Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Tappet Noise??  (Read 7715 times)

jcraig147

• Full CVO Member
  • Batmobike 757 of 999

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-BLK
    • CVO2: 2004 Fatboy
Re: Tappet Noise??
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2012, 11:13:06 PM »

Something of a consideration here is that most people seem to use synthetic oil.  While the viscosity rating is supposed to be inherently similar to conventional, it seems thinner at any temperature.  Not knowing what oil is being used in your machines...it would be interesting to know if this tapping noise would be reduced by reverting back to a conventional oil...merely as a test.   It seems to me that when I switched to using synthetic, I noticed more pronounced tapping noises...maybe my imagination...but, have learned to accept it.

Dealer recommended I put conventional oil in. Did not change.  Told me what I am hearing are the valve springs...... :'(
Fullsac Stage 1, 2 in Cores, TTS Tuner

bigdave110

• Senior CVO Member
  • I can't take it with me N I ain't givin it to you!
    • PA

• CVO1: 2008,11,12,13 FLHTCUSE (all sold)
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO street glide(sold) 2017 CVO Street Glide(sold)
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO street glide (Black)
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2012, 11:17:15 PM »

Then I suppose $430 is a little out of line :puke:
OMG, are you kidding me.
I would never pay that much for what amounts to me to be  nothing more then a fluid change and maybe a fall away test if the tech feels like doing it.
JMHO
Big DAve

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2012, 11:34:17 PM »

greyghost, I paid $350.00 for th 1K service at my local dealership. I only did it for warranty purposes. Since then I have done all my own services. The service manual is not that pricey and it is really pretty easy as most guys here would agree. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2012, 12:03:21 AM »

Not really, lots of dealers get that in SoCal. Some charge more!
Shop rates run about $100hr also.
Just the sign of the times, I guess.
 :nixweiss:
HOGMIKE

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2012, 07:18:08 AM »

Thanks to all for your replies and information . . . I rode my clattering bike to the dealer this afternoon to talk about the problem. Not a pleasant experience . . . I received quite a number of lectures on everything from how terrible these sort of forums are, how terrible Syn3 is, how terrible AmsOil is, how terrible a rider I am  :confused5: and that everything will be OK until I get to my 1k service and they will let me know then if there is anything wrong. I couldn't even get the Service Manager to walk out and listen to the bike. I will have to call for an appointment to get a 'tech' to do that. :wall: :furious3:

So . . . In search of a new dealer!!

BTW . . . Does anyone have feedback on the cost for the 1k Service?

Grey Ghost

A "tech" that held his last job, over a McDonalds burger griddle?
About 22 years old, trying like hell to beat the flat rate, just to have enough gas money to try for that again, next week.
Scott

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2012, 09:26:06 AM »

A "tech" that held his last job, over a McDonalds burger griddle?
About 22 years old, trying like hell to beat the flat rate, just to have enough gas money to try for that again, next week.
Scott

Yeah, but he now has a Phd patch sewn over the golden arches patch on his shirt!
 8)
HOGMIKE

captdave221

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2012, 10:38:42 AM »

Okay I agree with most of what has been said in this thread but...... as a tech in a Franchised shop how am I supposed to handle these complaints when :

1) HD don't pay for a teardown.
2) I have never seen this rider again and if the bike does get fixed somehow will never see him again.
3) Why isn't his selling dealer taking care of him?
4) With all the expertise on this site and others no one seems to have an answer.

I agree about some techs just came from mickey dee's but I get really pissed off when a cheap a-- customer of ours goes to another dealer to get his PowerCommander there and then comes to me and complains about his 103 cranking and starting hard because the other dealer tech shut off the ACR's because that is what you have to do when you install a PCV on a FBW 103. How stupid are these people. A lot if you want my opinion. Sorry had a bad week with dumb customers

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2012, 11:24:52 AM »

Okay I agree with most of what has been said in this thread but...... as a tech in a Franchised shop how am I supposed to handle these complaints when :

2) I have never seen this rider again and if the bike does get fixed somehow will never see him again.
4) With all the expertise on this site and others no one seems to have an answer.

I agree about some techs just came from mickey dee's but I get really pissed off when a cheap a-- customer of ours goes to another dealer to get his PowerCommander there and then comes to me and complains about his 103 cranking and starting hard because the other dealer tech shut off the ACR's because that is what you have to do when you install a PCV on a FBW 103. How stupid are these people. A lot if you want my opinion. Sorry had a bad week with dumb customers

What the customer got elsewhere and where is now may be annoying.  But it's isolated from the initial questions of the moment.  To your four questions I'd suggest:

1) HD don't pay for a teardown.  Do you legitimately think there may be a problem?  If yes and if the bike is in warranty the customer is due the effort.  Period.  Unfortunately for the shop nothing else (should) matter.  Just as it is illegitimate for a customer to expect free work out of warranty it is also illegitimate for a shop to expect the customer to bear the cost of diagnosis and repair within the warranty period.

2) I have never seen this rider again and if the bike does get fixed somehow will never see him again.  Unfortunately, if the equipment is in warranty, that doesn't matter.  If you're a factory dealership you're part of the warranty network.  Just as with #1 above, if the machine is out of warranty there's a conversation to be had with the customer.  If he's in warranty the franchised dealership of the manufacturer should just deliver.  It may not seem fair.  But it evens out.  As many of your original buying customers will get service at other shops as the buying customers of those other shops come to you for service.  So while it may seem annoying on a case by case basis it will even out and you'll never even know when your original purchasers are elsewhere.

3) Why isn't his selling dealer taking care of him? A definite question of curiosity and even concern.  But irrelevant to the fact that he's at your door with a warranty problem right now.  The more proper context of this question might be: "This guy bought somewhere else and is here now.  Maybe he's not happy.  So if I serve him well he'll buy here next time."

4) With all the expertise on this site and others no one seems to have an answer.  That's a bit of a cop out.  All the "experts" here really aren't.  We're just a bunch of guys who ride some and have some decent familiarity.  More importantly; none of us have the bike in hand.  The servicing shop does (or did).  That being so who should have the better insight as to what the problem is?

Seriously, I don't think it's any more fair for a customer to show up one day out of warranty asking for free service than it would be for a dealer to try to deny warranty service because the warranty only had one day left (or for any other reason).  It is a two way street.  If, however, the rules of the system allow the man to be at your door (as they do) and there's a chance he's got a problem then work on the bike.  Period.  That's how the system should work.  Do him a good job and you've made a customer.  Complain about the fact that he's there and you'll become just another shop not worth coming back to.  Those really are (or should be) the choices faced by the shops.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 11:40:46 AM by Twolanerider »

mlbraptor

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2012, 11:31:48 AM »

Well SAID..

Grey Ghost

• Full CVO Member
  • Fullsac "C" x-pipe, 2" baffles, TTS, Monotubes

• CVO1: 2003 Dyna Wide Glide (non CVO)
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2012, 11:47:45 AM »

CaptDave,

I appreciate your comments and apparent frustration. . . This sidebar for the Tappet Noise question I started was due to my frustration regarding an individual being paid as a Service Manager, that decided to be condescending and disrespectful to me as a customer. I don't care how stupid my question is (and my noise issue I don't is), as long as I treat him with respect as an individual and for his position, he should do the same.

What makes this situation worse, is this dealer charges approx 2x what other dealers charge for the same service.

All I ask as a customer is to be treated with honesty/respect and to receive fair value or service for what I pay. Nothing more!!

Grey Ghost
Someone once said that the key to happiness is a bad memory. For the life of me, I can't remember who said it!!

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2012, 12:34:12 PM »

1) HD don't pay for a teardown.  That's between the MOCO and the dealership.  It's irrelevant to the owner of the bike with a problem while under warranty...

2) I have never seen this rider again and if the bike does get fixed somehow will never see him again. Maybe, maybe not - what was the result of the experience for the customer? Good or bad?   You may have gained a customer...  But again, it's irrelevant to the owner of the bike with a problem under warranty.

3) Why isn't his selling dealer taking care of him?  Maybe an interesting question, but again, it's really doesn't matter why the customer's at your door.  Perhaps it's the beginning of a long term customer/dealer relationship.

4) With all the expertise on this site and others no one seems to have an answer.  No one on the site has the bike in their possession... Internet forum diagnosis is interesting banter sometimes, but problem solving generally requires hands on actions...

Your comments seem borne from frustration of the warranty relationship between the MOCO and dealerships...  The customer with valid and active warranty in hand doesn't really care about your problems - he only cares that his bike is repaired correctly and promptly per the terms of his warranty...  Sorry, but fair or not, that's reality... :nixweiss:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2012, 12:44:04 PM »

Scott and Don; warped minds think alike  8) .

(but it was much more profound in red)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2012, 04:03:46 PM »

Scott and Don; warped minds think alike  8) .

(but it was much more profound in red)

Too funny....hadn't seen your response. (Didn't mean to pile on, Captdave221...sorry!)

(But red is better in most circumstances...  hehe...)
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

vtfast

• 2011 Road King Classic
  • If you can't fix it, figure it out then fix it!
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2012, 05:44:17 PM »

I wonder if 3n1 oil will fix it?
BigBoyz head porting.
Home ported / smoothed intake.
Andrews 54H cams.
SE air filter.
SERT
Stock pushrods
SuperTrap true duals, will be changing over to Fulsac after I am done playing with the SERT.
Dynojet Power Vision hooked up, handy for real time data. Owners manual, oh wait a minute, they don't have one with it!
Tried the S&S 551 cams, hated them!
30 tooth sprocket is in the works.

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2012, 07:00:32 AM »

Maybe if 90% of the dealer network didn't reply with the arrogant, condescending and patronizingly scripted answer "IT'S NORMAL" you wouldn't have to ask either one of your four questions.
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 22 queries.