Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 'Monster Garage' Host James to Pay Fine  (Read 1955 times)

Under My Wheels

• FLHRSEI.ORG
'Monster Garage' Host James to Pay Fine
« on: January 27, 2007, 05:24:32 PM »

LONG BEACH, Calif. (AP) -- "Monster Garage" reality show host Jesse James has agreed to pay $271,250 for violating California's air quality laws by selling motorcycles that did not meet the state's strict emissions standards, authorities said.

His Long Beach motorcycle building shop, West Coast Choppers, sold more than 50 new or custom-built motorcycles between 1998 and 2005 that were not certified by the Air Resources Board, the agency said in a statement Friday.

Attempts to reach James for comment Friday were unsuccessful. An employee who answered the phone at West Coast Choppers said the company would have no comment.

As part of a settlement, the shop is building motorcycles that comply with emission standards, the board said.

James is married to actress Sandra Bullock. His Discovery Channel series about customized vehicles aired for five seasons.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/P/PEOPLE_JESSE_JAMES?SITE=COLOV&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2007-01-27-03-46-27
2005 Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide: Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50, Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube LS 75W-140, Rinehart True Duals, SERT, Stage 1 Kit, Progressive 440's, 9" Clear Windshield, Highway Pegs, Hawg Wired Component Speakers and Amp, Flanders

SPIDERMAN

Re: 'Monster Garage' Host James to Pay Fine
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 07:10:15 PM »

Ouch - - - -  over $5,000 a bike. Man that's gotta hurt the bottom line when you figure he probably spent 1/2 that again on lawyers tryin to beat it. No, I'm not gonna feel sorry for Jesse's bank account, but this issue is relevant to anyone building custom bikes in the State of California. Guess the OCC bozo's won't be opening a dealership in CA anytime soon. hmmmmmmmm maybe CARB isn't so bad after all  ;D ;D

B B

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 10:29:56 PM »

Ouch - - - -  over $5,000 a bike. Man that's gotta hurt the bottom line when you figure he probably spent 1/2 that again on lawyers tryin to beat it. No, I'm not gonna feel sorry for Jesse's bank account, but this issue is relevant to anyone building custom bikes in the State of California. Guess the OCC bozo's won't be opening a dealership in CA anytime soon. hmmmmmmmm maybe CARB isn't so bad after all  ;D ;D

B B
Spyder,

Even thou the carb emissions are strictor the epa laws for penalty are the same for all states and they are all federal. The tampering law is 10k per event and that means 10,000$ each day the engine is not in complience. I'm not sure where the info is published but I believe the manufactures follow even a sticter guidline for penalties.

I haven't read about too many shops or manufactures getting fined yet, although I've read some HD shops in CA getting busted.

Actually looks like Jesse got off cheap, and they probably needed him with the big name to set an example.

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 06:40:45 PM »

It cost to be in the limelite,but the EPA need to look around there are bigger polluters than a bike shop in sunny CALI.. Our tax dollars at work.....

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 07:35:48 PM »

Well New York being New York, the OCC clan probably paid their " fine" upfront to some guy named Guido who's cousin's sister works at the New York State EPA.  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

B B

napalm

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 09:13:52 AM »

There are states with laws on the books that can cause problems eventually....I bought three HDs out of state and when I registered and titled them in Maryland I had to sign a form that stated that the bikes had stock exhaust sysytems and I would NOT modify the exhaust systems.  If caught I could loose my registration and title rights in Maryland.  Thank goodness, there is no enforcement at this time.

napalm
napalm

sooiee

• Senior CVO Member
    • NC
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 01:27:18 PM »

Just more popularity for JJ. 
Like it's going to bother him any. 
do you think he's now building them "EPA LEGAL".  Hardly.  So they'll be back next year and the year after that....and the wheels on the bus go round and round. 
That's Hollywood baby!
Remember.....Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a motorcycle.

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 24 queries.