Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Washing v Wiping  (Read 6150 times)

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
Washing v Wiping
« on: March 26, 2010, 06:45:11 PM »

I have been doing this for years, for you guys that do not want to wash your bike or it's a little dusty from setting all winter. Find an old spray bottle like a Windex bottle, wash it out real good. Now find you 3 or 4 good clean Micro Fiber towels. Mist the bike down from the spray bottle wipe clean and dry with Micro Towel and it will look like you have just washed it. NO I would not do this on a bike that has been caught out in the rain while riding. Takes a few minutes and looks great.

Opossum

• Blue is Faster
  • Senior CVO Member
  • “Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus (gone but not forgotten)
Re: Washing v Wiping
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 10:23:56 PM »

In Texas we don't sit all winter!  I found a "California Duster" made for show cars, don't put scratches in paint, dusts like yo momma was dustin, firm yet fragile, had mine for years and still goin strong.
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

WestCoastRuss

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2014 FXSBSE Sedona Sand
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 10:47:54 PM »

In Texas we don't sit all winter!  I found a "California Duster" made for show cars, don't put scratches in paint, dusts like yo momma was dustin, firm yet fragile, had mine for years and still goin strong.

I would just add....shake the duster out now and again....
Tequila makes her clothes fall off....

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 01:14:07 AM »

I would never use anything that was designed to collect dirt and then turn around and use it again, but what the hey, it's your train you run it how you see fit.

hooligan

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: 09 XB12X Buell Ulysses
    • CVO3: 05 XL883C
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 02:42:08 AM »

Love those micro fiber cloths !!!  :2vrolijk_21:
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me

Razor Red
SE Heavy Breather
V & H Slip ons
Power Commander 3 usb
Diamond cut Cylinders and Heads
True Track
Chrome Inner Primary & Tons of Chrome

yellowhog

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 08:30:32 PM »

I don't know what some guys have against washing their rides.  My brother-in-law NEVER washes his.  He just uses a wet towel and washes a section at a time and wipes it clean.  He had 20,000 on his Street Glide and it looked like it he wiped it with sand paper!  I washed my Ultra frequently and she still looked new at 42,000.  I do the same to my '05 E-Glide and she looks great too.  Washing is ALWAYS better than wiping...that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

harley 4515

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 08:11:24 AM »

I have used DWG International Dry wash n guard Classic for 8years, wonderful stuff. I have just purchased DWG International Ultra-Ion Dry wash.  Just bought 2010 ,the dark side SEUltra. Im really fussy about my bikes. Friends kid me about how clean my bikes are. U can go online to DWG International and buy these products. Ive try turtle wax Ice products, maguiars porducts. I like this product best, goes on easy and comes off easy. Try it , I am sure U will like it. Specially on dark colors !!!

Ohio phil

• C-YA
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 05:53:22 AM »

Yellowhog, Man thats a clean looking 2003, makes me won't to wash my hog and not wipe thanks

yellowhog

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 08:04:27 AM »

You're welcome.  It's all about the LOVE!!

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 04:11:38 PM »

I would just add....shake the duster out now and again....
I shake my CA duster out every time I move to another part of the bike.  USed one for years on street rods and they do work, you do hace to keep them clean so you do not get scratches.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

mark61

• CVO1: '08 SEEG
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 06:24:46 PM »

I don't know what some guys have against washing their rides.  My brother-in-law NEVER washes his.  He just uses a wet towel and washes a section at a time and wipes it clean.  He had 20,000 on his Street Glide and it looked like it he wiped it with sand paper!  I washed my Ultra frequently and she still looked new at 42,000.  I do the same to my '05 E-Glide and she looks great too.  Washing is ALWAYS better than wiping...that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
Hey Yellowhog !!!  Bike looks awsome !!  OK !  I've got my first bike - '08 SEEG - so what product do you use for washing ?  I would not feel good about just "wiping" off.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 06:27:14 PM by mark61 »

Ohio phil

• C-YA
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 07:29:00 AM »

Besides S100 and a powerful leaf blower, the real secret is organization. Have everything ready before starting; have the hose turned on and the leaf blower plugged in.

And to keep things simple I don't use a giant hydraulic lift, just a fold-up one-handed type lift.

Apply the S100 in a logical pattern, rinse it off in a logical pattern and dry the bike in a logical pattern. That way you're not washing, rinsing and drying the same areas two and three times.

Here are the basics from the Tip of the Week page:

http://thp.yuku.com/topic/3055
 This works 15 min. complete
C-YA Ohio Phil

mark61

• CVO1: '08 SEEG
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 02:42:28 PM »

GREAT !!  Thanks alot.  Previous owner used S100 on it as well.  Does it really matter if leaf blower is electric?

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2010, 03:35:00 PM »

:cherry:
I read thru the washing tips in the prior post.......Be careful with the S-100.  They say "don't let it dry or it will leave a milky film"...........If you don't rinse it all off fairly quickly,  it'll do more than leave a film........it will f*** up some chrome parts in a heart beat.

My buddy sprayed it on his Fatboy and then got distracted talking to a neighbor that walked by........so he didn't do the rinse for 30 minutes or so......when he did,  found some messed up chrome. :oops:   

daleg3556

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 02:13:44 PM »

Maybe that's why my butt always itches.  Wiping when I should be washing?  Just a thought :huepfenjump3:

2007 SERK
2008 FXDC 105th S/N 0001/2000
2009 Indian Chief Roadmaster
IBA #47074

I'm working as hard as I can to get my life and my cash to run out at the same time. If I can just die after lunch Tuesday, everything will be perfect...Doug Sanders
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 21 queries.