Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: What's the Biggest Evo?  (Read 15402 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
What's the Biggest Evo?
« on: April 26, 2007, 05:03:16 PM »

Hey gang! If you followed my thread on my timing hole problem, you'll already know there's a chance I have to pull the motor, and split the cases on my '85 FXWG. This is a Factory 4-speed with an Evo motor. If I need to do this, I'll probably get a new motor. The $64K question; what is the largest Evo engine that can fit in a stock '85 4-speed swingarm frame? I don't want too tall of a leg in it, like the early S&S 103's. Nowadays, the make bigger bore Evo's. 10 years ago, all you could get was 3-3/4" Barels, so you'd use a tall leg to get displacement. They make much bigger bore Evo's now, but most modern frames have more room than a stock '85 4-speed frame. A 113 or 117 would be nice in that bike!

So again, based on the above, does anyone know the largest Evo motor to fit this bike?

Take off your TC hats and try to remember way back to the Evo days. Anyone have any answers on this?

Thanks gang! Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
Re: What's the Biggest Evo?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 06:09:21 PM »

Hoist

Go to the JimsUSA site and check out the 120 to fit in an EVO frame!

www.jimsusa.com

This is not what you asked for but it's a great option!

S
  /
    B

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 06:51:38 PM »

Hoist

Go to the JimsUSA site and check out the 120 to fit in an EVO frame!

www.jimsusa.com

This is not what you asked for but it's a great option!

S
  /
    B

The bike is an '85. This style engine won't mount to my frame properly. I'm thinking S&S has something. Chances are, if we can't get the case tapped, I'll put the stroker motor from my Pro Street into it for now. Still interested in what my new engine options are. Thanks anyway Chip. Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 08:06:15 PM »

why cant the jims motor fit in your frame?? your frame was built for an evo,right?
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide
1962 panhead rigid/chopper

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 08:52:25 PM »

Just an option here, why not a Fatso motor? Evo bottom, Twin Cam top end. OR the Twin Cam that bolts in an Evo frame!

As for the timing plug why not over bore it and build a new plug?
Weld the cases back up and tap a standard size hole in it?
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 09:20:47 PM »

why cant the jims motor fit in your frame?? your frame was built for an evo,right?

The 4- speed Evo frame is extermely tight. I don't know if the width with larger barrels, or height with a stroker will allow changing dimensions very much. I was hoping someone would know what fits and what doesn't. I will not need it as of now, but I'd still like to know that for future reference. But we fixed the hole!!! Hoist! 8)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 09:25:27 PM »

Just an option here, why not a Fatso motor? Evo bottom, Twin Cam top end. OR the Twin Cam that bolts in an Evo frame!

As for the timing plug why not over bore it and build a new plug?
Weld the cases back up and tap a standard size hole in it?

Those are some engine options to explore. And we could have easily fixed it by pulling the motor and splitting the cases. But my buddy Vern got creative and retapped it with the engine and primary still fully assembled. I described what he did here. http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=12876.msg202680#msg202680 Well Chit does happen and creative people work around it. Uncreative people just pay!!! ;) Hoist! 8)

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 04:08:27 PM »

I thought the S&S 145 was the largest Evo style Motor, but there's companies out there that will build you whatever you can afford to pay for

B B

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 11:22:16 PM »

Here is my FXR with a S&S 124.
In my 15 year journey to eliminate stock HD parts, i am now down to only the frame.  Just put the Storz front end on.

best

Free

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 11:37:44 PM »

In my 15 year journey to eliminate stock HD parts, i am now down to only the frame.  Just put the Storz front end on.

best

Free

That thing looks awesome Free! :2vrolijk_21: It must really Rock and Roll too! ;) Hoist! 8)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2007, 11:51:09 PM »

best

Free
That is sweet. :2vrolijk_21: I can only imagine how much fun it is to twist that throttle. :vrolijk27:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 12:00:28 AM »

dOOd - it is a blast to ride.  engine is broken in so going to get it Dynoed soon (just for chits and giggles).

Its a nice alternative to the super heavy and bulky CUSE.

Free

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 08:15:36 PM »

best

Free

Absolutely gorgeous ride. Thanks for sharing. One question ? Aren't those side covers stock ?

B B

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 10:58:40 PM »

Absolutely gorgeous ride. Thanks for sharing. One question ? Aren't those side covers stock ?

B B

BB - well you got me there.  I guess there are a few things stock remaining!

Free

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2007, 11:17:29 PM »

Actually, while we are on the topic, i have a question for the experienced members of the Board

Would you suggest that i register the bike at the DMV for the new engine serial number. My engine number on my title of course now doesn't match the new engine.
when i first got the engine, i called the DMV and they suggested that i should re-register the bike and that i may need to have the CHP (california highway patrol) check the bike for "emmissions".  I never followed through.  What is my risk if i dont follow through? Is there a risk that the S&S engine does not pass emissions in california? Are the CHP going to bust my balls?  Anyway, i have been putting this off because of the fear of the unknown but figured i would see if anyone else has dealt with this. 

Free
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.212 seconds with 21 queries.