Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Texas BBQ Tour 2017  (Read 7426 times)

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra
    • Twisted Rides
Re: Texas BBQ Tour 2017
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2017, 12:30:21 AM »

Decisions, decisions. What should I eat for dinner? How 'bout more BBQ? I chose...
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• Twisted Rides
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2017, 12:33:50 AM »

Black's is family-owned and has been in continuous operation for 84 years, so they must be doing something right. And after sampling the brisket and garlic sausage, I herby proclaim Black's my favorite BBQ of the tour.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 10:25:46 AM by RoadTrip »
Some folks seek the comfort of the straight and narrow. Me? I prefer the twisted road.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2017, 12:36:00 AM »

Tim, it's not often that a ride before it makes me hungry. Very nice!   :2vrolijk_21:   :2vrolijk_21:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• Twisted Rides
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2017, 12:37:48 AM »

The walls are plastered with game mounts, press clippings, awards, and pictures of their community involvement over the years, such as sponsoring Liitle League Baseball teams...the sort of things that generate 84 years and multiple generations of customers. THIS is what makes America great.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• Twisted Rides
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2017, 12:45:20 AM »

All good things must come to an end and so it is with my Texas BBQ Tour 2017. With a full belly, I pointed Dusty towards East Texas and began the long journey home. I stopped at Buc-ee's (perhaps the world's largest gas station) and couldn't resist capturing Dusty's trophy shot...she definately lived up to her Insect Assassin moniker. Arrived home safe and sound at 10:30p...with the belly still full.

Oh, and that bottle of Four Roses is gone now too. Thanks for keeping me company on the adventure.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2017, 08:35:11 AM »

Good ride report!   :2vrolijk_21: Black's is a good end to your BBQ trek.  Buc-ees has become a regular stop when back in Texas, it boggles the mind - in a good way.

Have used the Hill Country (and it's great food) as a starting off spot going out to Big Bend, as well as a few rides just centered in the HC.  Love the area and the lack of traffic combined with great views/roads. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2017, 09:29:36 AM »

Once again, great ride report Tim!  Thanks for sharing your trip with us.
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• Twisted Rides
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2017, 10:21:24 AM »

Agreed on Bill's.  Suggest next time try Buzzies in Kerrville it's better.

Nice folks run Frio Canyon MC Shop.  Good place.  :2vrolijk_21:

It was a difficult choice between Bill's and Buzzies. I did not choose wisely.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2017, 10:35:51 AM »

Thank you for sharing. BBQ and a ride, doesn't get any better than that. Once that BBQ settles in and you can bend over again Dusty is going to need a bath
Most great stores start with a bad decision

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• Twisted Rides
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2017, 11:39:34 AM »

Epilogue:

Now that my digestive tract has survived all of the beef and pork consumed, my brain can finally start thinking about what made this trip special.

The weather was perfect and the 941.9 miles of roads outstanding. The food was obviously great and the hotel accommodations (Best Western Sunday House in Kerrville) was adequate. It was my second long distance solo ride. Better than my first, but I still much prefer to have my bride of nearly 37 years along (she was doing her annual vacation with her sisters).

I didn't post about the people I met along the way, but they are what really made the trip special.

Like the guy from Denton, TX riding a BMW adventure bike. The thing was a little beaten-up looking and had stickers from where he had ridden all over the world. Like his trip(s) to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska (yes, multiple). And from Texas down to the tip of Latin America. And from China across Russia into Eastern Europe. And all around New Zealand and South Africa. He was not a wealthy man, just determined with a great sense of adventure. He'd never been out of Texas until 2002.

Or the fun couple from Angleton, TX on the GoldWing who are relatively new to motorcycling (started in 2015). They own a small logistics company and work too much, but play hard too. With retirement on the horizon, they find motorcycling together a great way to put life into perspective.

Or John, a recently retired pastor from San Antonio who lost his wife to cancer a year ago. He doesn't hesitate to jump on his 2008 Ultra Classic and ride to Arizona or Las Vegas to visit (or help) friends. At 63, he's full of life and healthy. He's still mad at God for taking his wife, but understands there is a higher power at work and is finally ready to share life with someone again...but she has to ride!

And there were countless others who shared a brief word or lustful glance at Dusty.

I made a conscious effort to slow down on this ride. Not speed, but pace. To take pics...to really see the trip, not just push through it. I also made it a point to talk to people, whether it was at a rest stop, while eating, or sitting around the pool at the end of the day, or just holding a door open for someone and striking up a light conversation. And out of respect for the help JCZ has given in planning an upcoming Northern California tour, to complete the ride report. It didn't happen if you don't write the ride report. It was very wise advice.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 12:00:47 PM by RoadTrip »
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

RoadTrip

• Senior CVO Member
    • TX

• Twisted Rides
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2017, 11:52:31 AM »

Thank you for sharing. BBQ and a ride, doesn't get any better than that. Once that BBQ settles in and you can bend over again Dusty is going to need a bath

My wife came out one day when I was washing Dusty and said, "I wish you would give me a bath like that." My first thought was, "Well, if you gave me this kind of ride..." Fortunately, the words never crossed my lips, which is probably why I am still alive today.
Twisted Rides Blog
Twisted Rides Videos

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2017, 12:08:44 PM »

It was a difficult choice between Bill's and Buzzies. I did not choose wisely.

Bill's is not bad, just prefer Buzzies. BBQ is very subjective, folks like what they like.  Liked your follow up post re: people along the way.  That is one of the things - besides scenery and events - that makes the rides memorable - the people.  With groups we like YO Ranch hotel in Kerrville.  A little dated and it could use a remodel, but rooms are clean & has good spots to gather up a group after the riding is done. Best Westerns seem to be good/bad depending on the location, have not stayed at the one in Kerrville.

Now am ready to ride that area again.  Last time was when the bluebonnets were popping.  Fun trip.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2017, 12:33:14 PM »

My wife came out one day when I was washing Dusty and said, "I wish you would give me a bath like that." My first thought was, "Well, if you gave me this kind of ride..o." Fortunately, the words never crossed my lips, which is probably why I am still alive today.

Did JC give you that advice also. ptobably good advice. seems you ate a smart man. for me, I would have probably spilled those words out
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2017, 02:04:10 PM »

My wife came out one day when I was washing Dusty and said, "I wish you would give me a bath like that." My first thought was, "Well, if you gave me this kind of ride..." Fortunately, the words never crossed my lips, which is probably why I am still alive today.

Very good thing that those words only ran through the mind and not the mouth. You could still be speaking with a slured voice and only seeing out of one eye otherwise...lol.

You sure said a mouthful in your last post. It's taken me 55 years to finally slow down and enjoy, now I wonder what all I missed that was right in front of me when younger.

Thank you for sharing
Most great stores start with a bad decision

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2017, 07:36:06 PM »

There are parts of Arkansas where BBQ is pronounced "bubba-clue" by many of the locals.  I picked it up years ago, but knew it was likely that no one from outside the state would know what the heck I was talking about.  Discretion is the better part of valor not looking like a doofus I suppose.    :P
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 21 queries.