Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Better lighting for night riding  (Read 1713 times)

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
Better lighting for night riding
« on: September 05, 2011, 11:37:01 PM »

What are guys doing to improve the stock headlight lighting?
  Gary

Rhodsman

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2009 Custom Rocker
Re: Better lighting for night riding
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 12:13:47 AM »

HD HID headlamp.Bright!

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 01:08:50 AM »

If you use the search function here,  you will find numerous threads and opions on both HID and LED lighting. 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 01:19:16 AM »

Motolights help also :

gaphatty

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 08:27:08 AM »

Motolights help also :

x2  :2vrolijk_21:

Motolights make a huge difference is night-time riding on the Street Glide (light up the ditches so hopefully you'll see Bambi before she jumps) and you will immediately notice cars reacting to your approach at a much greater distance.  A bit pricey but well worth it.

harris48cars

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 11:39:43 AM »

If you use the search function here,  you will find numerous threads and opions on both HID and LED lighting. 

I understand what you are saying Greg about the search feature and I have used it before. I don't like it as much as some others may. The reason being, it can have old outdated technologie or something new may be out there that hasn't been posted at all, unless prompted by a new thread. But mainly, if everyone just used a search engine there would be a lot less board conversation which I like to see. I am now going to the search site.
 Gary

PASN YU

• Ride Hard
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2019 FLTRXSE Mako Shark
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 11:45:10 AM »

HD's new LED headlight is pretty awesome. Lights up the road like no other headlight will. It comes in either black or chrome and is a little pricey at over $500. To me, it's worth it.
Trust, but verify.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 11:51:28 AM »

Gary I thought you would get your information faster with the search engine.  JC rides a Street Glide and recently posted a great comparison between HID and LED lighting.   You can find it by going through his posts.  On a RG, I don't have the LED option.  Very happy with my HID's from Xenonlink.com though.  About $75. for a single.  Good luck.  

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2017 Indian Jack Daniels Edition Chieftan
    • CVO3: 2019 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 02:29:36 PM »

Harley HID, you won't be dissapointed!
The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, those are really good days.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 03:58:36 PM »

Harley HID, you won't be dissapointed!
If you compare virtually every option out there, side by side, the Harley HID is by far the worse performing there is.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 04:33:40 PM »

I have a request for those who are fixated on increasing the number and power of the lights on their vehicles.  PLEASE aim the stuff properly and try to remember that the purpose is not to pizz off or blind everyone else on the highway.  If cars react to your lights, I assume that's because your lights are blasting the driver's in the eye rather than lighting the road.  For those who think that's a good thing (kind of like loud pipes), let me know what you think after that old guy you blinded winds up sharing the lane with you because he can't see the lines on the road.

Btw, mounting high intensity lights on an unsprung part of the vehicle, like with the Motolights mounted to the calipers or lower legs, is especially irritating.  Nothing more irritating IMHO than a constantly shaking misaligned light coming at you.  If you must add additional auxiliary lights, at least mount them on a sprung part of the bike, like the upper forks, frame, or the engine guards.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

jagerbomb

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG2
    • CVO2: 2015 SESG
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 10:44:51 PM »

HD's new LED headlight is pretty awesome. Lights up the road like no other headlight will. It comes in either black or chrome and is a little pricey at over $500. To me, it's worth it.

Best investment you will make is the LED headlight. I would but it again. I tried PIAA's, HID'S, and stock. LED all the way

Manvessel

• CVO1: '11 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 11:37:45 PM »

I, too, like LED's.  I do lighting set-ups for alot of functions (ie concerts, videos etc) and LED's are making quite a noise in that industry.  They have two BIG positives.  #1: They generate a pure white light that you can't get from HID's (blue tint), incandencent (yellow tint) or flourecent (green tint) and when you want to be noticed, bright white works the best daytime or night.  #2:  LED's have the best light produced per amps ratio of all other types of lighting.  This keeps you from over-taxing the electrical system on the bike (especially the battery, fuses and wiring).  I have the fork-mounted driving lights and they work great for close/wide dispersion, but no one makes an LED set-up for the dual headlights on the RGU, so have had to settle for HID.  Have been running them on high beam at night and have had no complaints from on-coming vehicles.  If anyone knows of an LED set-up for the "Glide", please FYI.  THANX!!!

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 11:09:22 AM »

One other benefit of the LED's is the lower amp draw, which in turn helps when running heated gear and such.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 22 queries.