Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Harley Wobble Suit Settled  (Read 9145 times)

Hobo

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: Harley Wobble Suit Settled
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 06:23:54 PM »

buy a road glide

I wish that was the anwser.I know for a fact that a SERG will get the wobble in the right situation.

Hobo
2001 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide (FLTRSEI2)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Harley Wobble Suit Settled
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 08:43:18 PM »

It probably really is the best advice.  I would guess that HD could successfully argue in court that no, their Electra Glide is not engineered for stability at speeds in excess of 100 mph through long sweeping turns.  Nor should it have to be.  I'm sure that the MoCo doesn't want to do that though, for marketing reasons.

Look at it this way:  If you (not you Pete, but anyone) drove a Cadillac Escalade 100 MPH through a long sweeping turn on a public highway and it got unstable, would you take it to the dealer and claim that something is wrong with it?  Or would you know that it wasn't intended for such performance?
There's a reason that no Electra Glides are competing in Moto Grand Prix and Superbike races.  Now those bikes are intended for high speed, long sweeping turns.  Completely different engineering.

Automotive customers not only bring their vehicles in with those kinds of complaints, lots of them also win lawsuits.  The logic goes something like this; if you make and sell a product that is capable of 130 mph, then you must assure that it will do so without unreasonable risk to life and limb. 

Electra Glides are definitely not racing bikes, but the fact is they are capable of speeds well in excess of those necessary to generate the "wobble".  Mine has done it at 80 in a long sweeper, and that is definitely a speed that fits into the normal category these days.  Hell, it's even legal in some states.  If the answer is to always ride at lower speeds, then I fail to see the need for larger and more powerful engines.  Perhaps the MoCo should bring back a 1979 era engine to go along with their 1979 era frame. :nixweiss:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 22 queries.