Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: tire change time  (Read 3237 times)

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
tire change time
« on: November 04, 2018, 11:30:26 AM »

okay, I've done some searching, but have not found a definitive answer to my concern.  so hoping for some guidance.

i'm getting ready to change tires on my 2013 again.  now, in my area, there is only one indy in my area to take my wheels to but it costs about $100 for the change/balance.

i'm considering getting the cycle hill tire changer on black Friday special (assuming they do it again this year) but in looking at the no mar website, they don't recommend that unit for 'heavy' cruisers.  I can get away with $400 but the heavier duty unit is in the $600 range.

so my question is, has anyone used the cycle hill changer on the stock cvo tires, 180/55-18 rear, 130/60-19 front, and found it to be doable?  or was it a bigger hassle than it's worth?  going to my local hd shop, it's over $700 to replace a set of tires, plus it takes all day.  or I can order the tires on the net for about $300 and do it on my time...
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Re: tire change time
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 12:51:46 AM »

That cycle hill looks like it'll do the job, I'm going to be in the market for one my self.
You mentioned doing it yourself that in my humble opinion would be the way  to go if you have the means.
If you do have a shop do it for you,....be sure to do a complete check over for any damage to wheels and bike if they are removing them also check your belt tension and belt alignment in the sprocket if they're not correct It will shorten the belt and sprocket life.
 It seems now a days shops can't be trusted. Just a bit of heads up. Good luck,  let us know how it turns out.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 12:53:26 AM by longlast »

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 07:30:21 AM »

I guess I'm lucky. I have a local guy who changes my tires for $100. I order them online and have them shipped to his shop...
Bill

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 08:08:16 AM »

Newer HD touring bike tires have stiffer sidewalls.  Much stiffer, makes them more difficult to mount manually.  Suggest getting the heavy duty version of whatever changer you are looking for. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

CJ CYCLE

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE CVO ROAD GLIDE
    • CJ CYCLE
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 02:09:59 PM »

:soapbox:

Do you balance your own tires?  Change stems when put on new tires?  Do you know how to adjust your belt tension?  Do you know torque values for brake calipers & wheel axle?  Do you know how to recognize when bearings should be replaced in your wheels?  Do you check brake pads and know what to look for?  So the shop rate time for a 2004 & up touring bike is 1 hour for rear tire & 0.8 for front tire. 

So to do both would be 1.8 hours X the shops labor rate.  I am willing to bet, that know one can do a complete tire (both tires) on their Harley touring bike in 1.8 hours in their garage.  At my shop it would be $171 for both tires.  My shop gets about $103 of that after I pay the tech (I have one working in my shop + myself)  After expenses, there is about $20 left.  Wow, that seems like you are paying a lot, but for your local shops to survive, they have to charge for work performed on your bikes.  If they don't charge for their work, they aren't going to stay in business very long, or they are not a legitimate shop that has a business license, Garage Keepers insurance or liability insurance, and don't pay taxes so that the local county and state road crews can repair the roads so that you don't hit a pot hole & destroy your new tires.  I am fortunate my wife has a job with as little profit my shop makes per job, it helps to put food on the table.  Business is seasonal, and is cyclical.  Shops don't have a steady income.   

At an independent shop like mine, I then pay my tech 45% of the labor and the shop gets the rest.  I pay insurance, overhead costs, and misc. parts, and purchased the tire changer & wheel balancer at around $4000.  Then I pay software costs, electric bill, heat bill, advertising costs, upkeep on equipment,  chemicals for cleaning, anti-seize for axle, I purchased 2 lifts for my shop that cost about $1800 a piece. etc, etc.  Not to mention B&O taxes & excise tax to the state. 

It really irks me that so many people think that shops charge too much to install tires.   The economy is suppose to be getting better, wages increased, etc.  I have not changed my shop labor rate for 3 yrs.  I guess it is time to raise my shop labor rate to keep up with costs. 

If you can't pay, don't play!  Don't complain that shops charge too much.  You can buy a $45,000 CVO, but you can't afford $177 to have your tires changed?  Just do it yourself if you can't afford it, and quit putting down the shops because they charge too much.  Do you want them around when you really need their help?  Well, quit bitching then!       
CHOPS

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 06:18:05 PM »

It really irks me that so many people think that shops charge too much to install tires.   The economy is suppose to be getting better, wages increased, etc.  I have not changed my shop labor rate for 3 yrs.  I guess it is time to raise my shop labor rate to keep up with costs. 

If you can't pay, don't play!  Don't complain that shops charge too much.  You can buy a $45,000 CVO, but you can't afford $177 to have your tires changed?  Just do it yourself if you can't afford it, and quit putting down the shops because they charge too much.  Do you want them around when you really need their help?  Well, quit bitching then!       

i really hope that this wasn't directed at me.  if so, let me alleviate some of your concerns.  first off, my cvo didn't cost $45,000.  i bought it 6 years ago, right about $30,000.  secondly, this economy that is getting better.  where?  i've not had a decent raise in almost 10 years.  and what little 'cola' that i do get is quickly eaten up by increased fuel costs, insurance costs, etc.  my actual spending power has actually declined every year since i retired from the military.  thirdly, while the one indy in my area does charge around $100 to mount and balance, my biggest gripe is not with the cost, but with the time involved.  getting new rubber on my bike usually becomes an all day event, with a bit of driving and waiting involved.  no where did i put down the shop for charging what they charge.  i understand that he needs to make a living too.  my observation on his price was just one of the factors involved in making the decision.

now to answer your questions, i do know how to balance my tires/wheels.  yes, i would put on new stems, yes i know how to adjust belt tension, i don't know the torque values right off the top of my head, but i do have a manual and know how to look them up.  yes, i know how to tell when a bearing is bad, yes, i check brake pads (do this every 5k service, not just when changing tires).  in addition, i would also inspect the wheel inside and out.  you didn't mention that, but i hope that your shop would instead of just throwing good rubber on a degraded wheel.

you know, i remember a time when if you didn't know how to work on your bike, you didn't own a bike.

and to further allay your concerns, i decided that instead of paying $700 for the tire changer, i would continue to take my wheels in to my indy.  while that puts me at someone else's schedule, it would take a few years of tire changes before i even hit the break even point.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 07:32:24 PM »

okay, I've done some searching, but have not found a definitive answer to my concern.  so hoping for some guidance.

i'm getting ready to change tires on my 2013 again.  now, in my area, there is only one indy in my area to take my wheels to but it costs about $100 for the change/balance.

i'm considering getting the cycle hill tire changer on black Friday special (assuming they do it again this year) but in looking at the no mar website, they don't recommend that unit for 'heavy' cruisers.  I can get away with $400 but the heavier duty unit is in the $600 range.

Our local shops in SoCal and Phoenix will want $550-$675 for full tire replacement on the “$45000”
CVO as I was quoted last month.

I usually do my own as I don’t have much faith that the local shops will check what I do.
If they DO check brakes, etc. they have never made any comments.
I guess all my bikes are “perfect” and need nothing.
so my question is, has anyone used the cycle hill changer on the stock cvo tires, 180/55-18 rear, 130/60-19 front, and found it to be doable?  or was it a bigger hassle than it's worth?  going to my local hd shop, it's over $700 to replace a set of tires, plus it takes all day.  or I can order the tires on the net for about $300 and do it on my time...
HOGMIKE

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 07:51:25 PM »

i decided that instead of paying $700 for the tire changer, i would continue to take my wheels in to my indy.  while that puts me at someone else's schedule, it would take a few years of tire changes before i even hit the break even point.

I think you would still be ahead of the game at that price, you would also have the satisfaction that nobody damaged your pulley or rotor let alone your wheel, just ask Longlast about his episode  :o
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 05:40:04 AM »

These are an other option to balancing

glinkmeyer

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 04:14:36 PM »

These are an other option to balancing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

glinkmeyer

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2018, 04:16:03 PM »

I don’t thinkI would use that if you had tire pressure sensors.

CJ CYCLE

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CJ CYCLE
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 11:32:49 AM »

Not directed at you. You didn’t get the point. We all have to survive. We all have to make a living without going bankrupt. My point was, that if you want someone else to install your tires or anything else, they too have a right to make money, just as you do. Don’t complain about the cost. Don’t take it personally.  It was directed at all who complain about $ it costs. If I can’t afford it, I don’t buy it. I don’t try to put people, who are trying to make a living, down for charging for their services.
Your “Indy” is probably charging a reasonable price for services rendered. Enjoy the fact that you can pay for the service and help him keep his business viable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CHOPS

CJ CYCLE

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CJ CYCLE
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 11:41:42 AM »

I think you would still be ahead of the game at that price, you would also have the satisfaction that nobody damaged your pulley or rotor let alone your wheel, just ask Longlast about his episode  :o

Some of that extra cost for doing a rear tire is for removing that pulley and rotor so you don’t damage it.  That is SOP in my shop. I can’t afford to buy my customers new pulleys or rotors. I paid $2000 for my tire changer so I wouldn’t damage the wheel. That $700 changer is what you will damage your wheel with.

CHOPS

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2018, 12:27:24 PM »

Some of that extra cost for doing a rear tire is for removing that pulley and rotor so you don’t damage it.  That is SOP in my shop. I can’t afford to buy my customers new pulleys or rotors. I paid $2000 for my tire changer so I wouldn’t damage the wheel. That $700 changer is what you will damage your wheel with.

No offense to you or your shop, I'm sure your quite capable of changing tires, but I'm sure this shop had the $2000 tire changer as well, but as with the $700 tire changer, if the user doesn't have the knowledge or common sense, you could end up like this: https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=117168.0

2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2019, 05:18:55 PM »

okay, so thought i would update this thread.  i didn't get the nomar tire changer on black friday.  but i did get it around christmas time.  was even a little cheaper.  in talking with the folks at nomar, it was explained that the cycle hill isn't really the best for changing harley touring tires, but the classic would do the job just fine.  add in the 'post-clamps' and it came out to just below $700.  still a healthy chunk of change.  but hey, put it on PayPal credit and you get 6 months to pay with no interest.  makes it sting just a little less.  (yes, i know all about the credit traps, etc...)

so, got it set up yesterday, and thanks to an old wheel that i had up in the attic, i got a chance to 'play' today.  i can tell you it isn't as easy as they make it look in the video, but i did get it after a bit.  a little more practice and it won't be that bad of a job to do.

and the best part?  now i can do it on my schedule and not have to get to a shop when it's open, etc...
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 24 queries.