Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Death rate in overdrive for older motorcyclists  (Read 3447 times)

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
Death rate in overdrive for older motorcyclists
« on: January 27, 2005, 04:13:23 PM »

I find this argument flawed as it does not discuss the rate, just the numbers...it fails to take into account the growing population of older riders.

/Bill

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/01/21/motorcycle.deaths.ap/index.html

Safety experts blame inexperience, age, big engines

Friday, January 21, 2005 Posted: 10:23 PM EST (0323 GMT)

PORTLAND, Maine (AP) -- Mike Cullinan made a midlife course correction, breaking up with his girlfriend and buying himself a big Harley-Davidson motorcycle: a 620-pound Dyna Low Rider with a 1,450-cc, fuel-injected engine....
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

RedFXR2

Re: Death rate in overdrive for older motorcyclist
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 08:14:24 PM »

That same article made the local papers.  Don't know what to make of the stats.  I can see their points in that I do agree that a lot of riders (such as myself) are on their second go-around with bikes.  I was out of the saddle for almost 30 (gulp) years, but because of that, I took the MSF course and am much more cautious now than I was then.   I also have skills (thanks, MSF) that I didn't know were important back then.

My MSF instructor told our class that the far and away most at-risk age group was 18-25, with returning, older riders second.  Maybe things have changed in the last two years.

I think it was at the Myrtle Beach rally last year that ten riders were killed in ten days, setting a notorious record of sorts.  It wouldn't surprise me if most or all of those were older, that is 30 and up, as it seems that most of the major rally (Sturgis, Daytona, Laconia, Hollister, Myrtle Beach) attendees aren't exactly twenty year-olds and there always seems to be a death toll associated with each of those events.

Anyway, I would hope that each rider, regardless of age, would do all in their power to ride safe, thereby preserving themselves and the reputation of the sport as well.

Of course, there's always those bullet bike types....don't get me started, and they aren't "older" riders.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 04:48:43 AM »

I agree w/ both of the above posts. #1 is't very dangerous out there. We know that and need to respect it. You or old, and I'm older, there's far more traffice and an abundance of bad drivers which can and do inflict serious harm on all. Unfortunately, the results of bad drivers, and riders, is felt far more seriously by riders. #2, the stats don't lie. However, the conclusions reached by those who read and generate them can. The same article links to a large number of riders who are now on the roads, while the raw numbers are going up for crashes and fatalities, I've yet to see those numbers expressed in terms or the increasing amount of riders on the road. I'd suggest that the comprehensive study as proposed by the MRF and others as part of the Transportation funding bill is in order and until such study is performed, and reviewed, the continual stats promulgated by the insurance industry and NHTSA are mostly irrelavent and only serve to confuse the situation to they're own ends.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 08:09:55 AM »

Did they give a breakdown on bikes involved crotch rocket, harley, scooters.  I for one couldn't afford a harley when I was younger.  And yeah what we do is extremely dangerous any time you have a 1000lb bike and a 4000lb cage the bike will lose.  Be safe.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

yellowsedeuce

• Senior CVO Member
  • make it two yellows for me

• CVO1: 2004 FXSTDSE2 (sold)
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 08:39:03 AM »

One section in the article mentioned that the 30 & 40 year olds appeared to have been drinking.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2005, 02:01:02 AM by yellowsedeuce »

RedFXR2

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2005, 10:11:27 AM »

One section in the article mentioned that the 30 & 40 year olds appeared to have been drinking.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2005, 05:43:54 PM »

A lot of us do things that increase our exposure to accidents, not only imbibing, but riding too long and getting fatigued, pushing on in a hard rainstorm, rubber-necking the beautiful scenery, getting too comfortable with the bumper to bumper freeway traffic speeds and following distance, etc, etc.   Just have to try to remain cautious, but still ride and enjoy it.
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 06:23:27 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, WFP,
 There are, in my opinion, a lot of Harley owners out there that are "Biker Wannabes", that have absolutely "NO" business on one.  No experience, no MC Safety Training, and no respect for the Motorsickle, or other riders.  Put these begats in concert with booze, and you've got a potential tragedy.  I'm not implying these people don't have a right to ride.  I am saying that when these people happen to be in a group I am riding with, I have the right to get the Hell away from them, and go on down the road!  I will admit that, sometimes, I may ride too fast from time to time.  I always have.  We all have.  But, it's a Wise man that knows his limitations.  I also know that I have never dumped my Motorsickle while I was Sober, and have been real Lucky that a Drunk Driver hasn't hit me!!  Be careful out there!  People ain't lookin' for us!    Later--HUBBARD      
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 07:25:16 PM »

Listen, the thread topic "Death rate in overdrive for older motorcyclists".............I'm in denial about this so can we just let this thread fade into history?  Just wonderin..... [smiley=confused5.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 10:08:52 PM »

Listen, the thread topic "Death rate in overdrive for older motorcyclists".............I'm in denial about this so can we just let this thread fade into history?

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 21 queries.