Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: M8 oil pan  (Read 1806 times)

Pan1

• Full CVO Member
M8 oil pan
« on: August 22, 2021, 11:44:41 PM »

Is there a SE or aftermarket oil pan that lowers engine oil Temp for the M-8 ?  I know there ones for the Twin Cam but can not find one for the M-8

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: M8 oil pan
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 12:03:56 AM »

There are pans for Twin Cam that increase the oil volume.  That will not lower the oil temp.  It will just make it take a little longer to reach normal operating temperature.  The engine is going end up running at the same temp whether or not it's got an extra quart in it or not though. So it will take a little longer to heat up that larger volume of oil; and it will take a little longer to cool it down.  Any advertising suggesting significant lowering of oil temps as a result is, well.... advertising.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 07:24:13 AM »

Didn't they increase the oil pan capacity with the M8 engine?

Wut the hell was that maneuver

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 09:37:19 AM »

How can added oil capacity lower heat? Why not address the root cause or define what is high oil temperature.  250 is not high. What is your oil running, median temp?

Pan1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2021, 10:52:41 PM »

Maybe marketing but some of the Twin Cam higher capacity pans had cooling fins. My bike has the SE 131 kit and is twin cooled. I do not want to use an aftermarket tuner and void the warranty although I am using Fullsac head pipes and 2.25 baffles. It is a twin cooled motor but heat coming off the engine and even the radiator fans makes it no fun to ride on a 90 degree day. Bike runs great makes 131 hp and 136 tq. Dyno chart was posted on another thread. The engine heat is intense.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2021, 11:11:51 PM »

Maybe marketing but some of the Twin Cam higher capacity pans had cooling fins. My bike has the SE 131 kit and is twin cooled. I do not want to use an aftermarket tuner and void the warranty although I am using Fullsac head pipes and 2.25 baffles. It is a twin cooled motor but heat coming off the engine and even the radiator fans makes it no fun to ride on a 90 degree day. Bike runs great makes 131 hp and 136 tq. Dyno chart was posted on another thread. The engine heat is intense.

Understand your issue and its associated discomfort.  A larger oil pan isn't going to solve that one for you though.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2021, 07:23:24 AM »

I also have the twin cooled motor in my 2019 with the larger motor and parts combo similar to yours.
Dyno tuned last December and ridden in 90+ heat with no complaints.
I had thought a “cool flow” fan may be in my future but haven’t needed it at this point.

If your dyno tune was where you are happy with the results, maybe the coolflow would help?
JMHO
 8)
HOGMIKE

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 22 queries.