult (for me), but it was a lot of work.  Just a few things to keep in mind:

You will have to run at least 8-gauge power wire from the battery to your amp under the fairing.  That will mean accessing the backbone wire channel to lay the wire which will mean removing the gas tank.  Then you'll have to run the same size wire from the amp to ground (I found a ground on the frame just behind the fork tube...just make it a short a run as possible; preferrably less than 3 ft).  You should not use the stock speaker wire runs either.  Use new wire from amp to speakers to ensure discreet channels are run to each speaker.   It's possible you may already have this with the J&M speakers if they gave you a wire harness to the speakers...I don't know.

If you have the room under the fairing, I'd recommend the JL Audio XD400/4 if you have a 4-channel system.  Or you could just get J&M's amp to match with your speakers and follow their instructions for the install on your bike.  You should be able to retain AVC and handelbar controls without any modification if you choose to keep the stock HK radio unit.

Hope this helps...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 11:01:14 AM by captdave »

Rio

• 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 10:54:12 AM »

This would all be much simpler if HD or someone offered an amp unit that would swap out with the stock unit under the tour pack.  Seem's like it would be fairly simple stuff and you would think that someone would have come up with a harness that would play and plug in place of the current amp? 
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

captdave

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 11:11:49 AM »

This would all be much simpler if HD or someone offered an amp unit that would swap out with the stock unit under the tour pack.  Seem's like it would be fairly simple stuff and you would think that someone would have come up with a harness that would play and plug in place of the current amp? 

You'd think...but then again, this is the MoCo we're talking about, and I've learned they don't necessarily do things standard or as you might expect when it comes to wiring.  For example, on my SESG, I found that the lower speakers appear to be wired in parallel with the upper speaker (common +'s and grounds) on each side.  So in effect, you only still have a 2-channel system paying through 4 speakers.  I haven't seen the wiring diagram for the RG's front and rear speakers, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was the same setup.

Doesn't J&M offer their speaker/amp lit for the RG 4-speaker system?  If so, that might be the easiest way to go short of replacing the entire system including a new head unit.

Rio

• 1K CVO Member
  • Nick
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 11:39:57 AM »

You'd think...but then again, this is the MoCo we're talking about, and I've learned they don't necessarily do things standard or as you might expect when it comes to wiring.  For example, on my SESG, I found that the lower speakers appear to be wired in parallel with the upper speaker (common +'s and grounds) on each side.  So in effect, you only still have a 2-channel system paying through 4 speakers.  I haven't seen the wiring diagram for the RG's front and rear speakers, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was the same setup.

Doesn't J&M offer their speaker/amp lit for the RG 4-speaker system?  If so, that might be the easiest way to go short of replacing the entire system including a new head unit.

Where would you go to get that answer?  CVO's ultras are the only bikes with the amp mounte under the tourpack which is probably why no one has designed a plug and play replacement amp because of the limited quantity of sales?  I never owned a regular Ultra, but I would guess that the amp like all others are probably located next to or on top of the radio unit if in fact they even use an addtional amp outside the radio's internal system?
Full Sac X-Pipe,
Full Sac 2.25 cores
TTS Mastertune
Progressive Monotubes
Progressive 94 Shocks
Andrews 30t sprocket
Wind Splitter Windscreen

captdave

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 11:47:52 AM »

Where would you go to get that answer?  CVO's ultras are the only bikes with the amp mounte under the tourpack which is probably why no one has designed a plug and play replacement amp because of the limited quantity of sales?  I never owned a regular Ultra, but I would guess that the amp like all others are probably located next to or on top of the radio unit if in fact they even use an addtional amp outside the radio's internal system?

Maybe this is what you're looking for:  http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=JAMP-500HC06-RCR

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 11:48:44 AM »

You will have to run at least 8-gauge power wire from the battery to your amp under the fairing.  

Why do you feel 8ga minimum power wire is required?
Just curious ...
TIF2

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 11:52:54 AM »

Maybe this is what you're looking for:  http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail.asp?ProductID=JAMP-500HC06-RCR

That "kit" offers nothing over what an Arc Audio or JL Audio amp will provide. You still need to remove the stock amp under the tour-pak from the system.

The problem with the stock CVO Ultra amp is that it is integrated to the other functions of the bike. PTT, CB, fade control, rear pod volume .... all run to the stock amp. An aftermarket company would have to have intricate knowledge of the HK head unit and other functions in order to build a "plug and play" replacement amp.

I doubt H-D would ever share that info.

My .02 anyway
TIF2
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 24 queries.