Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ear budds hook up  (Read 1187 times)

frank1

ear budds hook up
« on: August 04, 2009, 01:36:20 AM »

i read some where that i could hook up a 3.5 mm plug in to the read speaker switch of my 09 SERG and plug in my head phones,ear Budd's,etc.. i am getting ready to pull the faring to hook up a Zumo and Sirius radio and want to hook up  the 3.5 mm plug to the speakers . what colour wires do i solder into for the rear speaker switch to work or is easer to solder into the front speakers wires ,which are already there. also is their a wiring harness already their for the rear speakers that i can tap into,if so were is located.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: ear budds hook up
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 07:02:02 AM »

Take a look at this thread - "How To" HK 06 and up Aux Jack to back of radio for detail pictures/instructions on how to move the plug to rear of radio.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

frank1

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 10:08:36 AM »

i looked at that and i may do that at some time. but right now i want to be able to use the custom made ear plugs ,with speakers,that i had made a year ago.i traded a 07 ultra on this 09 SERG and it had all the connections ,didn't use the ear plugs,for helmet speakers. would like  to use do the same for the SERG. i think there are some factory switched speaker wires attached to the radio for read speakers to be added , is that so .or ???????

bunt

• Full CVO Member
    • TN
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 10:15:19 AM »

My guess is that you're refering speaker plugs from the original wire harness that is negated by the rear amp overlay harness. I don't think these are hot with overlay in place, but not 100% on this.
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film. (Steven Wright)

frank1

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 01:04:35 PM »

OK. if i wanted to hook up a pair of rear speakers ,and not take it to the dealer to do this, where is the rear speaker wires located. behind the radio,under the side panel, or . i am thinking that i can hook my helmet speakers to the read speaker output and be able to use the speaker switch ,on the dash, to turn them on and off as well use the handlebar volume control--- am i thinking to far out of the box!!

Iron Cross Audio

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Iron Cross Audio
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 06:41:09 AM »

Your not thinking outside the box, just thinking inside alot of different boxes.

In a nutshell, you want a 3.5mm headset jack installed in a system without a headset option.
If you hook up to the speaker outputs, your earbuds will work, but you will not mute the external speakers when you plug them in. Output may be a bit high for earbuds, so the volume control will be very sensitive.

We can wire a connector into the radio that will activate the actual headphone output, turn on the unit's internal headphone volume control, and mute the external speakers. You have a few options here.

Give us a call if you would like to discuss this further and we'll tell you what's involved.

www.ironcrossaudio.com

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 10:54:03 AM »

Give us a call if you would like to discuss this further and we'll tell you what's involved.

www.ironcrossaudio.com

You might have more than one interested party.  Share the details here.  Is this something you can do only on the HK radios?  Or on the prior units as well.

Iron Cross Audio

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
    • Iron Cross Audio
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 11:19:48 AM »

There is an internal circuit in the HK radio responsible for the headphone output and switching. We install a 3.5mm socket in a 1inch by 2 inch box that you can mount anywhere you want. The socket we use has an additional switching circuit that we use to act like the fairing mounted speaker select switch. As soon as you plug in your headphone device, the speakers mute and the volume control switches over to the headphone setting. Cable from the socket to the radio can be as long as you want. We'll post some photos soon.

We have not yet tried it on the RSI units, but plan to work on it as soon as we get a chance.

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 21 queries.