Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another bad radio  (Read 2001 times)

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
Another bad radio
« on: November 13, 2006, 06:15:38 PM »

Earlier this year I had the radio display go completely out on my '06 USE.  It was replaced with a new radio.  A few weeks ago my new radio started screwing up on me.  The volume will  suddenly fluctuate from about 2 to 8 on a scale of 10.   It goes up and down very suddenly as though a switch was being turned on an off.  I took it to the dealer in early October when I had them install an automatic primary chain tensioner.  Nothing was done.  After a couple of weeks I called the service department manager and told him I still have the same problem.  He said he was studying a DVD from Harley about the stereo and would return a call.  That was almost a month ago.  -Just reporting the failure and letting you know of my experience.  -Steve
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Another bad radio
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 06:47:08 PM »

Steve, not speaking to whether your problem might or might not be something corrected by software if your dealer is making you wait on some new software to install that is something you can do easily yourself.  Check out this link:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/cp/moar/en/overview.asp

It's the Advanced Audio site.  Top right on the home page is a button that will start you the process of getting instructions on how to update the software in your radio and how to download said software.  It's like a 10 or 15 minute chore from beginning of download to end of upload in to radio if you want to mess with it.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 07:18:30 PM »

Steve, not speaking to whether your problem might or might not be something corrected by software if your dealer is making you wait on some new software to install that is something you can do easily yourself.

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 07:26:00 PM »

Don

They tried that upload today on the Frontier.
DAMN! didn't work.
The service manager is telling me that the early 07 radio's has problems.
The upload was suppose to fix that or else a new radio was in order.
TMCC is overnighting one to Charlotte for delivery Tuesday.
The upload seemed like a good idea,,, if it worked :(

That sucks.  One of the benefits of the HK radio is it's flexibility and correctability via software (too bad it couldn't just be "right" to begin with though  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] ).  So a batch of bad units in early 07 model production?  Well hell, at least the radio is a quick and easy swap so you're not down much.

I've been real fortunate with mine.  The 06 radio that got installed in to the red bike has always (knock on hard wood) performed flawlessly.  Accepts software updates without issue.  Even devloped a bunch of quirky problems with a very buggy software update a couple months ago that was apparently released before it was ready for prime time.  The unit just as happily reloaded the software revision that was one revision older and began working flawlessly again.

Good luck on the new radio being a final fix and not just a replacement that later needs to be replaced again.  I never noticed on your bike at MV.  Is it configured with the Harmon Kardon radio only?  Or does the bike also have any of the XM, CB or other "Advanced Audio" bells and whistles on board?

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 10:21:06 AM »

Steve & Silver,
I don't know if this has been tried, but when my CB on my 07 started acting weird at Maggie Valley, we went to Lummus HD where they "reset" ?? the radio. They did NOT do an upgrade, as I know what I had at the time.  Since, I've had not one single reoccurance of the CB (or anything else) screwing up.  If I had to guess, some of these need either a soft or a hard reset like the basic computers of years ago.  Have either of your dealers tried this?
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 04:41:51 PM »

Thanks for your responses Twolanerider and Arcticdude.  I guess I'm just going to wait 'til spring to get my problem fixed.  I think I'll let the dealer handle it though.  I installed the Doherty Mystfree kit myself, and think I probably screwed up not to just take the bike to the dealer.  If my breather is over misting, I don't think they'll cover it because I did some work myself.  At least you guys have given me some options, and I really appreciate that.  
  I'm still trying to decide whether to keep this bike or wait and see what they have for '08.  If I keep it I'm at least going to add the gear drive Zippers "bolt-in" cams.  I'm kind of watching how the '07s are working out.  
  Thanks again!   :)  -Steve
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 21 queries.