Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chrome "quality" over the years  (Read 2473 times)

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
Chrome "quality" over the years
« on: April 09, 2013, 08:00:58 AM »

:nixweiss:
A question for those of you that have owned more than one Harley and can compare.  I've had four of them since the early 90's and I'm thinking the quality of the chrome such as on the primary cover and other engine parts and elsewhere is (not) as good now on later models as it was on my '93 Dyna Wide Glide. :confused5:

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
Re: Chrome "quality" over the years
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 04:32:54 PM »

There are very few things that are equal to the same product of 20 years ago, except technology Chrome is only one example  :nixweiss:
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

ozrider

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 07:53:48 PM »

You're correct, the quality just isn't there anymore.

I was told that the majority of the chrome on the later machines, as are the parts are manufactured in another Country !
and the chrome is not of a high standard. This applies to the parts used on the assembly line.

However, the same, or replacement parts sold in the blister packs and individually (the ones made in USA) are much better quality chrome.

A mate of mine just had quite a lot of the nuts and bolts on his '11 Softail Convertible changed out by the dealer under warranty because the chrome had started to rust badly.

Look for the "made in USA" signature and things look a lot better.

Win Lotto, Go back to Sturgis,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Never go home!

D-N-D

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTKSE Limited / Moonlight Blue & Deep Sea Blue
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 05:59:42 AM »

H.D Chrome Sucks, I had a few bikes I need to have some of the chrome replaced under warranty.
DND

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 08:11:57 AM »

I took the factory tour yesterday as I'm in the area for some training classes. During my after tour conversation we had talked about the chrome. The chrome is no longer done in house (by hd) like it was at one time. The chrome is done locally from what the tour guide was telling us. The vast majority of changes came with the move from the old plant to the new building. These changes came as a way to keep HD in York as opposed to moving elsewhere. Trust me I had lots of questions... More than an old tour guide wanted to answer....
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

prs4guitars

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 05:00:40 PM »

My 2008 FLHRSE has a lot of peeling, flaking chrome. Brake pedal, oil cooler, rear bag support, heavy breather, and I could go one. Just another cost cutting measure by HD. my old softail was almost perfect, never had an issue.

93-331-29psi

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Candy Cobalt/Twilight BLUE RG
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 07:00:35 PM »

That's what they make powder for...  It's cheaper more durable and you don't have to polish it. HD chrome sucks!

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 10:14:48 PM »

It's not just the chrome on the bikes that lack quality these days...

hdblackice2007

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 07:48:06 PM »

8) 8) 8) 8) chrome sucks now my 2000 flstc looks alot better then my 2007 se roadking  :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

j f go

• Junior CVO Member
  • 112.77 HP 118 FT TQ
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 08:08:54 PM »

My 07 SE only has an issue with the front wheel pealing. Bought a powderedcoated one and with the Black ice paint it really looks good. When I need a new rear tire I'll get the back one done too. How ever With 8k on the clock I really think Harley should go good for it but there I go thinking again. :nixweiss:

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 23 queries.