Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dual bulb headlight..need help  (Read 2508 times)

1coolrk

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
dual bulb headlight..need help
« on: July 28, 2005, 04:50:04 AM »

I have installed the new 2-bulb headlight in my bike, I remember a few months back reading one of the forum members changed the bulbs out to a brighter version. does anyone remember the model no#? seem's like they were silverstars? Did they make a difference?  Thank's Lee [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
Re:  dual bulb headlight..need help
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 08:30:29 AM »

Lee I don't have an answer to your question,  but welcome to the site.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 08:36:12 AM »

I did a search on "silverstar" and came up with the thread I think you're talking about.  This link will take you to reply #22 where the silverstars were first mentioned: CLICK HERE

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2005, 08:37:57 AM by 103tHunDer »

Striker

• Senior CVO Member
  • Rocky Mountain Yellow FLHTSE2
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 04:57:56 PM »

I have run a halogen 120/130 on my bikes for several years.  Harley warns me about it getting too hot for the wiring, but only had one issue, and that was on one of my bikes it warped the plug.  No problem tho, picked one up at Auto Zone for $1.99.  When I would put on the brights it would just about start a forest fire.  No problems with people in cages not dimming their lights when I flashed em.  On the same note, I replaced my driving lights with off road lamps, and they really helped at night to light up the sides of the road.
On the SEEG, I notice they have a better lighting system, so have not made the change on that.
2005 Yellow SEEG
2001 1200 XL chopper
Why take the easy road?  I prefer to come
to a stop slidin' in sidways, hangin' on
for dear life, just so I am able to say;
"Man what a ride!"

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2005, 09:26:19 PM »

I bought the 2/bulb Headlamp and was very disappointed. I changed the passing lamps at the same time to the Flutted ones with replaceable bulbs. Also disappointed in them. I went to Sylvania.com and found a 65 W Bulb to replace the 35W stock Hi-Beam bulb and 39W ones for the passing lamps (vs 27w stockers). Lighting is very good now. Note: stock hi beam in the two bulb unit is a 35W fog lamp bulb, so when you turn hibeams on you actually loose total wattage. IE: 55 Watt lo beam, 2 passing lamps @ 27w each for a total wattage output of 109W, BUT ON high you loose the passing lamps and have one 55W bulb from lo beam and the 35W high beam for 90W total.
Now with the 55W lo and the 65W high, light is very good on high and the lo setting with the 55W headlamp and the 2 passing lamps at 39W each it is also MUCH better than before. I should have, but didn't write down the part numbers, but Sylvania.com auto section is pretty easy to use. Only took a few minutes to figure out which ones to buy, total expense at Autozone was less than $20.00

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2005, 11:34:42 PM »

I bought the 2/bulb Headlamp and was very disappointed. I changed the passing lamps at the same time to the Flutted ones with replaceable bulbs. Also disappointed in them. I went to Sylvania.com and found a 65 W Bulb to replace the 35W stock Hi-Beam bulb and 39W ones for the passing lamps (vs 27w stockers). Lighting is very good now. Note: stock hi beam in the two bulb unit is a 35W fog lamp bulb, so when you turn hibeams on you actually loose total wattage. IE: 55 Watt lo beam, 2 passing lamps @ 27w each for a total wattage output of 109W, BUT ON high you loose the passing lamps and have one 55W bulb from lo beam and the 35W high beam for 90W total.
Now with the 55W lo and the 65W high, light is very good on high and the lo setting with the 55W headlamp and the 2 passing lamps at 39W each it is also MUCH better than before. I should have, but didn't write down the part numbers, but Sylvania.com auto section is pretty easy to use. Only took a few minutes to figure out which ones to buy, total expense at Autozone was less than $20.00

DW, why'd you splurge for the new dual bulb headlamp and the new bulbs on top of it when (in typical Harley fashion) you could have REALLY SPLURGED and got the new dual bulb HID headlamp?  After all, it's only a 525 dollar headlight  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448768343&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302491575&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302491575&bmUID=1122780773323&bmLocale=en_US

(Yes dammit, I might actually buy one someday.  But not until after Christmas!)

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2005, 10:58:44 AM »

I bought the Dual Bulb headlamp back in April, So new HID was not out. I intend to look at the HID one next weekend during the Fletchers Anniversary sale, that is a lot for a light, until you buy one for a car, the ones in my Escalade are $682.70 EACH, so $525 for a bike, cheap.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2005, 12:56:53 PM »

I bought the Dual Bulb headlamp back in April, So new HID was not out. I intend to look at the HID one next weekend during the Fletchers Anniversary sale, that is a lot for a light, until you buy one for a car, the ones in my Escalade are $682.70 EACH, so $525 for a bike, cheap.

I was actually thinking much the same thing DW.  I got one of the dual bulbs back somewhere around the same time you did so my timing sucked as well.  But was actually a bit surprised by the price HD put on its new product.  Compared to what some on the market are it's really not bad.  Figure that at one of the 20% off places you're around $420 and compared to some others it's really a very un-Harley-like price.

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 25 queries.