Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CLEANING BLACK RIMS  (Read 2739 times)

Frank FX

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Prostreet Breakout
CLEANING BLACK RIMS
« on: September 06, 2017, 12:17:55 PM »

Love the look but they get so much brake dust. 17 CVO Breakout. What are you using to clean them up.
Might try the H-D wheel & tire cleaner.
Thanks

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.
Re: CLEANING BLACK RIMS
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 12:39:12 PM »

This is what I use on the black turbine wheels on my breakout. Pricey, but worth it.
http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exterior/wheels-tires/adam-s-deep-wheel-cleaner.html

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 12:56:21 PM »

I use soap and water, sometimes a light wheel cleaner from Griots Garage  https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/wheel+cleaner.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=fn

then I treat them with Power Lock, then Collinite 845 wax (I use the Power Lock and Collinite on the whole bike as well as the wheels, seems like there easier to clean the next time :nixweiss:
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

fred786

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2018 FLHCS 114
    • CVO3: 2016 FLHXSE Traded
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 03:16:07 PM »

The key is to have a good sealer on them to start.  This year I tried Pinnacle Black Diamond Ceramic Wheel Coating for the first time.  Amazing results.  Hit them with a little All Purpose Cleaner and everything hoses right off.

Frank FX

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Prostreet Breakout
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 11:36:01 AM »

Thanks guys!!

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 11:38:12 AM »

The key is to have a good sealer on them to start.  This year I tried Pinnacle Black Diamond Ceramic Wheel Coating for the first time.  Amazing results.  Hit them with a little All Purpose Cleaner and everything hoses right off.

Will give this a try.  usually just wax the wheels with the same stuff as the bike.  Sounds better.

Edit:  Until I checked the price on this stuff.  Thanks anyway.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 11:40:40 AM by iski »
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

fred786

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2018 FLHCS 114
    • CVO3: 2016 FLHXSE Traded
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 01:46:22 PM »

iski
First thoughts and prayers as Ierma bares down on our Florida and East Coast Brothers and Sisters.
Sign up for AutoGeek email list out of Stuart Florida (hopefully will still be there after storm).  They send out 20% off coupons all the time and give Florida addresses free shipping because they have to charge the tax.  We spend our winters in Kissimmee and I buy my years worth of supplies from them while down there.
What I can also tell you is this stuff goes a long, long, way and a small spritz bottle will last forever.  Secondly the Wheel Coating has a high heat tolerance and I used it on my pipes and entire engine area as well and after 100's of washes it is still working.  I hit the entire bike with a foam cannon with APC in it then power wash with low pressure nozzle.  I have not hand washed either bike since doing them and thus preventing swirls.  Just blow dry and wipe down with microfiber or waffle weave towel.

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 02:18:03 PM »

You get what you pay for with detailing supplies. If you spend 30k on a motorcycle, don't cheap out when it comes to taking care of it. Just my 2cents

Designflaw

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KY

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2017, 03:40:01 PM »

This is what I use on the black turbine wheels on my breakout. Pricey, but worth it.
http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exterior/wheels-tires/adam-s-deep-wheel-cleaner.html

I 2nd this, but I also use the waterless wash
2017 FLHXSE CVO Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black
Performance: HP 99 TQ 121
Stage II = HD Torque Cam SE8-447
Rinehart Slimline, 4" Cans
HD Tuner w/ Wideband module
Screaming Eagle Front Fork internals, Tuned Rear

Appearance:
Blacking out all chrome and bolts. (Work in progress)
Custom color matched carbon fiber parts
HD Passing Lamps and LED lamps

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 03:56:01 PM »

x2 on Autogeek, great company to deal with. Good, free, training video's if you don't happen to know how to handle a product you wish to use. #2, I do alot of detail type work, cars and bikes. We may all one day have to use waterless cleaners, but they only promote scratching, chrome, paint or  stainless waterless cleaners are just promoters of scratching. Any dust or particles of dirt you try to waterless wipe away you scratch with. Some will argue but they scratch. I know in some cities unless you only wash on certain days you are forced to use waterless, so sorry for you guys.
Call Autogeek and tell them what you want to clean, they will only sell you what will properly clean them.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 03:58:16 PM »

iski
First thoughts and prayers as Ierma bares down on our Florida and East Coast Brothers and Sisters.
Sign up for AutoGeek email list out of Stuart Florida (hopefully will still be there after storm).  They send out 20% off coupons all the time and give Florida addresses free shipping because they have to charge the tax.  We spend our winters in Kissimmee and I buy my years worth of supplies from them while down there.
What I can also tell you is this stuff goes a long, long, way and a small spritz bottle will last forever.  Secondly the Wheel Coating has a high heat tolerance and I used it on my pipes and entire engine area as well and after 100's of washes it is still working.  I hit the entire bike with a foam cannon with APC in it then power wash with low pressure nozzle.  I have not hand washed either bike since doing them and thus preventing swirls.  Just blow dry and wipe down with microfiber or waffle weave towel.

Thanks Fred, appreciate the good words.  Will check that out, do not doubt that it is good stuff.  Do use good quality waxes.  Sounds like it doesn't take a lot to detail a wheel.  Will check out the discount source, appreciate your providing it.  Noticed years ago that a good wax on wheels made cleaning them a lot easier.  Takes time to apply, hope this stuff will last longer.  I usually hand wash the bike - lots of rinsing, not much rubbing, including the wheels.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 25 queries.