Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Dang Nab Weather  (Read 1820 times)

WildmanUltra

• Wildman
  • Full CVO Member
  • Scars only show where we've been, Live Life
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset
    • CVO2: 2011 Road Glide Ultra
    • CVO3: 2010 Road Glide Custom
Dang Nab Weather
« on: September 29, 2019, 01:47:52 PM »

For those of us up here in the PNW we are getting hit with some unseasonably cold weather and SNOW.

While I am not a huge fan anymore of riding when the weather gets much below 45* I'll ride even later if I need to. But this weekend is making me wonder if I need to just park the bike for the winter. If I do it could mean that I don't ride again until March or April. Most years even though I live up in the mountains of WA I can ride until the end of Oct or early Nov. And some years I've been riding as early as Feb. Hope you all get to ride more than I am right now. Stay safe and see you all soon out on the roads.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Dang Nab Weather
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 03:10:20 PM »

It's love bug season here in the Buggy Swamp Jungle state.  After the bugs leave we enter our best riding season, lasts until....late May.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 03:18:17 PM »

This my front drive in Calgary, Alberta.

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 03:19:29 PM »

2nd pic

WildmanUltra

• Wildman
  • Full CVO Member
    • WA

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 06:16:29 PM »

Dang I don't have any snow at my house yet just snow on all the pass's around me. Then to top it off it's raining here and a nice warm 41* out. But the way it's going I might have snow before long. I need to move the bike out of the garage and get my snowblower inside and get it running before it gets any colder out. Didn't do my PMCS on it last year and had to hand shovel my driveway. Not wanting to repeat that this year.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 08:45:15 PM »

I ride year round as long as no snow or salt on the road.  I will ride as cold as 15 degrees.  I consider 40's very comfortable riding weather.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

WildmanUltra

• Wildman
  • Full CVO Member
    • WA

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 10:21:23 PM »

I ride year round as long as no snow or salt on the road.  I will ride as cold as 15 degrees.  I consider 40's very comfortable riding weather.

Is that with heated riding gear? Once it gets down close to freezing I start to worry about black ice and stuff. I have a Tour Master riding suit but no heated gear so like I said 40* was about it for me. Also prior to my amputation my leg didn't like the cold at all so I couldn't ride unless I could keep it warm and I tried a ton of stuff that just never worked.

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 11:38:45 PM »

Spokane broke a record for measurable amount of snow in September that was set in 1926.
We had wet snow that bent the plants in the yard and covered the grass.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2019, 06:32:48 AM »

Was 95 here yesterday lol

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2019, 07:30:57 AM »

Sp far so good in Virginia. Most years I ride year round. Not so much when I lived in Minnesota...
Bill

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2019, 08:43:34 PM »

Is that with heated riding gear? Once it gets down close to freezing I start to worry about black ice and stuff. I have a Tour Master riding suit but no heated gear so like I said 40* was about it for me. Also prior to my amputation my leg didn't like the cold at all so I couldn't ride unless I could keep it warm and I tried a ton of stuff that just never worked.
Yes, below 45 I wear my Gerbing heated Jacket liner, pants and gloves.  Very comfortable. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

mark

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2019, 09:46:21 PM »

On Wednesday I'm heading to the Barber Motorsports Vintage Motorcycle Festival in Birmingham, AL.  Temps will be in the mid to hi 90s...I'll take a little of that snow. 

WildmanUltra

• Wildman
  • Full CVO Member
    • WA

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2019, 09:52:16 PM »

Yes, below 45 I wear my Gerbing heated Jacket liner, pants and gloves.  Very comfortable.

This is something I have yet to invest in as most of the time once it's below 32* around here I have snow. But I just might need to get some and try it out. Could extend my riding time a month or so.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2019, 10:04:15 AM »

I'm thinking maybe the heated pants would be good for keeping your damaged leg  warm as I think I read one of your post about the cold making it painful.  I only have the heated jacket liner and man is it nice when the temps are cold and that sucker warms you up nice as it heats up.

WildmanUltra

• Wildman
  • Full CVO Member
    • WA

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2019, 10:44:34 AM »

I'm thinking maybe the heated pants would be good for keeping your damaged leg  warm as I think I read one of your post about the cold making it painful.  I only have the heated jacket liner and man is it nice when the temps are cold and that sucker warms you up nice as it heats up.

Actually it was before my amputation that I had issues with the cold on my lower leg and foot. I don't know yet if my stump has issues with the cold since this is only my second winter since my amputation. Now I only have one foot to have to keep warm and dry. My residual limb so far seems to do okay with the cold but won't know for sure for a while.

I've looked at the chaps liners before and thought that they might be nice. https://www.amazon.com/Gears-Canada-Heated-Chaps-Gender/dp/B0067EZN64

I want to get a heated liner for my jacket and some heated gloves. This is my first bike with heated grips so I am finding out how much I really like them. 

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2019, 10:19:25 AM »

Ok, well I would start with the heated jacket liner. For me when that thing starts warming up you forget about the rest of your body being cold. At least that is how it is for me. Especially when I remember riding in 20 degree weather as a young kid without any good gear or even gloves but still I rode. To me it's like throwing a blanket in the dryer when you have the flu and wrapping it around you.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2019, 10:25:08 AM »

I will also say if the temps are real cold and you ride for say an hour or more, when you come to a stop better pump your legs so your one foot won't be to numb to hold you up. Happened to me one time only and almost dropped it.

ultrarider123

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2019, 11:10:48 AM »

This is something I have yet to invest in as most of the time once it's below 32* around here I have snow. But I just might need to get some and try it out. Could extend my riding time a month or so.

While some of our group use heated gear, I've never invested in those items.  I'm not saying it's not a good idea but I've always found good, well insulated layer items that fit the bill very nicely for me.  Harley had a great jacket (that I recently sold) that I used for temps below 35-40 or so on long rides using the layering method.  Even in extreme cold (say 25-32 for a good day-long ride), the layering works for me.  Rode to Houston a couple years back in November (about 2,000 miles round trip) and it was in the 35-45 range down, 35-60 range home and I was fine.  My hands are the only thing that suffers in any cool/cold weather and without the heated grips and now that I'm getting a bit older, I would probably have to invest in some kind of heated glove.  Keeping the core warm is the main thing and I've accomplished that without electric to this point.

The last couple of years I've invested in the Duluth Trading company Alaskan Hard Gear.  Dang, that stuff is purt-near weather proof.  I used it (before all the heart stuff) last year for a good 25-35 degree riding day and it was awesome...again using layers.

For your leg issues, Rooster is probably right for you to invest in the heated pants/chaps.

:jack: By the way, I haven't stated this yet but thank you for your service and sacrifice for this country and in not letting the bumps in life keep you from the sport of motorcycling.  Was at Roads of Atlanta a few years ago...guy on a older model Electra Glide with a HD sidecar...Semper Fi sticker on the sidecar.  He had hand controls for all the foot operations, wheelchair in the sidecar.  He parked, maneuvered the wheelchair in place, hopped right on it and rolled off to watch the racing.  I will NEVER forget that and use it from time to time in keeping me motivated when I don't want to do something...Sorry for the thread jack, just wanted to thank you...keep it between the ditches... :bananarock:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 11:14:10 AM by Haird »

WildmanUltra

• Wildman
  • Full CVO Member
    • WA

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2019, 01:17:39 PM »

I've got a Jeep club meeting tomorrow night and keep going back and forth on riding my bike or just wimping out and driving my truck. I met another amputee a few weeks ago who is an above knee and he rides a trike. He wants to try and get in a few more rides before winter sets in. So I'll be going on a few more rides I hope. As I said I have some insulated riding gear but my gloves are lacking but I think I am going to try some snowmobile gloves and see how they do.

If I get heated gear it won't be until next season. I have got other things I want to spend money on right now.

Safe riding to everyone and hope it is a mild winter for everyone.

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2019, 01:25:56 PM »

Once you do buy your heated gear you're going to kick yourself for not buying it sooner. For now just get a good quality jacket liner, not a vest, and a dual wireless/bluetooth controller. My preference is Gerbing. It will be money very well spent!
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 24 queries.