Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Insurance Time Again  (Read 2032 times)

oe542bob

• Full CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7(traded)
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHTKSE(traded)
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHXSE(traded) ‘19 FLHXSE(traded) ‘21 FLHXSE
Insurance Time Again
« on: April 28, 2019, 05:04:13 PM »

:soapbox:
Just got my new insurance notice. Ugh. If I pay for the year up front: $700.00
If I want to make payments: then it will be $843.50
I’m in PA, good driving record, never had a motorcycle claim
Current bike is a ‘19 FLHXSE
And in PA, there is no insurance on the rider, just passenger has some coverage.
Do I, or should I shop for a different company? Or is this the new norm for MC rates?

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
Re: Insurance Time Again
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 05:30:18 PM »

Shopping for insurance is like asking who makes the best tires. Wayyy too many variables for accurate answers unless someone who lives in your area and is almost identical in age, bike, credit score...etc can chime in.

Sent from my boring Droid phone.

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 05:31:05 PM »

Shopping for insurance is like asking who makes the best tires. Wayyy too many variables for accurate answers unless someone who lives in your area and is almost identical in age, bike, credit score...etc can chime in.

Sent from my boring Droid phone.

X2.

Shop around, only well rated companies.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 06:35:20 PM »

Rate you mention is not bad. But rate is not what matters, it's what you get for that money. Coverages are the deal. A 10K Liab policy with Market Value Collision (if totalled) and $1000 deductible would be worth very little. But a $250.00 deductible, 300K Liability and Book Value replacement (total loss) and enough med pay to get you into the emergency room that covers tow and LABOR to tow + tow yard storage would not be to bad at $700.00.
Get, what you pay for. Ask for "Full Coverage", which is not A coverage but a group of coverages for cheapest preminum and you will have minumal coverage payments when you need them. Get enough insurance coverage for the worst case, because any accident where you and the bike are hurt is a worst case.

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 12:11:30 PM »

Insurance companies typically give the cheaper rate to "new" business, hoping that folks will just automatically renew without shopping around.  I have an independent agent that will call me sometimes before mine is going to renew and tells me not to send them a check because she can find better.  Just the way the business works.

oe542bob

• Full CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 03:36:27 PM »

Insurance companies typically give the cheaper rate to "new" business, hoping that folks will just automatically renew without shopping around.  I have an independent agent that will call me sometimes before mine is going to renew and tells me not to send them a check because she can find better.  Just the way the business works.
Yea. I was thinking about this too. I’m gonna call my guy and ask about that.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 08:04:59 AM »

The companies have several incentives to keep your business also - vanishing deductibles, accident forgiveness and loyalty discounts, etc.  This might be important should you have a claim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 08:15:17 AM »

Another trick to lowering insurance cost that works for me. I have a second bike that doesn't even run that I keep insurance on. Since it is worth  considerably less than my CVO and it is only possible to ride one bike at a time it lowers my total insurance cost. In other words my total insurance for the two bikes is less than what it would cost me to ensure the CVO by itself.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 09:52:22 AM »

Be glad you're not in BC! To have the bike on the road I need ICBC....7 months is right around $1000......to cover my bike I can get private insurance for less than ICBC....about $1000 for the whole year.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 06:58:19 PM »

Here in the UK I received  my insurance renewal at 168.00 up from 132.00 I paid for last year. I did some shopping around online and found I could get the same coverage for 123.00.
The crazy thing about it was it was with the same company. When I called them and asked them why are you charging me 168.00 to automatically renew my coverage that's 36.00 pound more then last year and I  if I get it online with you it's 123.00 that's 45.00 pounds more you're charging me to automatically renew. 

ANSWER!!
That's because you can get it cheaper by doing it online  :huepfenjump3:  :-\ I left that one there,.......
Then of course I told her to cancel the auto renewal gave her the "online " reference # and got the year at 123.00 for full comprehensive, that covers lawyer fees, unlimited breakdown callouts and transported to the nearest HD shop, lost key replacement, helmet and riding gear replacement due to an accident,  pillion coverage. Plus a no claims protection that blocks my rates from going up if I have a clam.

For me anyway it's online buying

oe542bob

• Full CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2019, 09:32:55 PM »

Talked to my insurance guy today. Did some checking around and I’ll be going with Dairyland. Saving $75 for the year, same coverage. Actually Dairyland allows $5,000 for custom parts, whereas Safeco allowance is $3,000.

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2019, 12:15:32 PM »

Gotta remember that insurance companies are in the premium collection business with insurance just being a side bar...I shopped around when my company raised my premium for no apparent reason other than greed (no tickets, no claims, no new vehicles).  I was able to save a whopping 33% with much better coverage by going with an equally reputable competitor.  When I called to cancel my old insurance, they were shocked and said but you’ve been with us for 16 years and I said yeah I know, it seems like you would treat me better.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2019, 01:46:44 PM »

Registered my bike in GA. Insurance much more then in Virginia...
Bill

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2019, 01:51:45 AM »

Another trick to lowering insurance cost that works for me. I have a second bike that doesn't even run that I keep insurance on. Since it is worth  considerably less than my CVO and it is only possible to ride one bike at a time it lowers my total insurance cost. In other words my total insurance for the two bikes is less than what it would cost me to ensure the CVO by itself.

The multiple vehicle discount...

If I needed it I would insure my old GSXR that may never run again... (I said I would resurrect it.. that hasn't happened in 5 years)

At least I still have the Wife's 'king she never rides...

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2019, 09:35:31 AM »

$287 per year - OHIO -  full coverage ALL year.

State Farm with multiple policies discount (house, care, Umbrella, etc)

Good coverage limits, etc, but a $2500 deductible.  Higher deductible saves $$$ in premiums along with no claims of any kind in over 20 years.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 25 queries.