Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: $290,000 Speeding Fine !  (Read 4437 times)

hornhonker

2010 Ultra Limited SE110ci
90 Honda ST1100

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Re: $290,000 Speeding Fine !
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 07:37:16 AM »

OUCH!!!!
Bill

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 07:44:46 AM »

It's based on your ability to pay.  The more you're worth, the higher the ticket.  Seems a bit discriminatory, but then that's the way our tax system works so go figure.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 03:29:36 PM »

Holy Crap
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 08:42:15 PM »

It's based on your ability to pay.  The more you're worth, the higher the ticket.  Seems a bit discriminatory, but then that's the way our tax system works so go figure.

Sounds like a very fair system to me.  The original purpose of fines and penalties was to discourage illegal behavior, but the standard diddly-squat fines in most areas don't provide much of a disincentive for those folks with more money than brains.  For instance, I seriously doubt those "celebrities" destroying speed limits in their Ferrari's or Lamborghini's are worried about a $200 fine if they get caught.  However, maybe if the fine for doubling the speed limit involved a $200,000 fine and having the car seized, there would be enough at stake to slow a few of them down and maybe save an innocent life or two.

I know it's not a popular opinion on this site, but having money doesn't mean one has an inalienable right to do as they please without regard for the rest of us peons.  Especially after the events of the past few years, I'm very happy every time I see some self-absorbed rich dude get their comeuppance.  For instance, I would love to see Bernie Maddof have a lot of company in his new home.  I guess if you target mostly very rich (and greedy) folks and eventually get caught, you spend the rest of your life in prison.  But if you target the poor and middle class, you don't even go to trial.  Yeah, sounds fair to me.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 07:38:11 AM »

Do you think you should pay more for a gallon of gas than somebody who makes less than you do?  Or maybe we should let people who declare bankruptcy have carte blanch as far as fines go?  It's their ability to pay that sets the rate, right?  Hey, you've got a nice fancy motorcycle that is a luxury that you choose to own, how about you pay a few thousand on top of what you do now - because you can.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 08:49:28 AM »

What I think is, having money doesn't give you the right to avoid those laws and regulations that you can afford to blow off.  Poor people can't speed without facing severe (to them) economic penalties, but rich folks can pick and choose the laws they want to obey because they have plenty of money to pay the penalties (and buy influence with the authorities)?  Why don't we just write the rules that way instead of being hypocrites and pretending the law is fair to all?  Speed limits based on net worth could be the start; poor folks restricted to the slow lanes and 45 mph, middle class folks restricted to the slow and center lanes at 55 mph, and the rich dudes get the express lanes at whatever speed they want.  Poor folks wandering into the rich folks lanes will be pulled over, their ratty vehicles impounded, and the driver thrown in jail.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 09:30:36 AM »

What I think is, having money doesn't give you the right to avoid those laws and regulations that you can afford to blow off.  Poor people can't speed without facing severe (to them) economic penalties, but rich folks can pick and choose the laws they want to obey because they have plenty of money to pay the penalties (and buy influence with the authorities)?  Why don't we just write the rules that way instead of being hypocrites and pretending the law is fair to all?  Speed limits based on net worth could be the start; poor folks restricted to the slow lanes and 45 mph, middle class folks restricted to the slow and center lanes at 55 mph, and the rich dudes get the express lanes at whatever speed they want.  Poor folks wandering into the rich folks lanes will be pulled over, their ratty vehicles impounded, and the driver thrown in jail.

Jerry

Sounds like Communism  :nixweiss:
2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 03:22:32 PM »

Sounds like Communism  :nixweiss:

Communism, Obama Fascism, whatever you want to call it.  Let each pay according to his ability.  Why not just equal everything out?  You obviously make more than you need to survive, and what the hell do you need a motorcycle plaything for - your entertainment?  You probably have a better house than many people, and heating it costs a lot smaller percentage of your income than it does for somebody who makes less.  Why should you be allowed to be warm just because it doesn't have as much economic impact on you?  Why should you be allowed to have or do anything just because you have more money?  Not so nice a scenario when it gets personal, eh?  I choose not to live in that world.

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 03:31:49 PM »

I think that line will split down the middle of the people who have worked hard all there lives and the ones who think because they were born in the USA that the government owes them something! Where did this since of entitlement come from anyway? Jesse Jackson? It seems allot of younger people I meet today have it! just sayin!

I served in the military starting at age 17, went to college and worked then worked hard for the last 29 years! I will be dammed if I will share anything but the hot end of my bullets with anyone who sits on there ass all day saying where mine?
2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 04:29:49 PM »

Why don't we just write the rules that way instead of being hypocrites and pretending the law is fair to all?  Speed limits based on net worth could be the start; poor folks restricted to the slow lanes and 45 mph, middle class folks restricted to the slow and center lanes at 55 mph, and the rich dudes get the express lanes at whatever speed they want.  Poor folks wandering into the rich folks lanes will be pulled over, their ratty vehicles impounded, and the driver thrown in jail.

Jerry

Just when I thought I had seen it all!  No doubt, Jerry, I've never agreed on your sociopolitical posts, but can support you whole heartedly on this one.  Just add one more category for the current government whacko's to drive in the breakdown lane and your idea will be just the ticket (no pun intended).   ;D

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 04:50:05 PM »

Conviently glossing over my entire point won't change the facts.  This isn't about folks with more money being able to have more toys, or better heating systems in their homes, or any of that other BS.  It's about making laws that impact all violators equally, and charging the same $100 fine to a poor person and a wealthy person does not result in equal impact or incentive to obey the law.  Of course, I assume you guys would also prefer to maintain the status quo when we talk about more serious crimes.  Rich guys can afford Johnny Cochran and a 20 lawyer team to get them off even when they are obviously guilty, but the poor guy gets a rookie straight out of law school with no money for investigators, jury experts, etc., and winds up going to prison even if innocent (just read the news, plenty of poor folks are being proved innocent after spending decades in prison for crimes they didn't commit).

Life sure is tough for rich folks.  All I hear is bitching about how the poor don't have to pay taxes, they get too many government benefits, they just lay around and mooch off the rich, etc.   Here's my suggestion for all the well-to-do folks who think the poor have it so good: give away all your worldly possessions and become one of them.  After a year or so, come back and give us a report on how that's working out for you.  Or, perhaps you would rather just be grateful for what you have and quit trying to blame the less fortunate for your unhappiness.   :nixweiss:

JMHO  -  Jerry

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 05:12:04 PM »

Ooooop's ..... thought it was too good to be true.  Nope, I'll not be giving anything away to anyone other than my family or friends who are in need.  Worked way to hard and long.  No, I don't want the government helping me "redistribute" my holdings either.  I'm much better at managing it than they are.  After all, I don't have a trillion dollar deficit, they do.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 05:34:27 PM »

Well youze can argue out the communistic way to meter these things. If you want to base it on something that different groups will pay, then base on the freakin ABILITY TO DRIVE in the first place! Way too many freakin people on the roads now that don't belong there. And MANY don't even belong in the damn country at all! Make us take REAL driving tests and really prove we're CITIZENS, instead of these BS ones that lets every moron under the sun drive! Those that drive worst, pay most! There, how's that?!!! Hmmm....still communistic? If you don't like our democratic system, being that's it's supposed to be fair for ALL, then MOVE to CHINA!!! :P

Hoist! :coolblue:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 06:09:29 PM by Hoist! »
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 01:04:41 PM »

My final words on it since it's useless trying to argue with liberals: If you don't want to pay a fine - don't commit the crime. 

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 21 queries.