Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Harley-Davidson posts 4Q loss, first in 16 years  (Read 833 times)

flhse

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE
Harley-Davidson posts 4Q loss, first in 16 years
« on: January 22, 2010, 10:25:29 AM »

Associated Press
Milwaukee -- Harley-Davidson Inc. on Friday reported a fourth-quarter loss, its first quarterly deficit in 16 years, as restructuring costs and the sluggish economy wore on the motorcycle maker.

Harley-Davidson has spent the last year reorganizing its business to cope with falling demand of its high-end bikes. It has been laying off employees, closing factories and discontinuing or selling unwanted brands.

The company's results during the quarter ended Dec. 31 were worse than Wall Street was expecting. The company lost money -- its first three-month loss since 1993 -- even when accounting for only its continuing operations. It also lost money for the full year.

Shares fell $1.68, or 6.6 percent, to $23.90 in premarket trading.

Harley-Davidson said it lost $218.7 million, or 94 per share, during the fourth quarter. That contrasts to a profit of $77.8 million, or 34 cents per share, a year ago.

Its loss from continuing operations amounted to 63 cents per share.

Quarterly revenue tumbled 40 percent to $764.5 million from $1.28 billion a year ago.

Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters, whose results typically excluding one-time items, were expecting a loss of 32 cents per share on $764.4 million in revenue.

The company said it expects to take restructuring charges into 2012. All told, its restructuring efforts will cost $430 million to $460 million. For 2010 alone, the cost will be between $175 million and $195 million.

For all of 2009, Harley-Davidson lost $55.1 million, or 24 cents per share. It earned $654.7 million, or $2.79 per share, the previous year.

Yearly revenue fell by more than a fifth to $4.29 billion from $558 billion a year earlier.

nidan

• 1K CVO Member
  • Keep the breeze between your knees

• CVO1: 02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
Re: Harley-Davidson posts 4Q loss, first in 16 years
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 12:09:48 PM »

Perhaps they will finally wake up
CVO -'02 FWDWG3 Stage IV 95 -sold
'07 FLHX Stage II 103 95hp/111lbs ft
'09 FJR 1300- 145hp /99 lbs ft
2011 Mustang GT 412hp/390 lbs ft

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 12:16:28 PM »

No, how about beating a dead horse and do a few modifications and release another sportster. :confused5:

On another thread someone stated that they need to get intouch with the younger generation and I am sure the sportster is not it. From what I gather they want a custom cruiser or a cafe' style bike.  Not sure how they are gonna figure that one out?
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 02:52:57 PM »

I feel really sorry for the clueless executives at the MoCo who have managed to kill the golden goose.  They may actually have to live on a straight salary without the big bonus, at least until they can jump ship and find another company to drive into the ground.

While we can all hope that they use this as a wake-up call and start fixing their many issues, odds are they won't do anything more than crank up a few new marketing campaigns and offer a few more styling changes on the old pigs.  For instance, I'm sure the new Sportster bobber will have them rolling in the greenbacks in no time (yeah, right).  And don't forget, we may have a new paint scheme coming on a mid-year CVO model.  I'm sure that will put them back in the black (pun intended).  I plan to sleep through the trials and tribulations, so if anyone sees any real improvements please set off an alarm so I won't miss it.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 03:17:59 PM »

Well with the LAPD going to BMW's, along with a few other police agencies, sure don't help either!
The motor officers are a MUCH younger generation, and they have had a lot of input as to their
rides.

Myself, I probably would have bought 1 or 2 newer CVO's had they been WATERCOOLED!

I'm sorry, I am tired of having to modify a bike to make it run, and keep it cool!

When they listen, then I'll buy.  Just my 2 cents.
The "TAZMUN"

AZ SESG

• '17 SESG Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black -- '02 SERK Candy/Brandywine *Gone but not forgotten*
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Formerly AZ SERK

• CVO1: '02 FLHRSEI / Sold
    • CVO2: '17 FLHXSE
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 11:55:59 PM »

This was stated within the same report: "The company said 28 dealerships closed in 2009, and another 15 dealers could close in the next three months."

Here is a link:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/HarleyDavidson-posts-4Q-loss-apf-3371006582.html?x=0

Life is: Choices. Choose wisely.
"Ability + Commitment - Doubt = Reality"
IBA #42159

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 25 queries.