Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Zumo 665 on an 09 SERG  (Read 929 times)

1 Orange Eagle

• 09 SERG
Zumo 665 on an 09 SERG
« on: January 23, 2011, 02:48:27 PM »

I'm following the posts about installing an audio jack from the back of the HK system for "hard wiring" GPS etc, (and liking it).  It's going onto my 09 SERG, and I want to listen to the XM radio through my speakers.
Question:If  I purchase the "Y" harness & Nim module from HD (HD #s76000016   76000022    76000024) is there not an audio output in the harness?  If so, does the need to cut the trace solder also disappear?
This is uncharted territory in my neck of the woods, and the dealer hasn't come across it yet.
Any help before I start ?? 

Envithyx

• Senior CVO Member
  • "Summer Rain" 07/24/1963 - 07/07/2010

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 - Cherry Red w/ Flames and Glass Eyed Skulls
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHTK - Cherry Red Sunglo / Merlot Sunglo w/ Flamin' Eagle Theme
Re: Zumo 665 on an 09 SERG
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 03:05:19 PM »

While I can't attest to any unique issues that your install will bring, I can comment on a few things that will probably still hold true for you.

1. The NIM module listens for a signal from the Road Tech only version of the Zumo to determine when to inject it's audio stream into the radio via the bluetooth phone channel.  (Seems in some bikes, this is done via the comm channel - e.g. the RG but I can't confirm 100%).  This audio is mono by nature and is intended only for the voice navigation prompts to interupt any audio source.

2. To continue to get stereo audio from the 665 like XM, MP3, etc... you will need to run the audio output from the gps harness to the aux input on your stereo.  If you chose to modify your radio to add the aux input in the rear, you will still need to either plug the aux line with a dummy plug or sever the trace (confirm before modifying your equipment) so that the aux line is selectable.

3. Since the NIM listens to the audio stream for a signal, it can at times interpret music signals as the interruption signal and switch from a nice stereo stream to mono and then back.  Not so bad if your listening to the 665; however, if you are listening to XM and then switch to say CD and forget to pause XM, this can cause it to switch to a mono xm stream for an undetermined duration.  Moco's official response is to mute the GPS music when not listening to it.  Otherwise, bugs and all, it still is nicer to have nav prompts when listening to a source other than the 665.

4. If you have an amp wired to the tourpack, the NIM may cause a ground loop and will require a ground loop isolator to reduce the unacceptable noise level it introduces into the aux line.  The radio shack variety worked fine in my case.

Good luck, all bugs aside, still better than nothing.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 03:24:25 PM by Envithyx »
2009 FXSTSSE3
Custom Paint/Wild 1 Chubby Drag Bars/V&H 2-1 Big Radius/ThunderMax

2011 FLHTK
Custom Paint/Wild 1 Bagger Bars
V&H Duals w/ M. Ovals, Ness AC, PC-V Auto Tune and SEPST Base Tune
V&H ThrottlePak
SE Pro Stage III - 10.5:1, SE259E
HD Mirrors w/ LED Aux Running
HD LED Lighting: 7" w/ Bezel Trim, 4" Aux, Turn Sigs (Smk Frnt, Red Rear), Tail Light (Chrome), Fenders (Smk Frnt, Red Rear w/Brake)
Zumo 665 - Fairing Mnt - NIM
Boom Audio Spks, Amp, Bass Booster
Chromed Out

1 Orange Eagle

• 09 SERG
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 03:37:57 PM »

That's what I thought...but didn't know.
Will post when all the smoke clears!
Thx.

16HD117

• When I was fifteen I wanted to be older. This is not what I expected!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • AKA 04hd103,AKA 07hd110,AKA 11hd110,AKA 16hd110
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 11:27:08 AM »

Don't know if it's true, but I heard that the Zumo model GPS's will not work with the NIM.  Only Road Tech.
 :nixweiss:

Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting Holy Chit......... What a Ride!

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 21 queries.