Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best bluetooth phone for the Garmin 2820  (Read 2918 times)

ido911s

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Best bluetooth phone for the Garmin 2820
« on: July 18, 2006, 08:42:36 PM »

What bluetooth phone works best with the Garmin 2820? I am currently with Sprint but my cellular phone contract is due for renewal so I could switch to any of the major carriers if Sprint doesn't offer a viable alternative. I like the looks of the razor but would like to hear if anyone is really pleased with a particular phone or service company.
Thanks,
Steve O
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 08:43:58 PM by ido911s »

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Best bluetooth phone for the Garmin 2820
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 11:07:37 AM »

Steve,  I haven't used Sprint, so can't talk about how good/not good they are.  I did use Cingular for years and years, and finally got fed up with dropped calls in certain areas I travel through to and from work.  Soooo, I switched to Verizon about a year ago and have been totally happy with them...rarely a dropped call any more.  Overall, I'm 100% more pleased than I ever was with Cingular.  The thing to check for if you change companies is whether the phone is compatible with the bluetooth in the 2820...I think most of the major brands are.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 06:18:25 PM »

ditto on Verizon
check the bluetooth version of the garmin and buy only cell phones supporting that version or standard.  most should work  
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 12:01:10 PM »

Ditto from me on Verizon...  great coverage, same sucky customer service as everyone else, so still a plus...

Difference on the phone/compatability issue.  I have a Motorola E8xx, which Garmin does not list, which also works perfectly with my 2820...   I think the best bet would be to experiment and see what you like VS what will actually hook up with the GPS...
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 12:17:09 PM »

Haven't even tried to pair mine yet...it's an LG8000, so it should pair fine.  Are you using a headset, or how are you using the 2820 bluetooth capability on your bike?  I was basically just going to pair, then I would at least know that I got a call, decide if I wanted to talk to that individual, and if so, pull over and use the phone...more as a notification function rather than trying to yap going down the road.

You mentioned that you had tried the MP3 functions...how many tunes can you store?
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

ido911s

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 01:53:34 PM »

I loaded about the equivalent of 2 albums or about 24 songs and I checked the remaining storage and it said I was about 2/3 full already. That's a far cry from my iPod capacity. I guess they only expect you to use the mp3 function like you would a CD changer say 3-4 albums. As for the phone I was going to install the bluetooth helmet headset from Scala and let the phone calls come through the Garmin screen for dialing etc. I have tried the 2820 in my car and it works great. I am still waiting for backordered mounting brackets to actually put it on the bike though.
Steve

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 03:25:39 PM »

Hey Ido...   I have a spare Garmin mount and motorcycle harness (still in the box)...   wink wink, anybody need one?
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room

ido911s

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 04:31:16 PM »

Hey Coolbreeze,
Thanks for the offer but I have those pieces, I'm just waiting for my Tech Mount stuff to copmplete this jig saw puzzle. I love the way the 2820 works in my car sitting on the bean bag mount. I am looking forward to putting it on the bike.
Steve

icybay

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: (2) 2004 SEEG B&B's ECoast & WCoast
    • CVO2: 2000 FLTRSEI B/O/W
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 10:01:12 PM »

My Treo 650 Bluetooth connected right up to the 2820, works great on the highway, calls come right over the speakers thru the aux jack.  Haven't tried the mic while underway yet, probably is a bit sketchy.

I have a 6000 minute anytime/anywhere  plan from Sprint for 175.00 with no roaming for another 5.00 (great deal) and unlimited night and weekends for another 5.00. I also have free calling to Canada and Mexico for 7.00.  Free Sprint to Sprint.  Its got greatr coverage almost everywhere except Alaska, where Cingular (Old AT&T network) is cheaper..

bounty

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2006, 11:27:26 PM »

I would be interested in learning how one could hook up the phone functions of the 2820 while using the H-D CB/intercom microphone headset.  So far it sounds like one will have to route the external microphone provided with the 2820 to your helmet in addition to the intercom headset.  The only other alternative, which would be redundant, would be to install the H-D bluetooth adapter.  Are there any other ideas?
2006 FLHTCUSE Haze
D&D Fat Cats w/ghost
Doherty Machine Powerpac
Thundermax EFI

ace4059

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2006, 02:18:17 PM »

Beware that just because a particular phone model is supposed to be completely compatible w/ your GPS doesn't mean that it will be. A friend had a RAZR which fuctioned fine w/ the factory navigation system in my SUV. So I went out and bought a new RAZR phone. As it turns out, some of the functions of the bluetooth wouldn't work w/ my RAZR like it did on his RAZR. Turns out the difference is w/ the cellular carriers (I have US Cellular and I think he had Sprint). After several calls to Motorola tech support, I was told that some carriers don't activate certain features of the phone!!!??? So check it out before you commit to a contract w/ a carrier.
There are no traffic jams along the extra mile.- Roger Staubach.

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 04:07:24 PM »

I have the Motorola bluetooth headset hooked up to my phone... and the phone hooked to the GPS, so I here the phone call through the speakers, but the mic function is dodgy at best.  (could it be the wind?)  I use it mostly to screen the calls when they come in to see if it's worth pulling over to call back.  I suppose I could use the text function to respond, but....   oh yea, that story would belong in the "RIder Down" section...   :o  
It's also real handy for calling ahead to make reservations at POI's that are listed with the auto call function...  but only while stopped due to the wind noise/microphone issue.  
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.