Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Observations during disassembly of my 110  (Read 3827 times)

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
Observations during disassembly of my 110
« on: February 26, 2017, 06:19:01 PM »

My 09 SERG has given me 34k trouble free miles so far but I figure it's prudent to take care of the cam chest, (did S&S lifters at 10k), and the valve guides before they ruin an engine that is still intact. After much homework and some helpful information from other members in here I've decided to go with T-Man's 113 kit.

One thing I've noticed while taking the motor apart is the inconsistency in bolt torque. Even on the same component I've found lot of noticeable differences from fastener to fastener. Even one of the cylinder bolts was much easier to loosen than the other 3. Also need to replace the compensator, again. 

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
Re: Observations during disassembly of my 110
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 10:34:35 PM »

I think you said you were building at home so have fun with it. T-man has a very good reputation. I think a few members here are running his kit
Most great stores start with a bad decision

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 07:58:07 AM »

Correct you are YellowSerg, looking forward to getting the parts back from Tman to put this thing back together.
Keep us posted on your 117 monster.  :2vrolijk_21:

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 10:32:16 AM »

The compensaver is a nice add. Basically an oil tray the keeps it lubed up.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 04:28:54 PM »

The compensaver is a nice add. Basically an oil tray the keeps it lubed up.

X2 on that!! with the washer vs that so called bearing, it will also be nice and quiet..
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 05:44:17 PM »

The new SE unit that glues a tray to your cover,  what is the general consensus on that thing? 

Cecild211

• Ride long and hard
    • TN

• CVO1: 2016 FLTRSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLTRU 111,000 miles
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 09:19:13 PM »

The new SE unit that glues a tray to your cover,  what is the general consensus on that thing?

The new SE Is a good unit.  It is quieter with the compusaver and included washer to replace bearing. 

I really like the design of the baker compensator and it is a quite unit as well.  Doesn't have as much free play.  Verdict is still out on the longevity of the baker unit.  It is what I'm running.  I think a unit should last longer than the Harley one does.  The design of the baker makes me think it will. 

112,000 miles and my forth compensator - we shall see

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2017, 02:28:32 PM »

The SERG is back together with a new SE compensator(3rd one including the wimpy stock unit), a new rear brake light switch that decided to burn up during the rebuild, Daymaker headlight, and a Tman 113 street performer kit fresh off the dyno. The bike is even more fun to ride. Also replaced the ACR's while the heads were being refurbished and installed the HPI 58mm TB with 5.3 injectors.  Hope the link works. 

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 08:05:04 AM »

aclass, how you like the rebuild? would you do anything different if given? I'm at 50k on mine and been planning a topend overhaul, I've gathered some parts but keep thinking about pulling the engine and go all the way from the crank up.  :drink:

The current state of my engine is ccp shows 222 warm and cold both cylinders, I live at 20' above sea level.  It will burn 4oz of oil every 500mi. I've never done a leakdown. At 36k I replaced the lifters, inner cam bearings, cam chain tensioners  and installed the rockout shims, other than that the motor is bone stock. I'm a DIY'er for things within my skill level and not by choice but from past experiences with dealers and indy shops.

I hope your build gives you plenty of miles and smiles

TN

I didn't click the link to bookface just because, so I prolly missing out on some details on your build.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 08:08:51 AM by TN »
Wut the hell was that maneuver

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 07:37:27 PM »

aclass, how you like the rebuild? would you do anything different if given? I'm at 50k on mine and been planning a topend overhaul, I've gathered some parts but keep thinking about pulling the engine and go all the way from the crank up.  :drink:

The current state of my engine is ccp shows 222 warm and cold both cylinders, I live at 20' above sea level.  It will burn 4oz of oil every 500mi. I've never done a leakdown. At 36k I replaced the lifters, inner cam bearings, cam chain tensioners  and installed the rockout shims, other than that the motor is bone stock. I'm a DIY'er for things within my skill level and not by choice but from past experiences with dealers and indy shops.

I hope your build gives you plenty of miles and smiles

TN

I didn't click the link to bookface just because, so I prolly missing out on some details on your build.

TN, not sure I'd do anything different on the build other than your rockout shims to rid the tick. I'm exactly where you were at 36k but also wanted to go through the heads so I did some homework and went with T-mans kit. The 117 is probably more popular these days but I wasnt after huge numbers. The torque on this build is addicting, it starts right away so getting away from red lights is pretty fun.
If my bike had 50k and I was going to keep it, I'd pull the motor and go from the crank up but that would only be for piece of mind for another 50k.
Here is an attachment that the link had, showing off the curves.

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 07:27:22 AM »

Never heard anything negative about T-man, products or work. Dyno sheet looks like she pulls hard from the get-go too  :2vrolijk_21:  cams? you do anything with the clutch? and who tuned that beast? sorry for all the questions but inquiring mind here. Keep us apprised please.

Enjoy the ride  :orange:

TN

I forgot one thing, awesome looking bike ya got there.  :bananarock:
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 07:30:57 AM by TN »

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 09:20:10 AM »

Never heard anything negative about T-man, products or work. Dyno sheet looks like she pulls hard from the get-go too  :2vrolijk_21:  cams? you do anything with the clutch? and who tuned that beast? sorry for all the questions but inquiring mind here. Keep us apprised please.

Enjoy the ride  :orange:

TN

I forgot one thing, awesome looking bike ya got there.  :bananarock:

Glad to answer anything.
The cams are T-Mans 585PS and although he suggested a clutch upgrade I have yet to do so after having a sore wallet.  Brian at T-Man tuned it, I dont believe that was his first day on the job. After I got the motor back together, I loaded a base tune that he sent me and it was reasonably close and allowed me to ride a few hundred miles before a road trip to Greensboro for the tune.  Here is a picture of the heads,  I tried to add another one but it didnt take.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 11:19:30 AM »

TN, not sure I'd do anything different on the build other than your rockout shims to rid the tick. I'm exactly where you were at 36k but also wanted to go through the heads so I did some homework and went with T-mans kit. The 117 is probably more popular these days but I wasnt after huge numbers. The torque on this build is addicting, it starts right away so getting away from red lights is pretty fun.
If my bike had 50k and I was going to keep it, I'd pull the motor and go from the crank up but that would only be for piece of mind for another 50k.
Here is an attachment that the link had, showing off the curves.

Nice Curves :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
I'm sure it's a Blast to Ride,,, Night & Day from a stock 110...
'Been very Happy with T-Man stuff over the years...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2017, 05:31:17 PM »

The other picture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2017, 07:41:44 PM »

It's nice when a plan comes together in this dept, good job. Those pics show off some nice work too. To be honest the stock configuration has all the power I need but as long as I'm in there why not. I've looked at going .010 over, 24D cams and some headwork but haven't even tore her apart yet.  :nixweiss: Whatever I choose it will be a proven kit and parts that work well together. It's fixing to happen though, winter down in the deep south is prime riding weather, with summer upon us I'll crank up the a/c and get with it. I've owned a 145hp motorsikle before and it just got me in trouble.  :drink:

Thanks for sharing yer real world experience and enjoy

TN
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 22 queries.