Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New idea for audio setup on CVO Ultra...Thoughts?  (Read 2270 times)

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
New idea for audio setup on CVO Ultra...Thoughts?
« on: August 07, 2009, 03:06:25 PM »

Here's the dilemma. I'm sure others have faced it as well with SE Ultras. If you want to make your tourpak detachable, you have to figure out what to do with the rear amp under the tourpak. Dealer want's to relocate it into the saddle which seems very suboptimal and alot of labor for very little gain

I had a thought and was hoping to get feedback from others. I assume (please correct me if you have a wiring diagram as I don't) that the HK radio sends its 2 channel audio signal back to the rear amp. The rear amp then sends one channel to the rear TP speakers and the other channel back up to the fairing to power those speakers.

Would it be possoble to have the dealer leave the amp attached with all its wiring on the bottom of the tourpak after making it detachable (with all necessary waterproof plugs). Then have the dealer cut the speaker wires from the front channel inside the fairing and instead run separate audio wiring from the radio's front channel directly to the front speakers.

I know this would result in less power to the front speakers but it would leave the rear speakers with the same power they have from the factory and a whole lot less re-wiring associated with the tourpak.

Now the fun begins. With the front speakers essentially wired as a stock Ultra, it would be easy enough to use one of the plug & play setups from Hawg Wired, Hog Tunes or Biketronics (with upgraded speakers if desirable) to power the front speakers all the time. Essentially you'd have 3 amps but a relatively simple setup.

With Tourpak attached you'd have the radio (ch 2) and rear HK amp under the tourpak driving just the rear speakers.  The front speakers would be now driven by the radio amp (ch 1) combined with a new amp from one of the aftermarket makers.

With the Tourpak detached you'd have the radio (ch 1) combined with the aftermarket amp driving the front speakers. With the tourpak removed, the rear amp is removed along with the rear speakers. Essentially, channel 2 is now disconnected entirely from the system.

Am I missing something or would it be as simple as I'm describing. Is it possible to separate out the front channel from the radio inside the fairing in order to disconnect this channel before it goes to the rear amp? Does someone have a wiring diagram for the '09 SE Ultra to see if what I'm proposing makes sense. (I assume the radio wiring on the '09 and '01 are the same)

If this works it would definitely be a "have your cake and eat it too" situation. Plenty of power for the stock rear speakers when the tourpak is attached, no relocation of the rear amp to make the tourpak detachable and great sound from the front speakers with or without the tourpak attached. Thoughts?

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
Re: New idea for audio setup on CVO Ultra...Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 03:18:40 PM »

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=3801.0;all

HD Dude  (Jim)
 Metal dragon
22336 Meekland Ave.
Hayward CA 94541
510-885-9471
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 03:32:33 PM by 110 Mofo »
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 04:06:21 PM »

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=3801.0;all

HD Dude  (Jim)
 Metal dragon
22336 Meekland Ave.
Hayward CA 94541
510-885-9471

I second this thread above.

I think that if you dealer moves the amp, you are going to run into a mess with space and then having to disconnect the wires to take off the saddle bag.

If you try and rewire and split wires as well as try to run speakers off the radio its self you will not be happy at all! It will loose volume and sound quality to the point of it being useless at highway speeds.

You should look into the aftermarket set ups by HAWG WIRED or HOG TUNES.  There are others but these two listed seem to have excellent feed back and I don't think you could go wrong with either. 

I would read through the thread above and PM some of those members to gather the info you need to make a decision.

Sorry but I think you would be happier than to hack away at the factory stuff,

Topper

Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 04:50:42 PM »

If you're going to spend money... spend money on something better.... go Hawg-Wired and fuhgetaboutit. Spending money to move the MoCo's amp to another place (IMO) is money wasted. You could upgrade to something better (Hawg-Wired), possible sell the HK Amp and wiring harness on eBay and might come out (close to if not) even... if not even you'll come out w/a bigger smile on your face. :vrolijk_4:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 21 queries.