Custom Vehicle Discussions > 1999 FXR2/1999 FXR3/2000 FXR4

HD FXR 3 Wont Start

(1/4) > >>

Theway:
Hey guys trying to do a process of elimination on this. Washed the bike yesterday and now it wont start. HD tested my battery and it checked out ok. What next? When I push the start button my Fireball Hi-4E just clicks when I try to start. Any advice?

Twolanerider:
So when you say "won't start" you're meaning it won't turn over?  Just clicks? 

If it does just click and you know for sure the battery is dead than check the cables (both ends of each cable).  Check them either for being loose or for deteriorating in the crimp.  If the cables are good check the start solenoid.

There are solenoid rebuild kits.  It's something that can be done with the starter on the bike.  Often you don't even need the kit though.  Take the cover off the solenoid and polish all the necessary bits. 

Theway:
Bike just clicks. I will try these things. I did have the HD dealer check my battery and they said it was good. I really appreciate.

Twolanerider:

--- Quote from: Theway on May 28, 2020, 07:18:24 PM ---Bike just clicks. I will try these things. I did have the HD dealer check my battery and they said it was good. I really appreciate.

--- End quote ---

20 years in means things like solenoids are expected to give an issue.  Coincidentally just last fall I was out on my old FXR2.  Stopped at a store and came out to have it just click click click.  Was as certain as I could be the battery was good and that the cables were good.  Had looked it all over very recently.
 Was still several miles from home with a bad case of the click-click-clicks.

Back in the store and bought the cheapest tools I could to get a 5/16 nut driver and cheap package of sand paper.  Opened up the end of the solenoid there in the parking lot and ten minutes later was on my way.  Will keep my finger crossed your solution is as easy.

Theway:
This is the box/fuse that clicks when I try to turn over. Should I replace ? Is this a fuse?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version