Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Jersey lifts ban on Sunday motorcycle sales  (Read 2611 times)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

duranh

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE
    • Random photos
Re: New Jersey lifts ban on Sunday motorcycle sales
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 11:52:17 AM »

I don't know what to say, I have heard of blue laws for booze but I did not know that there was such a thing for car and motorcycle sales. I guess it takes a while to come out of the dark ages.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 12:47:26 PM »

Maybe they think with a motorcycle you might over indulge. ;D
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 02:10:28 PM »

That is a bizare law... :nixweiss:

But, I discovered when I was up in Pennsylvania for a couple of weeks several years ago that you can't buy beer in grocery stores...and I thought Alabama had some odd laws... ::)
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 01:13:00 AM »

In New Jersey you can only buy beer and liquor in a liquor store.

No Bud and coffee at your local 7-11 here
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 01:41:00 AM »

They are all going straight to hell.

DDavidson

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 02:38:14 AM »

Blue Laws! At least this is a logical Democratic law and not some crazy Sharia type law. :nixweiss: Glad I live in America where I am free.  :soapbox:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 02:56:47 AM by D31960 »
Semper Fi
Get your "Motor Running Head", out on the highway!

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it... well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men

charlie

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 07:34:19 AM »

I am from NJ and have been away for 19 years now and never new you could not  buy or sell motorcycles on Sunday, that's ridiculous. (thanks to spell check I can spell ridiculous)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 08:42:46 AM »

I can remember (vaguely) living in Virginia in the 70's before they eased some of the many blue law restrictions, and there was a lot more than just motorcycles that you couldn't buy on Sunday.  The way I remember it,there wasn't much other than gas stations, drug stores, and eateries open on Sundays.  And once I got used to it, it wasn't a big deal.  

Instant gratification doesn't have to be that instant, if you know what I mean.  If someone wants to buy a car or a motorcycle, hopefully they can plan ahead slightly and figure out how to do that on one of the other six days of the week.  It's never been a problem for me, and even car and bike salesmen deserve a day off.  In other words, I don't see any big deal here.  

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 09:19:02 AM »

That is a bizare law... :nixweiss:

But, I discovered when I was up in Pennsylvania for a couple of weeks several years ago that you can't buy beer in grocery stores...and I thought Alabama had some odd laws... ::)
We do
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 01:56:51 PM »

We do

No doubt about that.  But, the Blue Laws here are slowly but surely dropping away, particularly the whole thing about not being able to get a beer on Sundays in certain areas, unless you join the eaterie's "club" for $2...then it's OK for the place to sell you a beer with your Taco.  There are still "dry counties" here, and the people in those counties want it that way...or at least the ones who vote...my only issue with that is that those county governments still get tax money from the sale of booze in the other counties, because it's all controlled by the state here, and the state is going to get their "sin taxes".  Hell, they even tax food here.  One of the most regressive tax structures in the whole country.  If you want to be dry...fine...but no tax revenue should go to your county from "sin tax".  They'd be singing from a different hymm book if that was the case....  On top of all that, the people who really want to buy booze on Sunday just drive down the road a few miles to the next county, get what they want, and bring it back home...or plan ahead on Saturday.   :soapbox:

Though it's not illegal to sell a car or bike here on Sunday, most car dealerships are closed, which is a good thing for the employees, as they at least get one weekend day off with their families.  But, both HD dealerships here in B'ham are open for business on Sunday.

The whole thing is just silly to me...let people buy whatever they want, wherever they want, whenever they want, and leave it up to the owner of the business as to what days of the week they want to be open or closed.  Then people can adapt accordingly.  Pitts off... ;)
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

ALRG8TOR

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXDFSE granite denim & electric blue fade
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 03:12:10 PM »

In this area the car dealers are closed on Sundays, but the MC dealers are open about 1/2 day.

I viewed, tested, purchased  :deal2:, and drove my bike home all on the same Sunday. Glad they were open. :2vrolijk_20:

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2011, 04:20:18 PM »

In Pennsylvania you cannot buy a car or any licensed motor vehicle on Sundays.

That was a throwback to the old blue laws, but it is NADA that keeps Sunday sales from happening.

The National Association of Automobile Dealers is a strong lobby and many dealers do not want to invest any more man hours to open on Sundays.

As soon as one dealer does it then everyone jumps in.

Car and motorcycle dealers can operate on Sundays now, they just cannot sell vehicles.

No Beer sales (cases) on Sundays,

Liquor sales on Sundays is a relative new thing in the state and only by state stores (liquor and wine)

they are experimenting with some beer sales in limited grocery stores now. (distributors can only sell cases full not mixed)

Delis/stores cannot sell cases but only six packs and singles.

Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 08:22:29 PM »

Colorado has a law against any motor vehicle sale on Sunday. About half of the Harley stores are open on Sunday but they can not talk prices or sale bikes. They are only open for service and accessories and clothing sales. My wife likes the law since she sales GMC trucks. And is able to ride one day out of the weekend. I personally think that that law is STUPID. What does it matter if someone wants to buy a bike on Sunday??

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 22 queries.